JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Ended up with this rifle this morning-1915 Enfield No1 MKIII.
Refurbished at Ishspore in 1927.
Doesn't look like much, but most 100 year olds don't..
Rifling is deep and somewhat shiny. I think it'll be a good shooter!
Stamps ALL OVER the metal and stock- gonna need a magnifying glass and some experts!

I do have a question; it has GRI on the barrel, but RFI on the left side of the band.
I've read that GRI was the stamp used pre-independence, and RFI was post independence (1948)
Doesn't make sense that to me that it has RFI 1927, when supposedly they didn't do that until after 1948?
Anyway, probably saw action in WW1, who knows about WW2...
Never had one of these before, and pretty excited to have one finally.And I love the brass butt plate!
I'm looking for ammo and magazines.
Comments?

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Stamps ALL OVER the metal and stock- gonna need a magnifying glass and some experts!

I do have a question; it has GRI on the barrel, but RFI on the left side of the band.
I've read that GRI was the stamp used pre-independence, and RFI was post independence (1948)
Doesn't make sense that to me that it has RFI 1927, when supposedly they didn't do that until after 1948?
Never had one of these before, and pretty excited to have one finally.And I love the brass butt plate!
Comments?

View attachment 307202 View attachment 307203 View attachment 307204 View attachment 307205
Pretty rifle

That really is a good looking gun. If you can see the diamond in the ruff.

I could clean a gun like that up and have it looking like a jewel. And not loose any of the markings on the stock.

But as I get older. I tend like them roached out more and more.
Either way is good. ;)

Comments?

View attachment 307202 View attachment 307203 View attachment 307204 View attachment 307205
Enfields are great rifles. I have a couple myself, ISHI 1952 and a Lithgow 1942

Original Magazines are a bit hard to find $30 to $70, can be found. You can get Pro Mag magazines, they're a hit or miss option.

1 Lee Enfield Rifles and Parts -
<broken link removed>
Enfield Magazine NO1 MK3 Original Rifle Mag 303 : Rifle Magazines & Rifle Clips at GunBroker.com

Ammo I've always shot the PPU 303 British 174 Grn FMJ-BT, with no issues.

PPU .303 British 174 Grain FMJ-BT 20 rounds - 222404, .303 British Ammo at Sportsman's Guide

enfield.jpg

Last Edited:
Needs some TLC now.

Have you checked out the oil bottle/pullthrough trap in the butt yet? Sometimes you find more than just what is supposed to be there - a guy I know found a last will and testament from 1917 in his.

tac

PS - Boiled linseed oil is all you need for that sad-looking wood. Just sit there a while and hand rub the stuff in until it disappears into the wood.

Last Edited:
Needs some TLC now.

Have you checked out the oil bottle/pullthrough trap in the butt yet? Sometimes you find more than just what is supposed to be there - a guy I know found a last will and testament from 1917 in his.

tac

PS - Boiled linseed oil is all you need for that sad-looking wood. Just sit there a while and hand rub the stuff in until it disappears into the wood.

Yeah, checked it out last night- nothing but found nothing but old grease and mummy dust.

Ah!
My lack of knowledge is showing,again..
It is a 3, like yours- mine has a large U next to it though.
Stamped at a different angle,so I don't think they are related..

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top