JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
As I was making my rounds to find some ammo at the two local Bi-Marts, I was thinking to myself "when is it enough? when do I stop stocking? 200 rounds? 2000 rounds? 20,000 rounds?"

I look at some of these OFA classes that require 300 rounds of ammo... take a couple class and you can be out of 1000 rounds in no time... but then I look at my slowly growing collection of ammo and go "it is way too much ammo".... I keep thinking, maybe I should cut back on handgun ammo and do more with rifles and shotguns (in terms of stocking up)....

Thoughts from anyone? How much is enough for you?

Some guys will tell you 20,000 rounds per gun because you're buying for your lifetime.

That's not practical (i.e. cash) for me. What I consider a solid stash (what I won't shoot below) is:

2,000 rounds per centerfire caliber (.308, 7.62x39, etc)
500 per pistol caliber
10,000 or .22
500 for my 12 gauge (still building this one up!)

This amount seems reasonable to me for my intended use of a stash (get me through any 'bubblegum hit the fan scenario'). It doesn't cover me if ammo is outlawed or goes to $5 per round, but I don't have the money to do more than this.

This is a completely subjective question. I have more pistol ammo then anything else because thats what I shoot the most of. I'm not stock piling for some end of the world event that may or may not happen nor am I trying to buy a life time supply. I try to maintain 1K in rifle, 2K in pistol, and at least 250 (I would like to build this up to 500rds) in shot gun but this is just so I don't run out if ammo becomes scarce for a period of time. Should say the dollar collapse and I'm forced to hunt & gather in order to feed my family and crime is out of control I figure I'll be okay for awhile with my minimum stock. Honestly people that stock pile 20K rds per caliber are flip'n nuts but will be my best friend if I'm in need and everything goes sideways. :D

i don't try to stockpile ammo i have 1500 for my 45 and a few hundred for centerfire rifles.i just try to make sure i have the COMPONENTS to put more together after i shoot a few hundred ... Don

I want to have at least 1000 rds for each of the calibers I have, I am not hording any and dont make the rounds every week looking for any.....BUT if I happen to be at Bi-Mart or Walmart and they happen to have something I shoot in stock I will buy a value pack...

As the OP stated I have also been looking at signing up for a class or 2 and that will burn a good chunk of my supplies.

I do actually shoot... about 100 rounds a week. The ammo is out there now - it really isn't scarce. A little costly compared to a year ago, but it isn't scarce.

100 rounds a week. Is that all? Actually to be honest I have cut way way back on my shooting this year. Ammo is just to hard to get and costing more and more.

Ditto. I used to burn through a lot more ammo. Might be because all my new guns only carry 10rds per mag...or that I'm shooting less frequently.

Doing less reloading too.... :(

I actually have been doing a lot of reloading and I do have a whole lot of 45, 45 variants, and components to do more, however this general ammo and component shortage has actually gotten me a little fearful to shoot as much as I used too. Where's it all going? :s0131:

Can't be that many people hording insane amounts of ammunition can there?

Keep on hand plenty of components,brass,etc and you will have no shortage of ammo. Just try and stock what you shoot per year X 2 and you can shoot a little less when times are like this.....

depends on the firearm. i find i go through less ammo with a bolt action than a semi auto.. i was buying in bulk for a while, but i found its easier for me to pick up a box or two when i happen to be at the toy store, easier on the wallet too. as for how much on hand, well how much room do you have??

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top