JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just had a quick question for anyone out there who does refinishing, etc.: How would common house paint (say, Behr from Home Depot) hold up on AR furniture? I mean, it's probably a thicker coat than Cerakote, Gunkote or Duracoat for one, and I'm not sure of its temperature and wear tolerance.

For example, the two closest matches I've been able to find for a specific target shade of green are an off-the-shelf Behr and a custom Cerakote mix of 14 parts green to 1 part white--the Behr is a little closer to a match and can be had off-the-shelf, but it's also a latex-based paint and thus might need a clear topcoat since my girlfriend has a latex allergy.

For reference, here are the target and the two shades in question (target in the middle):
5E664A Behr Fiddle Leaf house paint
5D6648 Canadian Average Green
5D6348 Cerakote custom-mix 14:1 H-400Q Jesse James Eastern Front Green/H-242Q Hidden White

Okay, a few followups:
1. Is an 8oz. "sample bottle" of paint enough to cover a full AR furniture set?
2. If I need to apply a "barrier layer," (and do I?) would regular house paint survive the baking of Cerakote or Gunkote as that barrier?
3. Is the juice worth the squeeze for the extra point or two closer in RGB values, or should I just Easy Button and tell my neighborhood gunsmith "I need a 14/1 mix applied to these four parts, how much do I make the check for?"

Long time ago as an experiment I sprayed an 870 with whatever quality rattle can paint I found at the Home Dept. When I was done it looked great, at first, then I started to use the gun and get the gun out in the elements. In a very short amount of time, the paint started to chip, peel, bubble (yes all the proper prep was done just like we do for cerakote) and within a month or two I stripped it again and gave it a fresh coat of cerakote and years later it still looks great. I am sure there are a lot of people reading this who will disagree and say their rattle can job still looks great and it very well may and nothing against those jobs. I am just speaking from personal experience... plus the experiences of dozens and dozens of other guns that have come into the shop because someones buddy rattle canned it in this backyard for half a case of coors light and 2 months later, they want it done right lol

Mixing 14 to 1 parts of different colored paint is super easy, we mix paint to hardener every time we cerakote a gun! Shoot us a PM if you want some more info or pricing!

Point being, buy nice, or buy twice! ;)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top