JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Never ask your employer about carrying a weapon, when it's against company policy. They won't change their policy for you. However, they will keep a much closer eye on you in the future.

It's said by top psychologist that agreeable people won't get far in the workplace. If you agree with them that your life is worth nothing then be silent and accept the consequences. o_O

Your wife has a reasonable expectation of workplace safety. Whether from acts of violence to ice on the parking lot. The employer has a responsibility to provide a safe environment. As stated above.... never ask for permission to carry.... whatever she has in her purse is her business. She should have a reasonable expectation of not to yield her 2A or 4A rights. Take her out to burn off some ammo. It might help clear her current stress.

Hawthorne is surrounded by million dollar houses and filled with tourists. Not a particularly dangerous part of town — just the opposite. There are a lot of transients, sure, but it's Disneyland there generally, plus lots of banks with armed security on the sidewalks. It is filled to the brim with yuppies and hippies.

If she worked on 136th and Division? Now you're talking.

Since you didn't exactly state, what your response was. I'd say, "You did good". (Thinking that you left it up to her to decide.) No need to inject your own $0.02 about "Her Life".

Yeah....stuff like that comes back to bit you (did for me).

Though.....
IMHO...if she decided to leave the company. She should at least truthfully tell them why.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
Hawthorne is surrounded by million dollar houses and filled with tourists. Not a particularly dangerous part of town — just the opposite. There are a lot of transients, sure, but it's Disneyland there generally, plus lots of banks with armed security on the sidewalks. It is filled to the brim with yuppies and hippies.

If she worked on 136th and Division? Now you're talking.
136th and division is a cake walk in comparison to rockwood (where I live) or downtown (where I work). Still not great though.
Edit: This was right around the corner from my house. Just about every business in that strip mall got hit with stray bullets.

Are we measuring ourselves now? OP didn't ask if your neighborhood was more dangerous, he asked if it is wise for his spousal unit to carry a firearm in a non-firearm friendly company.

Like it out not, most corporations will have some sort of CYA against firearms in the workplace to avoid lawsuits.
Keep calm, carry on.....

136th and division is a cake walk in comparison to rockwood (where I live) or downtown (where I work). Still not great though.
Edit: This was right around the corner from my house. Just about every business in that strip mall got hit with stray bullets.

That's good info. Thank you. I have been much less concerned downtown than east PDX, but maybe I should change my tune — I haven't worked downtown since the C-1-niner so spend less time there.

Are we measuring ourselves now? OP didn't ask if your neighborhood was more dangerous, he asked if it is wise for his spousal unit to carry a firearm in a non-firearm friendly company.

Like it out not, most corporations will have some sort of CYA against firearms in the workplace to avoid lawsuits.
Keep calm, carry on.....
It's just not a dangerous neighborhood. OP should do what they want, as should their wife. No need to fearmonger. Which neighborhood determines risk, which determines carry. On Hawthorne, risk is very low.

That's good info. Thank you. I have been much less concerned downtown than east PDX, but maybe I should change my tune — I haven't worked downtown since the C-1-niner so spend less time there.
It's a different kind of concern. Crackheads and homeless downtown, gangbangers and dealers out east. One might get shot in one neighborhood, or stabbed with a knife that's been dipped in poop in the other.

Never ask your employer about carrying a weapon, when it's against company policy. They won't change their policy for you. However, they will keep a much closer eye on you in the future.
This.

If she has concealed long enough, she should not have any issues and no one should ever know.

If she feels what she carries will become an issue, go shopping, find something she will not feel uncomfortable with. Even something like the little thing @Stomper posted is a great option. Put it in a pocket and forget about it.

It really comes down to "can you survive financially if your wife is caught carrying and fired". Only you can determine if this is an acceptable option.

As of now, a "no firearms" sign does not hold the letter of the law, but an employee handbook is an HR matter, and your wife likely agreed to adhere to company policy.

Last Edited:
Someone very close to me is employed with a company that also does not allow firearms on the premises. He still carries his firearm in a manner that is not detectable unless he is frisked, which is very unlikely. About the only way it would ever come out is if he had some sort of medical emergency that incapacitated him. It's the risk that he's accepted to take.

You can't buy insurance while your house if on fire, nor after the car crash. Likewise you don't consider carrying AFTER you almost needed it

It's a different kind of concern. Crackheads and homeless downtown, gangbangers and dealers out east. One might get shot in one neighborhood, or stabbed with a knife that's been dipped in poop in the other.
And/but....the usual common denominator is?

Guns.

No.....Criminals.

BUT, But, but......
Rrrrright.....targeting guns is an easy way to exert more control over the population (that is already despised). And it doesn't upset the #BLM narrative. So, let's go with that.

Aloha, Mark

PS......this Chief still has NOT got it all correct (doesn't like AW). BUT....he is an advocate for more guns in the hands of GOOD AMERICANS who are responsible.

Last Edited:
4A70E6DA-DA82-4675-A378-36C88224BFE6.jpeg

I've carried at every job I've ever had. All of them have had 'no weapons' policies.

They won't know I have it unless I need to use it. At that point, I don' t give a damn what happens to my employment status if I live to worry about it.

A couple things to remember.....

1. As stated previously, concealed means concealed. And keep it that way.

2. If anything were to happen to your wife, they would have a "help wanted" ad posted to fill her position by the end of the week.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top