JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was looking for a reasonably accurate load for 100 to 200 yard shots. I loaded 23.4 grs. of BL C(2) under a Speer 70 gr. soft point. CCI # 450 primer and mixed 5.56 brass trimmed to 1.750. After testing 4 loads with less powder, this seemed to be the most accurate of the five. I used the door of my truck to help steady the 16 inch carbine and was able to put the 5 test rounds in the 2" bullseye square. I used a Vortex 4.5-18 power scope set on 8 power. I know this is too much scope, truck door is only so supportive and I'm not a long distance shooter. Question is, is this all I should do or is there more I can/should do to guarantee solid hits out to 200 yards or so? All testing was done at 100yards.

In all honesty, I'm not sure my go to loads are that much less accurate at 100yards. 25 gr. of H335 with a 55 gr. FMJBT, #450 primer.

Thoughts please. Not interested in 600 yard shots, so no bragging. I much prefer open sight shooting, but my eyes ask for a bit more magnification.

Thank you.

Only you can answer the question if it's good enough for you. 2moa is outstanding for some shooters and would be very disappointing to others.

If it were me, I'd bench the gun and shoot off of a good bag or rest. This way you can take as much of the human element out of the equation as possible.

I'd venture to guess you've got an MOA or sub MOA load there. I'd think MOA or less would be good for that platform and projectile.

JMHO.

I agree with above. Likely that the loading more precise than you allowed it to be.

If benched, it would likely result with better results.

Given the shooting method, not bad.

A good stable bench set up and chronograph are a rifle reloaders friend.

You guys are correct, lots of room for error using my testing method. I'll for fun set up a more stable bench set up.

Thank you.

Crank up the scope and use a proper rest, you may be very pleasantly surprised. FWIW I've never done my best using a car door for support, better than nothing but sounds like it works better for you than me... Me thinks you may have a good load. :s0139:

I was looking for a reasonably accurate load for 100 to 200 yard shots. I loaded 23.4 grs. of BL C(2) under a Speer 70 gr. soft point. CCI # 450 primer and mixed 5.56 brass trimmed to 1.750. After testing 4 loads with less powder, this seemed to be the most accurate of the five. I used the door of my truck to help steady the 16 inch carbine and was able to put the 5 test rounds in the 2" bullseye square. I used a Vortex 4.5-18 power scope set on 8 power. I know this is too much scope, truck door is only so supportive and I'm not a long distance shooter. Question is, is this all I should do or is there more I can/should do to guarantee solid hits out to 200 yards or so? All testing was done at 100yards.

In all honesty, I'm not sure my go to loads are that much less accurate at 100yards. 25 gr. of H335 with a 55 gr. FMJBT, #450 primer.

Thoughts please. Not interested in 600 yard shots, so no bragging. I much prefer open sight shooting, but my eyes ask for a bit more magnification.

Thank you.
It appears those loads are good enough for 2" groups at 100 yards.

What, like me, watching 3"x6" flakes of paint fly off the hood of my '96 Suburban? Two mags and that hood was mostly primer gray.
No, I figured I was going to read about Bullets skipping off of or going through the hood. :D

Last Edited:
Just don't shoot across the hood of the car. I did that once and the concussion pebbled the paint.
That's better than what I thought you were going to say.
No, I figured I was going to read about Bullets skipping off of or going through the hood. :D

My buddy wanted a turn using my Ruger #1V .22-250 to shoot at crows. He laid the rifle on the hood, aimed carefully, squeezed the trigger... BLAM!!! But no feather flying. We looked up, puzzled. Then went to put the rifle away, and noticed a neat hole where the old '65 Ford PU had a raised area of the hood.

I did not want to admit this, but several years ago my buddy and I were shooting on a tree farm. I wanted to show him how cool an AK 47 could be. I laid it across the passenger side pick up truck bed rail and squeezed of three rounds in very short order. Yep, you guessed it, three 308 sized holes on the drivers side bed rail. Brother.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top