JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Can we stop fear mongering over Ebola. There's a very, very low chance it could ever spread in a first world country.

While this is the largest documented outbreak of Ebola, it's only grown so large because of the geographical location it originated.

Where the means of proper medical care does not exist, an ability to place sanctions and quarantines to prevent further spread does not exist, and local customs regarding death and burial that bar proper burial procedures of patients who host the virus, as Ebola can still infect after it's host has died.

In any first world (or "developed") country, none of these factors would contribute to an outbreak. Ebola is extremely easy to contain.

Anyone worried about a "SHTF" scenario in the U.S. over Ebola is poorly educated, to say the least.
WOW!!!! Am I relieved. I thought if you got Ebola, it meant CERTAINDEAF! :D

<- Why there aren't any school shootings in Israel!
Teacher with long gun slung over her shoulder!!!

The time I had to do this, it wasn't a pathogen, but it was a mess.

Once, when my x-wife tried to enter my house..........Oh...

...... ...Nevermind

:):D:confused::);):eek:
I know what you mean: one of my ex-wives left knives on the kitchen counter in what I took as an attempt to place a "hex" on me and broken glass between the sheets on the bed. I discovered the glass before I got in bed.

Deen
NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
NRA Golden Eagle member
Defender of Freedom Award

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have it, you'll probably never need one again!"

<- Why there aren't any school shootings in Israel!
Teacher with long gun slung over her shoulder!!!

I know what you mean: one of my ex-wives left knives on the kitchen counter in what I took as an attempt to place a "hex" on me and broken glass between the sheets on the bed. I discovered the glass before I got in bed.

Deen
NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
NRA Golden Eagle member
Defender of Freedom Award

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have it, you'll probably never need one again!"

are you kidding me?
i think divorce was a good move. geez

Sorry, I think this thread has been hijacked. I hope I wasn't guilty.

Back to this Ebola thing.

I was listening to Michael Savage, who I believe is an expert on some things.............THIS being One of them.

He thinks this is extremely dangerous, and thinks our Govt. is insane the way they are handling it.

I wonder what it is going to take to stop this insanity!

this should clear the over reactions a little bit. there really isnt anything to worry about. it would take some serious negligence for this to cause any problem for the US.

he happens to be a well educated person who not only uses youtube to educate people with basic information on a broad spectrum of subjects, along with his brother he runs the organization to fight world suck. (yes its a real thing. they are sponsored by viewers along with science magazines, crashcourse magazine and a few other organizations that support free education through the internet. their information is accurate and they also reference their sources.

i find their videos entertaining and im sure you'll be happy that they make it a point to avoid taking sides in political and religious views with keeping the information accurate as possible in the front seat.

i would recommend you check out their world history videos on crash course. i think its funny but they present the information in a way that keeps people engaged when they have a short attention span.

Ebola is a deadly disease, but so are a whole host of other diseases that are spread much easier. Getting petrified because of two Ebola patients in an Atlanta isolation treatment ward, or becoming frightened over the existence of the largest outbreak of the disease since it's discovery in 1976 makes little sense.

Lets look at some FACTS shall we. Mandrakes FAQ.

1. Ebola is the deadliest disease we have ever faced a mankind and could destroy the world?!
No actually. While certainly deadly if contracted; these diseases are the true hitmen who have it out for humanity.
  • Cancer
  • Heart Disease
  • Flu
  • Antibiotic Resistant Bacteria
  • HIV/AIDS
  • Living (some say the leading cause of death)
Just for giggles have a gander at these statistics. The common seasonal flu kills roughly 20,000+ people every year in the USA. Heart disease kills 600,000 people annually in the US. Ebola has killed 0 people in the US annually over the last 42 years since its discovery.

2. Ebola will be the pandemic that brings us to the brink of extinction!!
Pandemic? Hardly. Since Ebola's emergence (suspected first cases in 1972 and finally named and recognized in 76) it has infected 2,786 people. Of those it has killed 1,697. Of those killed they have all, save 1 or deaths in Russia, been in rural African areas. Area with poor medical infrastructure, poor medical practices, and a general distrust of medical personnel as a whole. Areas where the people are generally poorer than you can imagine. Areas where people rely heavily on bush meat for food and don't take a lot of care and concern regarding how it is caught and handled. The likelihood of this disease becoming a pandemic would take an unnatural act on its part and a global breakdown of first world medical practices.

3. Bringing the infected doctor and aid worker to the US is all a government conspiracy!
Hold on to your tin foil hats. A conspiracy to do what? Control the population by infecting all of them with a deadly disease thus ruining your chances of useful world domination by leaving no-one alive to control? Yep that makes sense. Because increasing governmental expenses by having to protect your homeland from diseases is an effective path to being Emperor. Or could it be that these two folks were brought here to;
a.) Be better able to monitor and study the disease and its progress.
b.) Give them first rate medical support care till their bodies either die from organ failure or produce sufficient antibodies to fight the infection.

4. We're all going to die!!!!
Well on this fact sadly you are correct. However today you have a greater chance of dying by automobile accident than you do of getting Ebola. You have a greater chance of getting struck by lightning than you do of getting Ebola. You have a better chance of hitting the power ball lottery than you do of getting Ebola.

Now of course if you are going to Atlanta or West Africa and crawling around licking the floor of the isolation wards than you have a pretty good chance of catching the disease. However I think we can clearly state that short of coming into contact with infected bodily fluids you will not cach Ebola.

5. If it's so hard to catch how did that doctor and aid worker catch it. Surely they had state of the art PPE.
I am glad you asked actually. You see there is this thing called human error. Covered head to toe, and then some' in PPE in the scorching heat of that region of Africa is no-ones idea of a good time. Most likely these two people made errors in proper barrier nursing protocols. Dr. Cairns, one of the leading authorities on Ebola, was infected in 1972 because he accidentally cut himself with an infected scalpel. He survived. A lab worker in England accidentally was stuck with an infected needle. The worker survived. Weapons lab worker in Russia accidentally stuck herself with an Ebola infected needle. She died. You see accident happen. We all know how easy the common cold is spread yet do you was your hands every time you touch a door knob? Are you then puzzled when you get the sniffles every year?

6. But the media told me how bad this disease is and from all the reports it seems the disease is everywhere!
The media says a lot of things for sensationalist value. Do you believe what they say about gun violence also? Get your news from multiple sources and then filter for actual areas of concern and do personal research.

Look folks, Ebola is bad juju for sure. However there are much bigger and badder threats to our society then this disease. Should we do what wecan as a country to help stop the spread of the disease and suffering of those infected? Yes. Should we start building bigger tin foil hats? No. Should we all start running screaming for the hills? Not unless you have nothing else to offer that would be constructive.

Please resume your normal daily programming. Breathe and relax (rinse and repeat this step 3-5 times)

Ebola is a deadly disease, but so are a whole host of other diseases that are spread much easier. Getting petrified because of two Ebola patients in an Atlanta isolation treatment ward, or becoming frightened over the existence of the largest outbreak of the disease since it's discovery in 1976 makes little sense.

Lets look at some FACTS shall we. Mandrakes FAQ.

1. Ebola is the deadliest disease we have ever faced a mankind and could destroy the world?!
No actually. While certainly deadly if contracted; these diseases are the true hitmen who have it out for humanity.
  • Cancer
  • Heart Disease
  • Flu
  • Antibiotic Resistant Bacteria
  • HIV/AIDS
  • Living (some say the leading cause of death)
Just for giggles have a gander at these statistics. The common seasonal flu kills roughly 20,000+ people every year in the USA. Heart disease kills 600,000 people annually in the US. Ebola has killed 0 people in the US annually over the last 42 years since its discovery.

2. Ebola will be the pandemic that brings us to the brink of extinction!!
Pandemic? Hardly. Since Ebola's emergence (suspected first cases in 1972 and finally named and recognized in 76) it has infected 2,786 people. Of those it has killed 1,697. Of those killed they have all, save 1 or deaths in Russia, been in rural African areas. Area with poor medical infrastructure, poor medical practices, and a general distrust of medical personnel as a whole. Areas where the people are generally poorer than you can imagine. Areas where people rely heavily on bush meat for food and don't take a lot of care and concern regarding how it is caught and handled. The likelihood of this disease becoming a pandemic would take an unnatural act on its part and a global breakdown of first world medical practices.

3. Bringing the infected doctor and aid worker to the US is all a government conspiracy!
Hold on to your tin foil hats. A conspiracy to do what? Control the population by infecting all of them with a deadly disease thus ruining your chances of useful world domination by leaving no-one alive to control? Yep that makes sense. Because increasing governmental expenses by having to protect your homeland from diseases is an effective path to being Emperor. Or could it be that these two folks were brought here to;
a.) Be better able to monitor and study the disease and its progress.
b.) Give them first rate medical support care till their bodies either die from organ failure or produce sufficient antibodies to fight the infection.

4. We're all going to die!!!!
Well on this fact sadly you are correct. However today you have a greater chance of dying by automobile accident than you do of getting Ebola. You have a greater chance of getting struck by lightning than you do of getting Ebola. You have a better chance of hitting the power ball lottery than you do of getting Ebola.

Now of course if you are going to Atlanta or West Africa and crawling around licking the floor of the isolation wards than you have a pretty good chance of catching the disease. However I think we can clearly state that short of coming into contact with infected bodily fluids you will not cach Ebola.

5. If it's so hard to catch how did that doctor and aid worker catch it. Surely they had state of the art PPE.
I am glad you asked actually. You see there is this thing called human error. Covered head to toe, and then some' in PPE in the scorching heat of that region of Africa is no-ones idea of a good time. Most likely these two people made errors in proper barrier nursing protocols. Dr. Cairns, one of the leading authorities on Ebola, was infected in 1972 because he accidentally cut himself with an infected scalpel. He survived. A lab worker in England accidentally was stuck with an infected needle. The worker survived. Weapons lab worker in Russia accidentally stuck herself with an Ebola infected needle. She died. You see accident happen. We all know how easy the common cold is spread yet do you was your hands every time you touch a door knob? Are you then puzzled when you get the sniffles every year?

6. But the media told me how bad this disease is and from all the reports it seems the disease is everywhere!
The media says a lot of things for sensationalist value. Do you believe what they say about gun violence also? Get your news from multiple sources and then filter for actual areas of concern and do personal research.

Look folks, Ebola is bad juju for sure. However there are much bigger and badder threats to our society then this disease. Should we do what wecan as a country to help stop the spread of the disease and suffering of those infected? Yes. Should we start building bigger tin foil hats? No. Should we all start running screaming for the hills? Not unless you have nothing else to offer that would be constructive.

Please resume your normal daily programming. Breathe and relax (rinse and repeat this step 3-5 times)
But hoe many of those diseases kill people after only 30 days of contact?

But hoe many of those diseases kill people after only 30 days of contact?

Fair question sir. Hopefully I will be able to answer it sufficiently.

Disease: The Common Flu
Incubation Period: 1-4 days
When are you infectious: 1 day prior to symptoms appearing
Time for death to Occur: depends on the length of the viral infection and how strongly your body can fight off the virus.
Annual Deaths in the USA: 20,000+
Average Annual Deaths Globally: 250,000 - 500,000

Disease: Ebola (Zaire Strain)
Incubation Period: 2 days to 21 days
When are you infectious: At the onset of symptoms
Time for Death to Occur: It is similar for the flu. Some people survive, some don't.
Annual Deaths in the USA: 0
Average Annual Deaths Globally: 40

The common flu kills more, does so faster, is easier to spread, harder to identify who is infected. At the end of the day the common flu can be a downright assassin.

Ebola is a brutal killer of a virus, however is not spread easily. The fact that is does kill so quickly and is at this time only spread through contact with infected bodily fluids and secretions makes it a less effective viral killer.

However the name is part of the fear factor here. People are not generally scared of the name "Flu". People cringe when you say "Ebola Hemorrhagic Fever".

OK OK OK OK OK on the ebola
There have been other things going on that make the ebola problem scary.
Atlanta has been messing about too much lately and leaks are letting the news out unless there was a huge problem
Too much playing around with viruses to make the ebola scare not pertinent

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads