JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I trying to find some Duracoat locally so I can refinish my firearms, but cant seem to find a local retailer. Anyone know of any shops that are reasonable on price? I'm not really interested in having somebody else do it for me. My days of lacquering drumsets and guitars, i feel, gives me the experience i need to duracoat a few guns :D

Thanks for the offer, but a friend and I are already splitting the shipping.
No local sellers eh :huh:

i've looked and have seen other threads on other boards never found any locally

if you want to split shipping 3 ways that should save a few bucks as it does not cost much to add another bottle to the order its the initial shipping cost thats the big amount

Just go to Sherwin Williams and just ask for polane that is all duracoat is, they just bottle it up and put their own name on it. You will have to find a bigger store because most will only carry black. 50 bucks a gallon is better than 50 for 8 oz. You can also get polane T which has a bit of graphite for texture. It is used for painting industrial machinery. It is pretty cool looking stuff. You just cant spray the inside of anything. I dont use reducer (with duracoat)either. Just use a good gun. Airbrushes are a pain in the but and you will get a better finish with a auto touch up gun. Even cheaper guns from the autoparts store are better than anything expensive 5-10 years ago. Technology has gotten so much better that a 90 dollar gun shoots like a 500 dollar gun 10 years ago. The auto spray gun will use a tad more paint but the finish is worth it.

Jason
Dead On Accurate LLC

Hmm... luckily we have an account at Sherwin Williams where I work. I'll try to call them sometime and see if there is any color tints you can buy. As for the stencils, I think I'd rather do them myself. Its a little more rewarding that way.

Ok here's the deal i finally found a store and a person that knows a little about Prolane T (Tualitan Sherwin Williams), they have black and white on the shelf, they know it's good paint and tuff they said. They don't have paint chips but maybe they can get them. They did said they can get any color that is on the list that i printed of the net from BLVDKING's link. He said the price was about $75.00 per gallon he couldn't tell me the price of the cadalyst:( but thought it would cost about $30.00, he also couldn't tell me the price of the reducer but we weren't sure which one to use but around $30.00 a gallon. BTW it's only sold by the gallon.
So.... i was able to talk him into giving me a couple of ounces to experiment with:s0155:
I promply took it home and started experimenting. i only got the paint because if they make Duracoat then all the catalyst and reducers should work right?;)
So the first thing i noticed is i had to reduce 150% to get it to the same consistancy of Duracoat, when your coating a firearm you don't want a large amount of build up, (it does smell about the same) it did seem to have a little reaction to the reducer but seemed to come out of it. No problem with the catalyst:).
Sprayed it on a bead blasted peice of metal seemed to go on ok, BUTT it's been 1 hour and 10 minutes and it still is not dry to the touch, if i was using Duracoat i would be putting stincils on right now or putting the gun back together.:s0114:

Ok i did want this stuff to work even if the only color was black, that is what i use the most, but with what i am seeing i would not put this stuff on my firearm or my customers or recommend it to some one.
Prolane T may be what Duracoat is but some chemist is tweaking it before it is put into a Duracoat bottle.
BTW i still have most of the F63B12 Carbide Black that he gave me so if anybody else wants to experiment let me know and i will let you have it.

1.5 hours still not dry.:s0129:

Steve,

Hmm, I think it might be the 150% reducer! Haha. Reducer is meant to slow the dry time instead of thin it. Is there any quick flashing thinner for Polane?
I talked to the automotive paint instructor at the college I work at. He's also an avid gun owner and said he would use Polane on his guns any day. But weather or not its the same as Duracoat? I guess we'll never know.
BTW: Thanks for the awesome review, I guess you got to it before I could. Let my know how the finish holds up. :D

Sorry I dropped that and havent been back. They do something to it to make it "duracoat" Otherwise they couldnt just pin their name on it. It would be copyright infringement. But...... About 3-4 years ago I think it was on quite a few of the sights (IE practical machinist, longrangehunting, etc...) Someone in the know said it indeed was the same stuff just thinned down to run thrue an airbrush so most guys could use it in their garage without the use of ventelation, expensive paint guns and such. I do not know if it is true or not but I have been using Polane not Prolane or Prolane T for quite some time. I havent found a matting agent that works with it tho. I have used the Polane T for steps and tooling and a few grips for texture. It contains chips of graphite and takes a different catylist. I too tried them with some of the old duracoat hardeners to start with. NO GOOD. If you go by their mixing instructions and 20-33% reduction thrue a automotive paint gun you will get a finish that you cannot tell the difference between it or duracoat. I actually think it is abit more resilliant than the duracoat. Only because when I used it on a stock and get the harsh anti copper solvents on it. It isnt even fazed when I get some changing going on with plane oll duracoat. For all the colors I just buy duracoat. The few colors I had mixed for me didnt look exactly right and its easier to get someone to pick colors from out of the book and put that on. That way if its not what they saw in their head they picked the colors, not you getting them mixed up for them. Its one thing for the average guy to save some money on a couple projects but if you are trying to make a living at it I would go with the name brand that way you have them to stand behind it and just alot more acceptable to most guys. I would use polane on my own stuff but never on a guys that was paying me for it. UNLESS they asked for polane. I wouldnt try and steer them one way or the other.

Jason

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR