JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I know an owner of one of the stands, the owners of Dutch Bros will do the right thing and take care of there own.

I too am very eager to follow this story. I was disheartened to read that DB has a policy against CC, but if it's just one of those things they "have on the books for legalease" and the managers allow different then I will remain loyal to the DB mafia!

The Batista def needs some rest, a little free counseling just to air emotions and paid leave. If DB does wrong by them, I def will be going elsewhere for my latte.

Other than that, there really isn't enough info released to formulate a response.

I too am very eager to follow this story. I was disheartened to read that DB has a policy against CC, but if it's just one of those things they "have on the books for legalease" and the managers allow different then I will remain loyal to the DB mafia!

The Batista def needs some rest, a little free counseling just to air emotions and paid leave. If DB does wrong by them, I def will be going elsewhere for my latte.

Other than that, there really isn't enough info released to formulate a response.
;) The barista will be taken care of, guarantee it.

ETA: Yes it was his CCW..........thats all that is being let out.

Very unfortunate situation. As someone said earlier, there is no good death.

I will be sending a note to Dutch Bros. I do not want this person fired. They didn't asked to be robbed.

+1 to the barista. Hope they're alright. :(

UPDATE,, also i wrote a note to dutch bros. in support of the employee. am hoping some of you do the same.

Eugene police have identified the man shot by a barista during a robbery Wednesday night as 27-year-old Sirus Elisha Combs of Eugene.

Combs died during what police describe as an exchange of gunfire at a Dutch Bros. coffee kiosk on Franklin Boulevard just east of the University of Oregon about 9 p.m. Wednesday. The barista who shot Combs apparently was not seriously injured, but police declined to identify him Thursday.

Lt. Doug Mozan of the Eugene Police Department said shots were fired from at least two guns. He did not say how many times Combs was hit, but he was apparently dead when officers arrived.

Police are still searching for a second man who was with Combs during the robbery. He is described as a white male, 20 to 30 years old and 5 feet 10 inches tall with blonde hair. He was last seen wearing jeans, brown hiking shoes with black bottoms and a zip-up, puffy coat with a fold-down collar.

Mozan said the man should be considered dangerous. Anyone who sees him or knows where he is should not approach him but should call 911 or Eugene police Detective Dan Braziel at 541-682-5836.

Read more in Friday’s Register-Guard.

The robber who was shot.

23174_1711140758_5311_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I took a few moments to send a letter about their foresight in allowing their employees to defend themselves. I'll pretend I didn't know about the company policy. =)

-d

I think one of the guys at the last magpul class in Portland was an Exec at Dutch Bros. He knew what he was doing and obviously trained a lot.

I'm betting Dutch Bros. will handle this incident correctly.

I also wrote them a letter in support of him.
I hope everything turns out alright for him. I hope that I don't find myself in that same situation as just about every employer has an anti-gun policy. When it all comes down to it, I would rather be breathing than work for someplace that would rather have me dead than follow their policy.
I have had a gun pulled on me by a customer at work who was mentally unstable. My employer just shrugged it off and took no action. At that point I decided I needed to take matters into my own hands as this employee has done.
Life's all about choices, I think the choice to live is the most important one and I'm proud of that employee for making that choice.

I have never had Dutch Brothers coffee, normally I have gotten starbucks, but if they support their employee, I will support them.

Best thing Dutch Bros. could do would be to put the employee on paid leave, pay for counseling if the employee needs it, and have them back on the schedule when possible. We need businesses to begin supporting self defense, rather than discouraging it like the pizza delivery guy who was fired in a similar situation.
True true true as ski_dog and ProLandSurveyor also said. I'm absolutely going to write to DB in support of the employee as well. Like others have mentioned in various threads (and I'm certain many here know first-hand *sigh*), no one wants to ever have to even draw their ccw in such a situation, much less kill somebody. But that employee, in fear for his own life... I sure am glad he was carrying and defended himself. I sure have gone over the possible reality of facing such a scenario myself... every day, often, from long before I finally decided to carry every day. I'd bet we all did, and still do...

As parallax posted:
"Lt. Doug Mozan of the Eugene Police Department said shots were fired from at least two guns.
-- it doesn't say definitively that the BG's were armed, but it seems apparent that at least one of them were. I sure hope they catch the accomplice-- it's really impressive that even after the barrista had to go through that horrible experience, he could give the police such a detailed description of the guy who ran, down to the brown hiking boots with black bottoms. Wow. That kind of mindfulness is inspirational.

My Letter -

Dear Dutch Brothers Management Team,

I was very sad to hear of the tragic situation that occurred at one or your Eugene, Oregon locations. My heart goes out to all of your employees that were either directly or indirectly involved.

First off, I am a very long term customer. I was a daily fixture at your McMinnville, OR locations until I moved to Vancouver, WA. Not I routinely support your 4th Plain and several NE Portland locations.

The purpose of this letter is to support your employee that had the wherewithal to protect himself as will as his coworkers and the company he works for. Although there was a tragedy involved, it is so good to read that the criminal was the person that paid the ultimate price for his actions, not the innocent employee that works in a somewhat vulnerable position. It is my hope the Dutch Brothers fully supports this employee with whatever he or she needs. Paid time off, counseling, and continued employment at the very least.

I am well aware that allowing employees to carry guns is a hot topic. However, as I am sure you can see, getting the police to an incident in time to prevent a tragic injury or death to your employees in such a situation is nearly impossible. I highly encourage you to support your employees 2nd Amendment Constitutional right to protect themselves.

Thank you for your time.

Respectfully,

Gregg M Robinson

I am a barista at a Dutch Bros. in Eugene. I know the barista who was forced to use lethal force in self-defense. Recently, the barista in question was forced to make a tough, but necessary, decision that enabled him to live and the would-be robber to not. People may wonder why the barista was armed. That is simple: Because obviously, these places get robbed and it can be a dangerous place to work at alone at night. That much seems indisputable.

Dutch Bros. Coffee takes its cues from the public. Believe me, I have never seen a company so receptive to feedback. That being said, we cannot let them take disciplinary actions on the barista. We must show them that the public supports the barista and his actions in defending his life. Dutch Bros. is having a company-wide meeting today to discuss these issues. I will be making sure we rally behind our fellow employee. For those who wish to make a difference and help out, here’s what you can do:

1) Send feedback in support of the barista to their website:
Dutch Bros. Coffee | Contact Us | Nutritional Info | Jobs | Donations
By taking a couple minutes to share your thoughts and to promise customer loyalty to a company that stands behind their employee, you can help save this man’s job and support him and his efforts. They will listen. This will make a difference and I’m sure the barista would appreciate this support.
2) Tell everyone you know to do the same. Tell them to go to Dutchbros.com and leave a message of support. Copy and paste this post and send it in an email to everyone who will listen. The more people we have rallying behind the barista, the more likely the company will do the same.

Thank You

Just did my part with a letter to Dutch Brothers:

Dear Dutch Brothers Management Team,

I am writing in support of your employee that was involved in a self-defense confrontation in one of your Eugene, Oregon locations. Although this was a tragic event, I am glad that neither the employee or any customers were harmed. I encourage you to have careful consideration when reviewing this incident and to remember that crime can happen anywhere. The worst thing a person can do to protect themselves is nothing. My support goes out to you as a company and the employee and I hope you continue to publically stand behind this employee.

Sincerely,
XXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXX

Dutch Brother's is my favorite coffee place and I'll be watching this closely. If DB wants to have a policy, that's their business-even though I think it shows denial of the serious threats against its employees. On a side note, DB should have never said what their policy regarding employees and weapons is. They should simply state, "We don't' discuss our security measures or personnel policies." Putting it out there that DB has a policy against employees and concealed carry just lets the criminals know where to go for an easy victim. If DB fires this guy-how many DB baristas that low-key carry anyway may need the job so bad they leave their gun at home. DB might want to think real hard about this!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top