JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
For about 100 years everybody just used the seating die to remove the flare without applying a crimp.
The Lee FCD is more properly described as a post-sizing die.

Lots of good info and advice above. You need to be sure you use a taper crimp and not a roll crimp on a semi-auto case because a cartridge such as a 9mm or 45 ACP headspaces on the mouth of the case, If you roll it over, it won't headspace correctly. In addition, bullets for semi-autos do not have crimp grooves for a roll crimp, like revolver bullets normally do. You just want to take the flare out of the case mouth (that you put there to seat the bullet) and snug it to the case. A second decision you need to make is whether to seat and crimp in one step or two. Most serious reloaders use two and especially on a taper crimp. One step to seat the bullet and then the crimp step. Otherwise, the bullet is still going into the case as the case mouth is being pushed against the sides of the bullet, often resulting in some of the jacket being scraped off and creating shavings around the mouth of the case. Doesn't help feeding.

I use two different die sets. One for brass and one for steel. Probably don't need to because the die is harder than the steel used on the Russian cases, but I do it anyway just for fun. Also I'm sure not to scratch the second set of dies.

TAPER crimp semi-auto rounds since bullet setback raises pressures. If a problem arrives or persists, I have a C-H cannelure tool and a few minutes effort has a really nice taper-crimp cannelure in the bullets.

I do not crimp.
I use a single stage RCBS press. I can feel if the neck tension is good when I seat.
I rely on proper neck tension.
Tens of thousands of reloads without issue.

Yes, Lee carbide crimp dies. I have one for every pistol caliber that I load. The carbide crimp die is a few extra dollars vs. the standard steel crimp die, but well worth the additional cost.

Lee crimp dies are for case crimping only. Their use requires a separate die for bullet seating. The dies also remove case bulges that may occur in the bullet crimping process.

If you have a 5 stage progressive loader, Lee carbide crimp dies are a gift from heaven.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads