JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Which rifle?

• DRD Tactical Paratus

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • FN Scar 17s

Votes: 10 66.7%
  • POF Revolution

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Reactions
So I've wanted a Scar17s since forever but just recently found the DRD tactical Paratus break down rifle. I don't know why but for some reason I really want a 308 with a folding stock. And not just a Law Tactical adapter setup. So if you had to choose between those two which one?
If you have another suggestion feel free to let me know.
Thanks everyone.

I went to purchase the best available semi auto 7.62 combat rifle 3 years ago. I was open to something like a SOCOM but wanted something better than a Springfield that I had observed many problems with and wanted a suppressor for it. I have a Orignal FN FAL (that I like) and several bolt sniper rifles including an orignal M24 kit. I bought the SCAR and have never looked back. It shoots differently than any other battle rifle I have ever fired (and I have fired all the legitimate ones) it is as accurate as my orignal M24 armory tuned sniper rifle and shoots anything I have put through it. It is ambidextrous, has a gas setting for use with my Gentec suppressor and is quite light. The recoil is negligible, little more than an AR, is a piston driven action. I had 10,000 to spend and used around 4,000 including the purchase of the suppressor. I have yet to apply an exotic sighting apparatus only because I can't decide what to use. FN sent me a Gisel trigger for no charge. I had a scope on it that I had to remove the rear sight to mount and when I took it off could not find it. I called FN to order a replacement. They looked me up and said they will call me back, a week later one showed up in my mail. It just is unbeatable.

Last Edited:
So I've wanted a Scar17s since forever but just recently found the DRD tactical Paratus break down rifle. I don't know why but for some reason I really want a 308 with a folding stock. And not just a Law Tactical adapter setup. So if you had to choose between those two which one?
If you have another suggestion feel free to let me know.
Thanks everyone.
Another wonderful folding stock 7.62 rifle is one assembled by Grindel company.....they made cheep junk semi auto handguns but also built what they labeled a SRT 101(?). I owned one and only sold it because it was right handed. It was made up on a Sako action with a fluted carbine length barrel and a solid under folding stock. As I remember it was just over 26" (legal) overall when folded. I have seen some for sale since but they are very rare and still right handed.

Scar 17! Best $2800 ever spent!
I might be biased though ;)

64E78129-B042-440A-B126-7F1BC6BA9202.jpeg 32DAF0D4-E486-4AA3-860E-83B21553A663.jpeg

Anyone know where I could get a good deal on a Scar17s? I found one for 2899 which isn't bad but obviously a better deal would be fantastic.
Thanks

I'd consider an IWI Galil Ace in .308. Going that route will leave you with $1,200 to spend on a good optic and/or ammo.
I did as well. I like almost everything about it except all the reviews I've read it's not even remotely as accurate as any of the other options. As a battle rifle only it would be great and accuracy would be adequate. I'm just looking for a bit more.

The author in the link got sub-MOA out of his Ace.

"My best 100-yard group measured 0.81 inches using Remington's 165-grain Premier AccuTip ammo."

Some complain that the AK-style top cover on the Ace doesn't provide proper support for a scope, but I haven't had any issues with mine. Great battle rifle IMO.

Shot the Scar 16 and it didn't float my boat. Perhaps the 17 is a different animal. Still, too costly IMO when there are cheaper, and arguably comparable/superior options for way less coin. YMMV. I'm sure I'd be happy with a Scar 17. :)

I'd consider an IWI Galil Ace in .308. Going that route will leave you with $1,200 to spend on a good optic and/or ammo.
Had a Galil Ace in .308. IMHO its more towards battle rifle than anything else. One of the things I didn't like was having the rails on the top cover and gas tube and having a left side charging handle to keep it from having a siderail (which would have been better than the top rail IMHO). With red dots or prism scopes no big deal. Also not a fan of it using SR-25 magazines, the bolt slams into the follower which is a poor way to have a BHO (and it seems that was not intentional).

One of the things I didn't like was having the rails on the top cover and gas tube and having a left side charging handle to keep it from having a siderail (which would have been better than the top rail IMHO).

With rail cover in place.

8bNGJ7Y.jpg

Exposed rail in front of charging handle. (Ditto for other side.)

LvmEWhC.jpg

Charging handle is non-ambi, but as a rightie I prefer it on the left. Bolt hold open works great and never noticed it hitting the follower; will have to check that.

Edit: Checked the BHO and you are correct. The bolt will hold open with Lancer mags, and the mags will drop free. But, when the mag is released the bolt will hit home in true AK style.

Last Edited:
With rail cover in place.

View attachment 439264

Exposed rail in front of charging handle. (Ditto for other side.)

View attachment 439265

Charging handle is non-ambi, but as a rightie I prefer it on the left. Bolt hold open works great and never noticed it hitting the follower; will have to check that.
I know the handguards have rails, I was commenting in regards to optics. With top covers that have to come off for maintenance, a siderail always feels more secure IMHO. With "heavy" optics anyways.

And the BHO isn't really a BHO, as much as it is a side effect. The follower of the SR-25 magazines comes up high enough for the bolt to slam into. The 5.56 has a BHO. I don't consider the Galil Ace as a bad option, just was never for me (now the original Galil is a different story, I still hope and pray that market may return one day).

I guess my big concern is that "Other shooters have seen similar accuracy, mostly in the 1.25-inch range". I'm not pro shooter but I'd like to be within 1moa. I even fore the $1800 that the ace goes for I don't feel like I'm asking that much. Yes half an inch isn't much but it adds up quickly. As a "battle rifle" the Galil sounds amazing. But like I said I'm just looking for a little more.

Keep in mind that precision as a requirement in militaries is recent, in regards to the semiautomatics that is. In ranges where most DMRs get used, sub-MOA accuracy is more of a bonus than it is a flat out necessity. FALs have been used in the past as DMRs, and in some cases still do get used as such (mostly by countries that can't afford to upgrade or militants). The Russkies still use the SVD; while it is plenty accurate for its role, it is still not sub-MOA. For sniping, where bolt guns are king, sub-MOA is the rule.

TL;DR: For semiautomatics as long as its better than 3 MOA its accurate enough.

Closer to $1,500 and shoots as accurate as anything I own. :) Have you looked at the Ruger Precision, or do you need semi-auto?

Let us know what you decide on and how it works for you.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews