JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Poor advice, Don't use this advise....Shoot the biggest Caliber you can shoot well... Know your weapon,Know your limits,Know your Query...:s0155:

LOL take it easy man,

I'm just saying I've seen people lose elk before, or track them for miles after hitting it with a 7mm or 308. I've also seen the Weatherby knock them off their feet... I've Killed 4 bulls, and every one has been one shot. That's all I'm sayin:D

sometimes you don't get to take an optimal shot and you have to do the best you can.... I feel like my odds are better with the cannon. Sure it's not for everybody, but it doesn't kick bad at ALL. Much less than my 300.
:s0155:

yeah my 30 cal weatherby rocks. I meant by overkill, that it's more than you need. I'd rather only have to shoot it once and have it lay where you shoot it. All that energy you know. like 5000 pounds at muzzle. Now the downsides that I can see are if you end up hitting it in an area other than center mass, is you can ruin a lot of meat. That part sucks. The other downside is the damn thing is heavy to pack around through the woods. Otherwise, I think the thing is great!!!!!

LOL take it easy man,

I'm just saying I've seen people lose elk before, or track them for miles after hitting it with a 7mm or 308. I've also seen the Weatherby knock them off their feet... I've Killed 4 bulls, and every one has been one shot. That's all I'm sayin:D

sometimes you don't get to take an optimal shot and you have to do the best you can.... I feel like my odds are better with the cannon. Sure it's not for everybody, but it doesn't kick bad at ALL. Much less than my 300.

I've seen a Deer dropped with a 10/22.

LOL take it easy man,

A lot of it is shot placement. A harder-hitting cartridge may make up a little, but a poorly-placed shot from a .338 or whatever can still result in a long walk or a maimed animal that gets away.

I tend to think that being slightly under-gunned might make a hunter think a bit about the shot, take a little more care with it and even the stalk beforehand, and come out better. As long as he is thinking and not just chasing around the hills with "the fever".

what exactly is "overkill" - are there levels of dead? :)

I don't see anything wrong with using a big rifle - unless you can't handle shooting it. I like 30 cal bullets on elk. I'm not saying 7mm won't work, but I prefer a good 30 cal.

Personally, I don't believe in overkill, to a point. The big reason to go with a lighter rifle is to minimize meat damage, but if you're careful with shot placement, that's not really an issue. Sure, if you shoot an elk through the shoulders with a 308 Lazzeroni Warbird, shooting a 150 gr. bullet over 3700 ft/sec, there's going to be a lot of meat damage. But the same round through the lungs will cause quite a bit less damage. Part of the reason I like black powder for deer is because I've never had any bloodshot meat. You can eat up to the hole.

I'd recommend getting the largest caliber you're comfortable with, and practicing with it until you can shoot it well. But also find something that has good ranging ability. And I'd also recommend not going cheap on optics. Too often you see guys with nice rifles, topped with $50 Barska's or Tasco's. Spend a little more and get something with good glass that will hold it's zero and won't fog up. If that means that you have to spend a little less on a rifle, I'd say it's worth it. What good is a very accurate rifle if the scope shifts zero every time you pull the trigger, or is too fogged up to see through?

My only scoped rifle is a ruger m77 in 300 wm. It's not an expensive rifle, I think I bought it new for about $500, but I bought a decent leupold scope with the machined aluminum scope caps. This added another $400. So nearly half the cost of the combo was spent on sighting equipment, and it makes a huge difference. Just something to consider.

i really like my rem. 700 7mm mag and have used it to shoot everything. reloading helps off set the cost and dial in the rounds. i also like carrying my S&W 629 44 and relish the opportunity to take a animal with it. up close and in the brush my hand cannon is hard to beat.

For western oregon elk hunting I use the good old 45-70. hard to beat for when your in the thick stuff. over east where you can actually see more than 150 yards i use a 338 win mag.

Shot placement is far more important than the size and velocity of the round, find a round and gun that fits where and what you are going to be hunting. they all have there pros and cons and there is no perfect round.

thats why you need to diversify, could i use one caliber for everything... of course... you know that, I know that, but the mrs. doesnt, so lets keep that our secret :s0131:

I have killed several elk with a .270 win with one shot. Shot placement is key. That .270 is 19 years old now and I rarely shoot it because I bought a .270wsm that I just love. Shoot consistent 1/2" groups at 100yds and knocks everything I shoot down. Killed a 6x6 bull with it 2 years ago at 285 yards, he took about 2 steps and it was over. Factory ammo is very expensive for the short mags though. I shoot reloads 140gr Accubonds, they do the trick.

I prefer a Remington 721 or 700 BDL--30.06, 180 gr. Always done the trick for me. God forbid it happen, but if you forgot ammo and you are in the middle of nowhere, Joe Country store owner is going to have ought six ammo.

Shot 'em with the Big 7 and 308 Norma mag. Have a .300wsm and a 300WBY...Thirty cal's do a better job at range and don't recoil too much for most, IF you practice. You must practice shooting at the ranges you may see game. Otherwise you are guessing, and don't have a basis for a hit.

Thanks for all of the good advice. I have done a fair amount of bow hunting and muzzleloading, so I prefer to take closer shots as opposed to long ones.
A couple more questions...
1. It seems like short mags are somewhat 'popular' right now. Is there any pro/con to shooting a short mag vs. a standard round?
2. I have a very limited amount of knowledge on reloading (only a few experiences reloading shotgun shells), how difficult and expensive is it to get into loading rifle and handgun cartridges? What is a good resource to help me get started?
Thanks!
1. Short mags are popular right now because they are superior to regular rounds. The thermodynamics and burn characteristics in a larger diameter case produce more velocity with less recoil. Think surface area of the leading edge of burning powder. Since the case is larger, you get more powder burning at any given point, which lends itself to using slightly less volatile powder. Basically you get 300-600 FPS more, with less recoil of the same caliber.
2. Ditto what everyone else says... Reloading is a hobby in and of itself. Takes a lot of time, patience and most of all concentration.

With that said. I shoot a .270. If I had to do it over again, I may have to go with the 7MM WSM. Amazing ballistics with that round. However, I am extremely comfortable with my .270 and have hunted gofers to elk with it. I am not a .30 caliber fanboy. Never have been. I like the smaller, flatter and superior BC of the .270-284 calibers.... 7mm included. Gotta love a caliber that can smack an animal at 500 yards with less than 36" drop and plenty of energy left to kill!!! (I LOVE my .270!!!)
Hornady has a good calculator for you is your interested. It can help you find the best all around caliber. <broken link removed>

My .270 loaded with Winchester Supreme XP3, has no problems at all with Elk, or anything smaller.
Good luck!:s0155:

I finally settled on my .270 after years of experimenting.

I can shoot it more accurately than a magnum due to less expected recoil.

With good shot placement, it will kill anything.

I can have it back on target faster than with a magnum.

It actually has more retained energy at (hits harder at) 300 yards and out than an .06 or 308.

It's flatter shooting than an .06 or 308 - enough to matter at 500 yds.

Most important, it fits me best and I'm confident with it - those intangible and individual things.

That's just me, and none of the above may apply to or matter to you at all.

$.02

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads