JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've always been told that dry firing is bad. But, part of pistol training is dry firing. LaserLyte has their training targets that you put a laser in the barrel, then dry fire it (the laser is sound pwered). So, is dry firing actually ok?

google it or search on the forum.

this has been discussed many times, just like A caliber is better than your B caliber.

READ the gun manual.

I have reached a point of when someones tells me " I have always been told" that I point them to a resource or 2 and tell them to make thier own decision.
i realize this is contrary to what the tell you in public school, but to be a good gun ower/user/shooter you must have critical thinking skills.

Resouces for this question:
Owners manual
Mfg website/online manual
Yourself - If you think you need them use them.

Now makeYOUR decision.

Rimfires, no dry fire. Center fire, dry fire all day long. If it can't handle it, time to get a good gun. I dry fire practice often with zero negative effects.

Not necessarily that black and white. Generally that is true, but I had a personal case of where dry-firing a centerfire pistol damaged the firing pin.

This was in a Keltec PF9. The way it is designed, if you dry fire without a snap cap in the gun, the firing pin will hit the screw that retains it, thus deforming the screw shank and the firing pin itself. I found this out while doing a detail strip of the gun and not being able to get the firing pin out. I had to make a tool to be able to drive it out with a hammer from the breech face. Keltec sent me a new one, free of charge, and I replaced it.

Note that this never caused any malfunctions of the firing pin because it is not deforming the tip, just part of the body. But in this instance, dry firing without a snap cap did do damage to the pistol.

I would use snapcaps if you are worried about it.
For me dry firing has saved a lot of range ammo. I like practicing with a coin balanced on the front site.
It helps my trigger pull quite a bit.

I dry fire almost daily. Probably saves around 5,000 rnds a week.
I use a foam ear plug over the firing pin. Not so much as to limit damage but to keep from driving my wife nuts when she's trying to sleep and I'm watching the news.

A coin on the front helps with control but I found a cheap laser works better. You don't have to keep resetting it and you can actually see what is happening when you pull the trigger.
After a while you will have it down to where the first DA shot actually stays on target and not being pulled off by bad trigger control.
Of course that is for DA/SA guns.

Glocks and such are so superior that they will make anyone a dead shot gunslinger and no practice is required.

As a SAMI in the Navy, one of our exercises was to put a piece of paper on the way with crosshairs on it, have the trainee put a ball point pin in the barrel, get a sight picture from 3 inches away and fire to determine correct trigger squeeze. I have dry fired ever gun except rim fire with no issues, but read the manual.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews