JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So you have to print everything off ahead of time, stand around at the show with bad WiFi/cell reception doing all this to save $10-15? Seems your time would be more valuable.

As a FYI, some venues/promoters do offer free private party background checks and have a table set up to do that. I'd bet you'll still have to pay the 10 bucks to the OSP but at least they don't charge extra for the processing like the dealers do.

As a FYI, some venues/promoters do offer free private party background checks and have a table set up to do that. I'd bet you'll still have to pay the 10 bucks to the OSP but at least they don't charge extra for the processing like the dealers do.

If you had to do the paperwork you'd understand why they charge a small fee. The transfer booklet copies have to be sent to local law enforcement, it has to go through your book, time, effort, overhead. The small fee is earned.

One disadvantage I can see to a private party transfer like this is the protection of my information. With a legitimate gun store or pawn shop FFL, you have a reasonable expectation of the information you put on the form being safe guarded (nothing's 100% but a reasonable expectation) while with a private party you don't know how careful they will be that the information doesn't fall into the hands of family members, kids, friends or strangers. While I am still trusting a stranger at a store (unless I know the person of course) I'm a little more comfortable with that person than I would be with a total stranger that really doesn't have a vested interest in protecting my information. To me, that makes going through a actual FFL worth the money.

Mike

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads