Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

EMP and CME effects

Discussion in 'Preparedness & Survival' started by Rascals, Jan 3, 2012.

1. Rascals

Rascals Portland Or Active Member

OK I understand how they work but my main question is I know my fancy reaction sights would be toast. But would they Metropolite or Trijicon reaction sight with tritium in the scopes still be fine (I dont want to take one apart to find out)? Or is there a circuit board in them also? I guess I wans't as clear as I thought. My wife says that allot. Sights light the Meprolight Self-Powered Day/Night Reflex Sight And trijjicons Relex sight also.

2. JohnnyCauc

JohnnyCauc Portland, OR Member

As far as my understanding of functionality is concerned, an ACOG would be untouched. The optical fiber on top merely redirects light, and nothing on the inside is composed of any batteries or circuit boards that could otherwise be harmed.

3. Rascals

Ok but what about the reaction sights?

4. oldbrass

oldbrass WA Active Member

Depends on the source of the EMP,if from a soalr flare should be ok,if its from a nuclear detonation then the sights would be the least of my worries

5. JohnnyCauc

Exactly. With a nuclear device going off, even in the upper atmosphere, I'd say your paperweight for an Eotech is hardly your biggest problem.
    Now, do you have an electronic gun safe?

dave and (deleted member) like this.
  6. Rascals

I understand the Eotech but back to my question what about the tritium systems do they have printed circuit boards?

7. Nelson555

Nelson555 Marion Co. Member

the trijicon uses a chemical reaction to make the glow, same thing as night sights on a handgun. downside is the reaction does fade after years. but it shouldnt be affected by an emp.

8. JohnnyCauc

One of the byproducts of the radioactive decay of tritium is light emission. Tritium has a half life of about 12 years, meaning that a newly manufactured tritium system (be it night sights or a "reaction" sight) will have lost half of its luminosity after 12 years. Look at a set of factory night sights on a second gen. Glock, for example.

Now, you've yet to actually name any "reaction" site, so we've no idea whether the ambiguous sight you're asking about has any kind of circuitry. Does it take batteries? Does it have on "ON" switch? If no, you're likely in the clear, however, I'd suggest naming a sight to get a definitive answer.

fd15k and (deleted member) like this.
  9. doubletap007

doubletap007 Beaverton Active Member

if you keep the batteries out of your eotech when not in use it wouldnt be affected by emp.same with car batteries and such.

10. JohnnyCauc

One component of an nuclear induced electromagnetic pulse is the generation of a very powerful EM field that can easily exceed breakdown voltages. Removing batteries is the physical equivalent of not having the device on. More than just completed and powered circuits will be affected by a strong enough EMP.

11. Rascals

What about the Meprolight Self-Powered Day/Night Reflex Sight

12. mkwerx

mkwerx Forest Grove, OR Well-Known Member

The Meprolight sight is Tritium - chemical reaction, not a powered sight. That should be just fine.

Silly question - but your rifle has irons also, right?

13. Rascals

Do I even have to awnser that last one? Yes and its tritium on those also. But my wife uses reaction sights almost totally. Me I dont like to trust anything that is not bonehead simple.