JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I go up there all the time, 10-15 times a year. They always ask me if I have any guns or knives in the car, what I do or a living, where I'm going, have a nice day. I never thought about it, but in retrospect maybe they could see my expired CPL on their screen. We'll see what happens when I go to Victoria this weekend with my freshly renewed CPL.

I've got a couple of contacts who are LEO, one in Washington, the other south of the river. I'll ask them.... since they're out in the patrol cars, they'll know. Based on the laws currently in place, I see no way they can legally know that under those circumstances. If it is true, perhaps there should be legal action initiated to put a stop to it. No way can they lawfully get the info from the FFL Dealer's sales books for a general database. Nor from DOL on handgun purchases.

No way can they lawfully get the info from the FFL Dealer's sales books for a general database. Nor from DOL on handgun purchases.

I don't think they get the info (if they get it at all) from the FFL dealer, per se'. The firearms (and stripped AR lowers) I've purchased through an FFL, the serial number, make, and model were always verbally given to the background check person on the other end (which you KNOW they record)... why? All that should be given to them is my personal info, and then they look on the IAFIS to see if I'm OK to purchase a firearm. I've submitted so many sets of finger prints over the years from prior service, employment, and "sensitive transactions" that I KNOW I'm already in there. :s0131:

I don't think they get the info (if they get it at all) from the FFL dealer, per se'. The firearms (and stripped AR lowers) I've purchased through an FFL, the serial number, make, and model were always verbally given to the background check person on the other end (which you KNOW they record)... why? All that should be given to them is my personal info, and then they look on the IAFIS to see if I'm OK to purchase a firearm. I've submitted so many sets of finger prints over the years from prior service, employment, and "sensitive transactions" that I KNOW I'm already in there. :s0131:

Yes, they do submit the info for the NICS check through the FBI.

HOWEVER... by llaw, that record is to be destroyed within 48 hours. Congress have tried to require that be kept, even put into a database, but so far that has not been made into law. You do raise an interesting point about WHY the need for the firearms info.. make, model, serial number. If they are checking ME to see whether I've bumped off any LE in the past month or two, that info is not germaine to their query. All the same, the entire lot of data is supposed to be dumped within 48 hours, by law. Also,by law, it certainly cannot be preserved long term in any accessible form, thus I don't think that could be the means LE have access to information on what guns I might own.

A few years ago my wife talked me into going to Victoria. (I didn't want to) We took the ferry from Seattle, arrived, and started the customs procedure. They found out I had a 2nd degree assault (misdemeanor) conviction from 1994. They put me in a little cubicle, and interrogated me like I was a murder suspect. They held my passport and made us take the next ferry home. I showed them my CPL, (I left my pistol at home, of course) and explained that since then I had sold firearms at a sporting goods store, and had driven armored car for Brinks, so I'd been pretty thoroughly checked out. That didn't make any difference, we still had to leave. On the bright side, my wife will never again ask me if I will go to Canada!
Did you get your passport back? Because I'm very sure they can't just keep it, unless there are circumstances that permit it, such as it being fake or stolen, but I'm sure if that was the case you wouldn't be posting here right now.

North Bender no offence taken it is a forum to chat and i just like the chance to chat.

It is very annoying though and it is only going to get worse.

The question that is on everyones minds (I am sure) is what can We do to prevent it?
The polititions lie to us out right.
So what can We do to get it under control.

I would love to be able to pack a sidearm when I am out working in the bush. This is where I am most of the time.
Would love to be able to order reloading parts and pieces from the US as We pay through the teeth up here.
It is totally annoying and just plain stupid.

Ken.

I believe Americans can bring long guns into Canada for hunting as long as they are shipped properly and have any required paperwork in order. Please tell me if I am mistaken.
Can Canadiens hunt in the US with similar precautions?

Did you get your passport back? Because I'm very sure they can't just keep it, unless there are circumstances that permit it, such as it being fake or stolen, but I'm sure if that was the case you wouldn't be posting here right now.

Yes, they handed it back to me as we boarded the ferry. You know, when I was arrested for assault in Idaho way back when (it was self defense, but I had no way to prove it) I was treated with a lot more respect than I was by Customs in Victoria.

Found this for y'all:

CROSSING THE BORDER
ENTERING CANADA WITH FIREARMS

This point is so important that it bears stressing first:

DO NOT EVEN THINK OF ATTEMPTING TO CROSS THE BORDER INTO CANADA WITH A PROHIBITED FIREARM.

There is no way that you can legally enter Canada with a prohibited firearm. This likely includes your concealed carry pistol. Canadian Customs will be looking for it. Leave it at home.

You can't enter Canada with a restricted firearm unless you have an Authorization to Transport. If you have a handgun that is not prohibited, then it is restricted; if you don't have an Authorization to Transport (which you need to obtain well in advance) you can't bring it in. Leave it at home.

Even if you have an Authorization to Transport for a restricted firearm, you can't carry it unless you also have an Authorization to Carry which is almost impossible to get. In general, forget about carrying a sidearm while in Canada.

Make certain that you are in complete compliance with the transport regulations.

Canadian Customs may try to bait you, e.g. by asking you to agree that this all is a good thing. Don't rise to it. Canada is not our country; we have nothing to say about their laws. Remember that you're being subject to the "attitude test."

You definitely will be pulled aside for inspection when you show up at the border with handguns, and probably will be pulled aside even if you only have long guns.

You'll probably also be subject to a vehicle search. It won't be a big deal unless you fail the attitude test or try to pull a fast one. They've never gone as far as taking my vehicle apart, but I once cooled my heels for the better part of an hour and on two other occasions was held up for over a half hour. I wasn't worried, as I had made a complete declaration and I knew that their search would show so. The way I look at it: I expect to be delayed and my stuff thoroughly rummaged, and I am pleasantly surprised when it doesn't happen.

Actually, it can be fun if you're a PAL holder. Canadian Customs is disappointed that they don't get to collect the fee from you. US Customs is disappointed that they don't get ahold of a Non-Resident Firearms Declaration. Either way, they are surprised. It's particularly entertaining when the Canadian Customs agent is one of the summer kids. Fortunately, they'll quickly call over a full-timer who knows what to do.

If you don't have a PAL and registration certificate, you'll have to fill out the Non-Resident Firearms Declaration form and pay the fee. If you have restricted firearms, they'll check your ATT, and will also inspect your handguns to make sure that you have them in a locked box with a trigger lock.

Assuming that all your paperwork is in order (especially the ATT if you have handguns), you are in compliance with the transport regulations, and you don't rise to being baited, you'll be passed through the border without excessive difficulty. You probably will be delayed, especially if you have handguns. I've never been delayed more than an hour. Plan for it. Patience and a sense of humor helps.

It is not necessary to comply with the more complex storage regulations if you are in compliance with the transport regulations and the firearms stays in the vehicle at all times. On the other hand, Canadian Customs seems to be happier if you go the extra mile (extra kilometer?) and comply with the storage regulations too even if you're just transporting; in other words, consider putting a trigger lock on the long guns too.

Remember what I said about the attitude test. Sometimes, Customs agents get a bit sour after having one dingbat after another try to pull something on them. Set an example as a fine, upstanding, law-abiding gunowner who strictly follows all laws and regulations. You just might make things easier for the next guy.

A record of your gun purchases is kept and available to LEOs.

A few years back a hold was put on a gun I was buying. I called the Sheriff's office to see what was up. They were instantly able to tell me their records showed I had purchased xx number of firearms in the past.

Not sure about their laws, but I have been able to go to canada with a loaded shotgun in the vehicle. They looked around, asked about fruits and veggies, firearms, etc. Told them, they asked to see it, they took a look at it (visually) and wished us well. It might have been different since it was a motorhome, but still the entire process took no more than 5 minutes.

Yes, they do submit the info for the NICS check through the FBI.

HOWEVER... by llaw, that record is to be destroyed within 48 hours. Congress have tried to require that be kept, even put into a database, but so far that has not been made into law. You do raise an interesting point about WHY the need for the firearms info.. make, model, serial number. If they are checking ME to see whether I've bumped off any LE in the past month or two, that info is not germaine to their query. All the same, the entire lot of data is supposed to be dumped within 48 hours, by law. Also,by law, it certainly cannot be preserved long term in any accessible form, thus I don't think that could be the means LE have access to information on what guns I might own.

I hear ya, but then again the goobermint is SUPPOSED/NOT SUPPOSED to do a LOT of things "by law", but it does/doesn't anyway... :(

I've flown light planes through Canada many times. It seems like every time I go it gets worse. I've thought many times about lying about having a powerful handgun for bears, but besides my God given abhorrence of lying it just didn't seem worth the terrestrial problems. On every trip I've been armed with a rifle of some kind.

I feel so sad for Canadians, because they are such great people, friendly, easy to talk with (West coast only, I haven't been to the East coast) and they seem to be the kind of people I'd like to live around.

To me it seems like they live in a prison state as far as the right to keep and bear arms goes. I've talked with Canadians who say they don't have significant restrictions, then you question them about common freedoms here and they begin to say "well, yeah, handguns."

Anyway, I always wondered if I would be thinking of the stupid politicians in Canada as I was being crunched by a bear, but generally when I pass through I stay inside airport bounds, so it would only be a possibility if there were an engine failure.

I and two friends are talking about a trip to Alaska this year, but the border seems like too much hassle. They won't allow 'assault rifles', and that's all I have. There is no way I'm flying through Canada without a way to negotiate with bears, I've seen the photos.

One reason they want the firearm info.is to check the stolen firearm data base.

Well that SEEMS like a good point, BUT if you're buying a brand new firearm (and from a FFL at that) that is a moot point... and if a FFL buys and/or accepts a trade-in "used" (prior worshipped) firearm they could run it through the data base prior to THAT transaction so then it wouldn't be "connected" to any subsequent buyer, again making that a moot point.... IMHO :s0155:

I think we should invade Canada and take control of it.. The whole province of BC can be merged with Washington.. This way, we can go visit the beautiful mountains of British COlumbia without the loss of our gun rights. Canada doesn't have much of an army, I think it will be a quick victory.. :s0114::s0112::s0114:

I think we should invade Canada and take control of it.. The whole province of BC can be merged with Washington.. This way, we can go visit the beautiful mountains of British COlumbia without the loss of our gun rights. Canada doesn't have much of an army, I think it will be a quick victory.. :s0114::s0112::s0114:

Aye, they've noo got much of an Army, lads, but moind the Mounties, eh?. Oh, an doon't be leavin off the Bye Scowts....... they're a wee lot, but fearsome, they are.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top