JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I had this AMD65 clone that was built by shop in Boise ID about 12 years ago. The gun shot well but I hated how it was finished. Every component had a different finish making the gun look like a POS :)

I decided to give Duracoat a try in HK black and this is how it turned out:

DSC_1640_zpsrbrsof2q.jpg DSC_1693_zpsducvp6yo.jpg DSC_1692_zpsnyp7rsmu.jpg DSC_1634_zpsv4f0ld0l.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Lookin good! I did the frame on my witness in duracote. Used the rattle can stuff. It will dull out some over time. At least mine did.

IMG_0449_zpsxiseuyet.jpg

I did my latest couple of FAL's in Duracoat and it turned out really well. I did the same HK black and really like how it "ages" with use! The FAL's were never really coated with any consistancy and were prone to all sorts of damage and scaring as well as rusting, this gives it a nice finish that lasts and still shows use! Nice job, looks great!

I use the oven when I clean up surface rust. I scuff it up with steel wool and then put the parts in the oven at 125 for about 30 minutes. This heats up the metal and open the pours in the metal from expantion. Then while hot, I will spray WD-40 and watch the steam.........no more surface rust.

Then you are just messing around with water based house paint. Real paint has a catalyst or hardener. IE, automotive paint, aerospace paint and even Duracoat.

Nope, I use only the cheapest spray paints for my cars. Real men don't paint houses nor mow lawns. Anyway, I fell for your trap. :cool:

On the duracote spray cans, there's a button on the bottom you pull and it releases the catalyst into the can. Ya shake it up real good and have to use it within a day or so before it sets up.

Even rattle cans have a catalyst. It is activated by the oxygen after you spray it.

Only partially factual. Some do, some don't. Most simply air dry, nothing to do with oxygen. However, those specifically made for automotive use may have catalysts and hardeners in them that use both air dry and chemical reactions to provide resistance to solvents such as gasoline.

If anyone in my area interested I have a kit in Tactical OD Green for sale for $40. Online it takes 2 weeks to get and costs $50. I bought this color by accident, damn Amazon :-(

Weekend project anyone?

DSC_1698_zpslkkkedfz.jpg

UPS delivered another kit of HK Black paint today :)

I had this Century HK91 clone for over 12 years, I love this rifle. Over time I've been trying many different scope mounts installed without success scratching the hell out the finish on the receiver. It needed refinishing bad. Since the AK turned out so well it was time for the G3 :)

DSC_1700_zpsvt2l9a2u.jpg DSC_1703_zpsbtmb6rz1.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads