JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Went to Whistler a coupla years ago with friends. One butthole had a t.r.o. slapped on him by his ex and neglected to tell us. We were all pulled out of the suburban and nearly subjected to a proctological exam. I made him ride in the back on the fold down seat. ( he is 6'3, 280 lbs. What a fun two hour diversion that was. I was sweating the Benchmade folder in my pants pocket for the rest of the week. Greydog.

Yeah, it's sad how a few big cities can influence such a massive area of small towns and rural lifestyle. The disparity of representation is extremely unfair.
What's even sadder (sic) is when MPs (Members of Parliament for our US friends) from rural Canada get to Ottawa....They forget the bush and become "stoopid city folk".....There must be something in the water there....

What's even sadder (sic) is when MPs (Members of Parliament for our US friends) from rural Canada get to Ottawa....They forget the bush and become "stoopid city folk".....There must be something in the water there....

Same thing happens down here: Politician-us Bigheadae SelfImportan-us. (Wow an-us is on the NWFA bleep out list)

I can't go there. I got a misdemeanor DUI, 10 years ago. paid my fine, jumped through the hoops, got my license back. But when I went to the border, they turned me around, and said that I've been banned. For a traffic misdemeanor.

This is the same country that made it legal to grow pot, and created a huge black market from BC to WA. Lots of good American college kids lives have been ruined, by getting involved with the heck's angels, and running the border, for pot. They do have good fishing up there. Lots of boating and 4 wheeler fun, but you can do that here in Wa too.

I didn't even get a chance to tell them about my concealed pistol permit. I probably will never set foot on canadian soil ever again. Bunch of tea sipping, left wing, sissies anyway. Why is it anyone's business if you own handguns in your home state?

The US does the exact same thing to Canadians so it's Tit for Tat.

It's good to see that for the overwhelming majority this issue hasn't devolved into cross-border bashing. I worked in Canada for years in the 1980 and I love the place and I met a lot of great people. It appears the U.S readers here feel similarily.

The purpose of the post was to alert that Canadian customs apparently has access to the list of WA concealed carry permit holders and this has brought increased scrutinity down on those who do. That may be news to a lot of readers; it was to me.

I wonder if this information is only stored/shown if you have the "Enhanced ID" WA DL. If you present a passport - I bet they don't get the information.

I suspect the Canadian Border guys want to prevent an incident for Americans as much as prevent guns from entering their country. If you forgot and took a handgun into Canada and happen to be caught with it then that is going to play out a lot worse than getting turned around at the border.

I wonder if this information is only stored/shown if you have the "Enhanced ID" WA DL. If you present a passport - I bet they don't get the information.
I am not sure...I do know that they can and will access your "record".....Better have a good explanation for any discrepancies between what you "reported" and what's on your record..

Last spring went to the Cody Gunshow put on by The Winchester Group there. Great show.
On the way down all 4 of us got the same questions.
Any Booze, Tabacoo or Firearms.
Do you own any fire arms.
Do you haveany on your person or in the vehicle.

The US Border Boys know what we have by looking at their computer screen We are all registered to own.
You boys are registered or trying to get registered to carry, WHO GIVES YOU THIS PERMIT? H@ll that is like being registered.

There are people up here that have Carry Permits most of them out of Utah. Don't know what that gets them because unless they are invited to a shoot or have a valid hunt they can't get their pistolla's to the border.

The permit I get up here is to anny Range in Alberta for five years. If you are a rookie you will probably only get it for a year and to your home range.
The shortest most direct way to and from the range.

Lets find out what We can do as North Americans to get this BS corrected.

Not being Racist here but a Native American has her built he can work where he wants live where he wants. They can't stop him from entering into either country. ( Maybe a sever criminal charge would put a halt on there crossing.

Ken.

I will probably get flamed for this, but I see no reason whatsoever to require passports in order to cross between Canada and the US.

Think about it. It is the largest unguarded border on earth. There are no shortage of uncontrolled roads that anyone can drive or walk across without stopping.

I think that the border controls are really more about job security for the various federal agencies that are in charge of enforcing them.

soberups
I don't think you will get very far if you walk past the boarder. The observation stuff that the Americans have is totally awesome. The little planes that do videos and no pilots and radar stuff that they are always updating and perfecting, it is the perfect place for them to fool proof this stuff.
If one was to do it the best place would be into Quebec through th Kahnsatakay (Spelling) Reservation. This is the one that is always being watched by authorities in both countries.

It probably isn,t impossible to cross but I think you would really make someone cranky if you did.
The board would be great if you could drive up to and cross but that is never ever going to be there are way to many cfrooks, thieves and morons in this old world.

Ken.

Not sure if it's been said. Every time you're pulled over or your info is run the following things are seen as linked together:
License plates of your vehicles
Your Drivers License
Every gun you've ever purchased through a dealer or not purchased but had your info run on.

soberups
I don't think you will get very far if you walk past the boarder. The observation stuff that the Americans have is totally awesome. The little planes that do videos and no pilots and radar stuff that they are always updating and perfecting, it is the perfect place for them to fool proof this stuff.
If one was to do it the best place would be into Quebec through th Kahnsatakay (Spelling) Reservation. This is the one that is always being watched by authorities in both countries.

It probably isn,t impossible to cross but I think you would really make someone cranky if you did.
The board would be great if you could drive up to and cross but that is never ever going to be there are way to many cfrooks, thieves and morons in this old world.

Ken.

I guess the thing I cant understand is....why is it even necessary to have border controls with Canada?

We can drive across state lines freely. You Canucks can drive across provincial lines freely. Our two nations have enough in common that I dont see why we should need to show much more than a drivers lisence when crossing the border.

Almost all the Western European countries have eliminated border checkpoints and allow free travel between nations. I fail to see why we cannot have a similar relationship with Canada. Our legal and economic systems are compatible enough that there isnt any reason to have controls in my opinion.

soberups
It is an international border and your polititions are just as scared of the Canadians as they are every other nationality in the world. With that said the Canadian government is just as scared of you Yankee boys as they are every other nationality in the world.

The shat part is how many of the citizens in thes two nations have relatives in the other country?

Politics!!!!!!!!!

Ken.

I have a cabin in the BC interior and go up 8-10 times/year. My wife and I also both have BC licenses to carry and purchase long guns. We both have concealed WA carry permits and these have never come up! On the other hand we barely avoided full body cavity searches last month over an apple we'd forgotten about!

Not sure if it's been said. Every time you're pulled over or your info is run the following things are seen as linked together:
License plates of your vehicles
Your Drivers License
Every gun you've ever purchased through a dealer or not purchased but had your info run on.

Any basis for this last one, Kito? MY understanding is when I purchase a long gun, the FBI background check info is poofed within 48 hours (though THEY have been trying to make that a permanent record, so far, no go). The FFL Dealer records the sale, by serial number, in his book, kept for 20 years. No one but he has access to that info, it is not entered into any database. BATF, with warrant, are supposed to be the only ones with access.

When I purchase a handgun in Washington, same as above applies, only this time a new document (the "white form) is filled out, one copy to the SHeriff Department of my home county, the other to the State Department of Licensing. The sheriff certainnly does not make that data available in a database. The DOL, last I heard, is not suipposed to. Thus, HOW could the cop pulling me over for a non0functional taillamp have access to that info?

Any basis for this last one, Kito? MY understanding is when I purchase a long gun, the FBI background check info is poofed within 48 hours (though THEY have been trying to make that a permanent record, so far, no go). The FFL Dealer records the sale, by serial number, in his book, kept for 20 years. No one but he has access to that info, it is not entered into any database. BATF, with warrant, are supposed to be the only ones with access.
I know that Oregon has no registration system, they just check it with the State Police who run a FBI check and it is supposed to be erased within 48 hours and the dealer has no requirement and is even discouraged to keep a record of the sale except for tax purposes, which for most would limit it to 5 years with good tax record practice.

In Washington however, the dealer does keep a record, but the cops wouldn't be able to pull it up unless that information has been retrieved by the ATF on a warrant. They are able to see if you have a permit, and then can ask you that, but I don't believe there is anyway of them seeing what guns you own or have purchased without getting a warrant from that specific shop.

In theory, the officer could get a warrant from the county judge and obtain the record of your purchase, but that would be a lengthy process to obtain it, search it, and pull it up. This wouldn't happen on a traffic stop or border crossing.

They are able to run the guns serial number to check if it was in a crime or is stolen however, but that is on a gun per gun basis, not pulling up a list of what you own per person.

Phathom sez:

I know that Oregon has no registration system, they just check it with the State Police who run a FBI check and it is supposed to be erased within 48 hours and the dealer has no requirement and is even discouraged to keep a record of the sale except for tax purposes, which for most would limit it to 5 years with good tax record practice.

this may be as far as state records go, but it is absolutely certain that every FFL Dealer nationwide has that "firearms sales record" book, and EVERY transaction for that licensee MUST be recorded in that book... date, make, model, serial number, to whom sold, address, and NCIS check "proceed code" number. This record MUST be kept at the physical location of record of the licensee for a period of twennty years past the most recent date (some use a new book starting each year.. smaller dealers carry the same one until it is full). Should that dealer terminate his license (or, please no, have it revoked), that book is then surrendered to the BATF, who keep it indefinitely. But, no database can be built on the records contained in it.. federal law (though, again, some idiots who claim to "represent" us, have attempted to mandate otherwise).

I know this to be true, as I have read BATF"s requirements and proceedures for their various classes of FFL. It is universal across the nation. Oregon gets no pass....

I have also seen those books as my name was entered at the time of purchase of a few long guns by myself in Oregon (no handguns, however.... thanks, Brady Brats).

A few years ago my wife talked me into going to Victoria. (I didn't want to) We took the ferry from Seattle, arrived, and started the customs procedure. They found out I had a 2nd degree assault (misdemeanor) conviction from 1994. They put me in a little cubicle, and interrogated me like I was a murder suspect. They held my passport and made us take the next ferry home. I showed them my CPL, (I left my pistol at home, of course) and explained that since then I had sold firearms at a sporting goods store, and had driven armored car for Brinks, so I'd been pretty thoroughly checked out. That didn't make any difference, we still had to leave. On the bright side, my wife will never again ask me if I will go to Canada!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top