JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Nothing better that a smelly classic. Just got no 4 mk1 last month. As I grew into guns...allways thumbed my nose at em. Heavy....ugly...and that nasty Irish blood in my veins.

20 years later ...wasted youth chasing that black gun fetish. Enfield actions rock...thumbed my nose without even cycling an action . Youthful arrogance is bliss It's the classic battle bolts that are vanishing.MOST WWII RIFLES HAVE DOUBLED SOME TRIPPLED MOISON FOR $300 WHAT......GET EM WHILE YA CAN

NASTY EBAY HAS ORIGINAL SURP MAGS $25-30
SG AMMO HAS WOLF BRASS 303 $140 shipped 280 or 380 rounds CHEAPEST GET TO RUN THE RIFLE FOOD I FOUND. THANKS TO MY YOUTHFULL INTUITION.

SHOOT IT BROTHER

Nothing better that a smelly classic. Just got no 4 mk1 last month. As I grew into guns...allways thumbed my nose at em. Heavy....ugly...and that nasty Irish blood in my veins.

My dad, a young terrorist in the Irish War of Independence, carried a Lee-Enfield, as did 99% of his fellows-in-arms.

He carried one again in the Free State Army afterwards.

In WW1, 3/4 million Irishmen carried a Lee-Enfield.

In WW2 over 1/4 million Irishmen carried a Lee-Enfield.

Until 1958/9, the permanent Irish Armed Forces ALL carried a Lee-Enfield.

Until the late 1970's the Reserve military forces of the Irish Republic carried the Lee-Enfield.

Find one with FF on it and give being a plastic-paddy with a grudge. :)

tac

Thank you, i have a mucky Lee Enfield No.4 MK1 Longbranch on my desk as i type, trying to work out how i can restore it (long story involving *actual* ownership :( )

I'm assuming (as most were Linseed oiled) that after Windex, a quick wipe down with Linseed oil would be a good idea?

Thank you, i have a mucky Lee Enfield No.4 MK1 Longbranch on my desk as i type, trying to work out how i can restore it (long story involving *actual* ownership :( )

I'm assuming (as most were Linseed oiled) that after Windex, a quick wipe down with Linseed oil would be a good idea?

Nope.

A S L O W wipe down would be much better, preferably using the palms of your hands for the warmth you'll need to generate to get the oil to flow into the grain. Until it gets tack, then stop.

Try it again the following day, and after that, until no more soaks in, then stop.

BLO is all there was for this gun - nothing else was wanted or needed.

Just take it easy - all you are trying to do is to restore some life into the stock, not to make it pristine. Taking more of the finish off is taking the years of its life away - irreplaceable.

tac

I'm assuming Windex won't remove the oil finish either then?

I'm refinishing my Garand stock as i just intended to clean it (using a degreaser) before i realised exactly how the finishes worked and what they were.....

Anyway, got raw linseed oil for that, will be starting it very soon. Hmm, maybe even this weekend. :cool:

Windex will remove the crud, and then, get yourself some v. fine BRONZE wool - NOT steel wool - 0000 grade, and hit the resulting surface enough to take off that top layer of shine - enough to let the BLO into the remains of the original finish.

There are a gazillion videos on Youtube showing how it's done - head for those that mention refinishing stocks on a milsurp Moisin or similar. Watch them all, and then go for it.

...and then let us see the work. :)

tac

That sounds like something i should do to my 1903a3 to freshen it up, but the Garand looks like beach wood right now, it's getting the full treatment from start to finish, pics for sure :)

Cool rifle :cool: My interest in these old guns is only fairly recent. I've got a lot yet to learn about what is good and what I want to try and own someday.

Stuka, give me a call when you get the stuff, eh?

BTW, you MIGHT find that the Prvi Partizan stuff shoots OK, but then again, it might not. The bullets they use are .311", 174gr boat-tailed FMJs. Out to about 600 yds the L-E was very partial to flat-based bullets.

You might also find that the bore, in spite of the Ishapore rework, is bigger bigger, often substantially, even up to .315". This will need some thinking about.

tac

Stuka, give me a call when you get the stuff, eh?

BTW, you MIGHT find that the Prvi Partizan stuff shoots OK, but then again, it might not. The bullets they use are .311", 174gr boat-tailed FMJs. Out to about 600 yds the L-E was very partial to flat-based bullets.

You might also find that the bore, in spite of the Ishapore rework, is bigger bigger, often substantially, even up to .315". This will need some thinking about.

tac

Will do!!
I picked up a couple of boxes of the PPU-If I ever have gas money to get to the woods,I'll send a report
(I've blown many,many hundreds of dollars recently-Not sure it was a great idea!?!)

Will do!!
I picked up a couple of boxes of the PPU-If I ever have gas money to get to the woods,I'll send a report
(I've blown many,many hundreds of dollars recently-Not sure it was a great idea!?!)
Come over to tri-county with me. I'll take mine out. I need to shoot it it'd be fun to have a lee-enfield fest.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews