JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I don't usually post about my firearm projects. But I thought this might be interesting to someone and would like to hear opinions. I just recently purchased an 1853 Enfield "shotgun" . It has had the front part of the stock and sights removed . A short length of screw has been added as a bead and a ramrod thimble soldered on. I know it was common to create these shotguns from the hundreds of thousands of civil "war surplus " . No different then all of the sporterized Krags, Springfields and Mausers we see today. Sad, But I understand the mind set , as both in their day were cheap and common. My "new "gun is in very good shape for it's age of one hundred and sixty plus years. I have been researching the 1853 Enfield since my purchase a couple of days ago . I realize the the pattern 1853 was adopted in 1853, but was made for some years after that. My musket, which is how I will refer to it, has no British proof marks so was most likely imported for our first civil war. It does have a stamping on the lock plate and hammer . An anchor with an S ( I believe) and a C on ether sides of the shank. I know an anchor with a CS and later a JS were stamped on guns of the Confederacy. Individual states also stamped their firearms, with SC being South Carolina. I see no reference to to an anchor and SC together. I know fakery is common, but I would not think likely on a low value shotgun conversion. I wish my gun was all original in rifled musket and as issued . But I feel it has a certain cool factor as a weapon of war rehabilitated to a homesteader survival gun. I ran a bore scope down the bore and it is in covered with surface rust, but no deep pitting. I intend to shoot this gun after careful cleaning and inspection. I plan on a light polishing of the bore and magnafluxing the barrel to check for cracks. I will only use a very light charge of black powder and shot. Maybe a ball loaded with wadding in musket fashion. The nipple is badly corroded and has been made smaller for a #11 size cap . I had thought about recreateing the full length stock but will leave it as as shotgun , since it will never be 100% correct anyway. So here are my questions, Is the anchor SC stamp real or fake? Were the 1853 pattern Enfield ever issued as muskets ( smooth bore) or was this musket bored out as was common to create a shotgun? Should I attempt to remove the nipple and replace it ? I am a skilled mechanic/ machinist but not sure it is worth the risk. I am concerned it is just brazed into place. 4FE39099-8D87-431F-B048-CD372FE98565.jpeg B15872F1-EDA5-4E6B-8EB8-65513CD14AA8.jpeg 47FBB371-5C07-4229-823F-EB5764A17A4F.jpeg 4CAC884B-D310-4590-A4DB-CE90945AA293.jpeg

Last Edited:
A quick at my reference books...shows no s with an anchor between a c markings.
The stamping on the lock seems a bit "off'...but nothing that I can really pin down to say.

Yes the pattern '53 Rifled Muskets were issued at times in our "Civil War"....and yes many were turned into shotguns afterwards.
However I have not heard of , no ever read of one being bored out to a smoothbore during the war and being issued.

Looking forward to seeing more of this project ...:D
Andy

I will post as the project progresses. Let me restate the question as I may not have been clear. Was the 1853 Pattern Enfield ever built brand new as a smooth bore? Thank you everyone for your input so far.

Ok today I removed the lock and barrel from the stock. On the backside of the lock was a stamp like the one on the front, but a third smaller in scale. I can see clearly it is an anchor with an D and a C on ether sides of the shank. In my mind this confirms it is most unlikely a fake marking as it would have required two different stamps. There is also a stamp of ID over CG in the mid lock plate. The underside of the barrel contains the anchor DC stamp, 14.4 , a British crown over a U, an H , 11 MK, and a deep stamp that I cannot make out, but like " &" or cursive letters interlocked. The nipple has definitely been brazed in. The half cock notch is worn and will not hold. Should be easy to carefully deepen it. A few loose pieces of wood need to secured to the stock.

Ok today I removed the lock and barrel from the stock. On the backside of the lock was a stamp like the one on the front, but a third smaller in scale. I can see clearly it is an anchor with an D and a C on ether sides of the shank. In my mind this confirms it is most unlikely a fake marking as it would have required two different stamps. There is also a stamp of ID over CG in the mid lock plate. The underside of the barrel contains the anchor DC stamp, 14.4 , a British crown over a U, an H , 11 MK, and a deep stamp that I cannot make out, but like " &" or cursive letters interlocked. The nipple has definitely been brazed in. The half cock notch is worn and will not hold. Should be easy to carefully deepen it. A few loose pieces of wood need to secured to the stock.

:s0122:

I'll be honest, it's looking less and less like a British-made piece the more you tell us about it. Y'see, the 14.4 is the bore diameter in millimetres, and it comes out to .56cal - the calibre of a smooth-bore .577.

The British have yet to use the metric system to describe ANY barrel diameter in a proofing context. My 7x57 Mauser actually has .275 RIG[by] on the underneath of the action. They didn't use the metric system back in the day that this piece may have come from, and they still don't now.

But Belgium did, and still do - they espoused the metric system very early on, with half the country being ruled by the French...

I'm betting that the intertwined symbol you see looks like this -

1609616689624.png

This is the provisional proof stamp from the Belgian national proof house in Liége - interwtined E and L - Épreuve Liege.

Crown over any letter, except q or i, is the inspector's stamp from the same place.

Belgium made tens of thousands of these guns, not specifically for Africa, but for every place that guns were sold as or for trade. Enough got to Africa for them to get the sobriquet 'Zulu guns'. Traders put their own trade marks on them, too. Like the anchor and DC.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top