JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
https://www.newyorker.com/tech/annals-of-technology/theres-an-earthquake-coming

E.E.W. allows seismologists to estimate, in real time, the potential amount of shaking an earthquake will cause. The principles are relatively simple. Seismometers can scan the ground for the "P waves," or compression waves, which precede the slower and more powerful "S waves," or shear waves, that are responsible for severe earthquake damage, like lightning before thunder. Using the P waves, a local data-processing center can calculate the likely reach and magnitude of a quake moments after it begins. The resulting alert, dispatched at the speed of light, usually beats the S waves, which ripple through rock at about two miles per second.

ShakeAlert -- CA, OR, WA
"ShakeAlert sends out mass public warnings through third-party apps and fema's Wireless Emergency Alert system; it is set to warn about earthquakes more severe than a relatively moderate magnitude 4.5

"Android can now warn its users when the ground beneath their feet is about to start shaking.

For those that have lots of time on their hands & extra $$$ to spend, I have a suggestion.

Own your very own seismograph. This will keep just about everybody very busy with its steep learning curve. Check out the blog & some of the technical discussions. Just about everything that goes bump will register on their equipment. As examples: wind blowing thru trees, your neighbor's well pump, got train tracks nearby? Got the picture?

And in an attempt to limit some of the human made vibrations/noise...

Enjoy,
Foreverlost

All the dogs around my house are an early warning shake predictor. I have 15 dogs within 200' of my house.
If I hear them all going off at once, I'll go grab a beer so I can say to the wife, "here, hold my beer..."

All the dogs around my house are an early warning shake predictor. I have 15 dogs within 200' of my house.
If I hear them all going off at once, I'll go grab a beer so I can say to the wife, "here, hold my beer..."

Wait- I thought animals went quiet right before an event.

When downtown Seattle collapses into the waterfront then I will care about earthquakes. I might also celebrate….
When the Cascadia Subduction Zone rips and causes a 9.2 earthquake for 5 minutes pretty much every thing will be gone. I am not really sure how big and how high the tsunami will be and how far inland you need if you aren't in mountains to escape the tsunami.

I know the last Cascadia earthquake a tsunami hit Japan since there were writings about it.

When the Cascadia Subduction Zone rips and causes a 9.2 earthquake for 5 minutes pretty much every thing will be gone. I am not really sure how big and how high the tsunami will be and how far inland you need if you aren't in mountains to escape the tsunami.

I know the last Cascadia earthquake a tsunami hit Japan since there were writings about it.
Cool

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads