JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I just hope the barista gets some good counseling, an incident like that could really mess someone up unless they talk through it.

Well said, I cannot even imagine trying to reconcile that. There's a big difference between saying "better to be judged by 12, than carried by 6", than actually having to go through it.

<broken link removed>

EUGENE, Ore. (AP) -- The Lane County district attorney's office says no criminal charges are planned against a barista who fatally shot a man during a coffee stand robbery in Eugene.
However, Dutch Bros. Coffee has put the employee on paid leave for one month.
The barista's name has not been released. He was described only as a man in his 20s.
Travis Boersma, CEO of Dutch Bros. Coffee issued the following statement via the Lane PR firm:
"We are extremely thankful that our employee was not injured in the robbery on November 24 and are appreciative that no charges will be filed. The employee is on paid leave and is welcome back when he is ready to return to work. We work closely with our employees and do our best to ensure they are safe and protected while at work and will continue to do so. All procedures will be reviewed and evaluated as a result of this incident."
Police say the man who was killed and an accomplice tried to rob the Dutch Bros. Coffee drive-through on the night of Nov. 24.
Police are still seeking information on the second man, who fled.
The Register-Guard reports that the man who was killed -- 27-year-old Sirus Combs of Eugene -- had been previously convicted of drunken driving, unlawful possession of a weapon and attempting to elude police.

Good for DB for keeping his job for him. Even though he broke company policy by carrying at work. :s0155:

I doubt my employer would do the same. I would be fired.

Excellent news about the employee. Thanks to everyone who has posted these updates. I wish death on no man, but the barrista did the honorable thing in defending himself and the establishment. Dutch Bros response is refreshingly level-headed...maybe I'll grab a cup of joe at the stand I pass every day after all.

Also, it looks like Uncle Cam was right, the bad guys don't obey the gun laws after all. Humph.

I'm sending another email to DB to say good job, then i'm going to go get a dutch freeze with irish cream.

Excellent idea. I will be sure to mention this case at my next visit...we all can spread the word by letting our local DB know we appreciate their company stepping up in this positive manner

The Barista is supposed to be on Lars Larson's talk show today between 12 and 4... I will have to try and catch it from work...

Quote:
Originally Posted by atypicalparkie
Portland area Dutch Brothers locations
514 SE Belmont
6710 SE. Foster
13640 SE Division

Note to robbers: Avoid locations listed here.
:s0114: heck SheepDog, for real I laugh-spewed coffee down my shirt reading your post... but luckily didn't splatter the laptop :s0155:

On the more serious note at hand: I'm sure glad DB has given the barista paid leave & hope they'll offer him counseling. Actually, I'd be very very surprised if they didn't insist on it-- whether for legal/liability issues or just because it'd be the smart thing to do. Most of us have never had to shoot another human and sure hope we don't. Even though the barista was completely justified in protecting his own life, being involved in any violent confrontation can really do a number on a person.

Odd coincidence, self-employment being what it is for me (feast or famine... currently famine since I work with people based in Ireland) I'm interviewing for a barista position today (not at a Dutch Bros, btw)... and since most of the employees are friends, they know I have a ccl. The interviewing manager does not, so I'm feeling a tiny bit :s0131: . But I carry & will continue to do so...

I thought some of you guys would find this interesting, the family of the deceased robber is apparently asking people to donate to causes in their son's name...

In lieu of flowers, the family would love donations made to a charity that speaks to you about Sirus. We would like his passing to inspire contributions to causes like gun control, Food for Lane County or DARE, that help people who have fallen through the cracks.

Hopefully the link works...
Sirus Elisha Combs Obituary: View Sirus Combs's Obituary by Eugene Register-Guard

^^ Too bad they censor posts to the guest book. I posted that he clearly didn't have the same love and respect that his family is going on about for those he put in danger by choosing to rob.

Perhaps the guest book wouldn't be a proper place for that, though the comments sections on all the kval articles have been enlightening. This creep's friends and family have even threatened people on there.

Perhaps the guest book wouldn't be a proper place for that, though the comments sections on all the kval articles have been enlightening. This creep's friends and family have even threatened people on there.

You are probably right. My anger towards people who decide to put law abiding people in danger overran my politeness. I'm sure that the family is upset and grieving. I just feel like the other commenter's to the obituary are being duped.

That's true it's not the families fault and the dead cease to care so it's not cool to punish the family on an Obituary. I don't feel any empathy for the victim criminal though.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top