JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Thanks guys for your thoughts. Unfortunately she is in management and therefore expected to fly the corporate flag, so to speak.

" Stomperism "
is that a thing ?
Just carry and hide it. As long as you will not be homeless if she is caught and fired. She shouod look for something in a better area anyway.

You know what makes a great concealed carry pistol? A j frame revolver. Specifically a 637. More specifically, this 637:

I think if I were her, I'd go to management and stress that she doesn't feel safe and would like to carry her firearm. If they resist, then I would follow @Stomper and his Stomperism and find something better. There are a ton of jobs out there right now. Many with signing bonuses and leverage to negotiate higher wages. If she is absolutely stuck on the job, then maybe she could demand the company take steps to protect her with armed guards or bulletproof enclosures (not knowing what she does these may not apply) but you get the picture. And lastly she might just carry anyway and risk getting fired.
Except then that would out her on the radar as someone who might be carrying against company policy.

I say that if work is against it, don't even hint that you might like guns or carry at all, provide no thought for them to wonder.

Others have given much great advice, giving some of the best options. Being lthe party, I don't have much to add…

You only get one wife and she only gets one life. Sounds like deep concealment is in order, if the unthinkable happens, at least she has the opportunity to defend herself and come home to you.

Jobs come and go and I get the tenure issue, but the market today seems to be an employees market… Again, should the unthinkable happen.

Ultimately, the two of you have to decide what chances to take and what makes the most sense for your particular situation, may wisdom prevail and guide you to the right decision.

I set policy in my office, so we are 2A friendly. 😉

In all seriousness, we have always been our own first responders. But the climate of today makes that not only clear but illustrates that we are without adequate civil protection. It is up to us.

Last Edited:
Many years ago we had a guy beat his girlfriend silly in our work parking lot, which is huge. Just before covid, some stranger off the street pulled a gun on a woman in our parking garage. We also have a no guns policy. Some have hinted, don't open their glove box

I think the number of armed coworkers at my place is very small but who knows. People snap or plot on others (Major Payne: You plotting on me boy). One of these nerds will probably lose it one day and the cops will take forever if and when they respond.

I read through all the posts, don't think I missed the following but forgive me if I did.

Was the danger the wife faced on employer premises? Was she on the clock? Going to or from her vehicle? Or did it occur while she was commuting?

This:

Your wife has a reasonable expectation of workplace safety. Whether from acts of violence to ice on the parking lot. The employer has a responsibility to provide a safe environment.
If she was on the clock or on company premises, they have a duty to furnish a safe workplace. If they won't allow personal carry of firearms, then there could be some exposure of the company to civil liability for their failure. Which anyone above her in management should understand. Put a private security guard on duty?

The lawyers get involved in this sort of risk assessment. That is, "are we more exposed to liability by hazarding our employees by disarming them, or by allowing them to carry firearms on premises?" This is what it sometimes comes down to.

My 100% chance of receiving a healthy pension outweighs the 0.0001% chance of me needing a CC at my work so the choice is easy.
Understand your thought process there, and your numbers may be legit for your choice of career, but they are by no means numbers that apply to everyone. With so many company's going out of business, there will be many pensions that disappear into thin air so I would say there is absolutely zero guarantee you're gonna have a pension. Also, seems many company's nowadays use a 401k approach that can be easily transferred to your next job so there's that. Also needing a CC at work has much to do with what the business is, where it is located and if a person takes public transportation to/from work or has to walk out into a dark parking lot or street to get to their vehicle.
If this person manages a pawn/loan shop in downtown PDX and works the night shift, that .0001% could be a bit higher....

When I worked in the data center for a large Portland corporation at the WTC every day I carried a .25 Beretta in my front jeans pocket. I was not about to have to step over bodies on the sidewalk at 6 am every morning unarmed.

Carrying in non-permissive environments where termination or even criminal charges would happen if found out, requires deep concealment. If a person theoretically decided to do that they would need to sacrifice firearm size and convenient draw location to favor a method that doesn't ever get discovered unless it is used during a deadly threat encounter to stop the threat.

For example, there was a doctor in a hospital who was carrying against the rules, a psych patient came to that floor and started shooting people, the doctor successfully put them down with his CC piece and definitely saved lives, possibly even his own, but it was against the rules.

When I think of these situations, I always think of all the poor people murdered in gun free zones who were following the rules and all that good it did for them because the people who murder you in gun free zones don't care about the rules.

Understand your thought process there, and your numbers may be legit for your choice of career, but they are by no means numbers that apply to everyone. With so many company's going out of business, there will be many pensions that disappear into thin air so I would say there is absolutely zero guarantee you're gonna have a pension. Also, seems many company's nowadays use a 401k approach that can be easily transferred to your next job so there's that. Also needing a CC at work has much to do with what the business is, where it is located and if a person takes public transportation to/from work or has to walk out into a dark parking lot or street to get to their vehicle.
If this person manages a pawn/loan shop in downtown PDX and works the night shift, that .0001% could be a bit higher....
This becomes kind of a pointless thing to try to convince people of. I long ago quit trying. Almost all of us will live out our lives and NEVER need a gun at home either. So those who chose to not have a gun at home, or with them when they leave home, will almost all live out life and be fine. Odds are very much in their favor. So I let them make their choice and live with it. Matters not to me. A few will of course be VERY sorry for the choice they made but, it is their choice to make. :s0092:

Worked for me, following those two rules - for years at a big Redmond software company. No exceptions to the rules.
My big regret was, in an effort to keep it more discrete, I traded a 2.5" Colt Python in chrome for a Walter PPK (p.o.s.). Those are worth $10k+ now.

I cry when I think about it now. One of the rare times I get emotional.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top