JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Reactions
My buddy and I put one of those heavy target shooting balls on top of a Tannerite canister and then...well see for yourself in the video...the ball came down, missing my head by a few feet but ended up landing directly on the stock of my buddies Marlin 1895 45-70 that was hanging over the table ledge. Broke it clean off. Marlin was a good sport in the ordeal and replaced it free of charge. Let this be a lesson of what NOT to do.

Last Edited:
Not trying to be that guy, but that looks like public land.

Shooting explosive targets on public lands is illegal.

Also you have zero backstop at this site.

I'm just calling it as I see it.

I thought about not saying anything for a while here too but since Reno mentioned it I will too. Guys it's great you are enjoying shooting. Doing what you are doing here is just feeding the anti gun and anti shooting people. Its just dumb luck no one was seriously injured or killed. If someone had been hit this is what leads to someone then wanting to sue everybody who sold them this "dangerous item". Please don't help the anti shooting, anti gun folks by giving them ammo to use against us.

Don't even worry about it @Alexx1401 I'm certain your post with mine may hopefully cut through to @Pittsmaster and get him to do two things.

Be more responsible on public lands.

Be legal.

It's action and activity like this that not only gives recreational shooting on public lands a poor image, it's what leads to getting areas closed.

Any questions @Pittsmaster I am plenty open to pointing you in the right direction to safe and more responsible shooting locations.

I can't help you with the tanerite, I only hope you see the errors in this and only decide to further use it on your own property or property of someone that ok with its use.

Not trying to be that guy, but that looks like public land.

Shooting explosive targets on public lands is illegal.

Also you have zero backstop at this site.

I'm just calling it as I see it.

This.

Was nice of Marlin to replace the stock.

I'm not so sure they should have though, as they didn't have anything to do with it breaking off.

Now, I'll be that guy.

Every time one goes shooting, and every time someone posts up video of shooting, it is taken as a representation of the firearms community as a whole.

Shoot following coopers 4 rules. Always.

So yah, don't be putting things on top of or near tannerite.

Don't use tannerite on public lands.

Respect others future use of public lands.

Thanks for the heads up on the legality on public lands. Honestly wasn't aware. Can you point me to the statute or code?

As for the stupidity of placing things on top of Tannerite, the intent of posting the video here was to remind folks of the dangers.

Thanks for the heads up on the legality on public lands. Honestly wasn't aware. Can you point me to the statute or code?
Trash No Land Shooting Rules

Like I said. I'm more than happy to point you in the direction of safe recreational shooting areas.

Also, there are closures on pretty much all public lands right now due to fire season and the extended dry periods.

Trash No Land Shooting Rules

Like I said. I'm more than happy to point you in the direction of safe recreational shooting areas.

Also, there are closures on pretty much all public lands right now due to fire season and the extended dry periods.

Thanks for your kind gestures. The video was recorded last year, before the closures. Are you familiar with the specific location in the video?

Wow.

That was the dumbest thing I've seen on this site.

We don't need a reminder of what not to do thank you very much.

As for the stupidity of placing things on top of Tannerite, the intent of posting the video here was to remind folks of the dangers.

Thanks for your kind gestures. The video was recorded last year, before the closures. Are you familiar with the specific location in the video?

I figured your intentions were to illustrate the hazards.

I hope you understand my intentions are not to be some sort of internet a hole.

Myself as well as @Cogs @Kristina @citizen a @Rem700..300 are a part of a non profit working to keep public lands open. As well as a growing number of good people with a green badge next to their name.

I see your signature line has a bunch of affiliation that shows you are likely a good person and believe in keeping rights.

Well I'd like to use you and your video as a teaching example.

A lot of things are wrong in it.

A lot of things could have been better.

The tanerite damage could have simply been prevented if it was used correctly. Not addressing the fact it's illegal to use on public lands. The fact that the label states to be used at a certain distance.

The location has no earth backstop. So even if it was not in a dry weather fire hazard closure, it still is not a legal nor fire resistant shooting location.

I hope you take these things in with an open ear and make owning these lands part of your shooting experience.

That's all I have to add for now.

Hit me up anytime via PM!

Last Edited:
GEEZ, put the pitchforks and the crucifixes away please. The guy came clean and was willing to share a moment that most of us would've been too ashamed to share.

But like the rest of you, I've never done anything stupid in my life.

Thanks for sharing your hard learned lesson pittmaster and for coming away from it smarter than you were before. ;)

GEEZ, put the pitchforks and the crucifixes away please. The guy came clean and was willing to share a moment that most of us would've been too ashamed to share.

Thanks for sharing your hard learned lesson pittmaster and for coming away from it smarter than you were before. ;)

Thank you!

I don't see this as a hard learned lesson, but more like careless and dangerous.

Not trying to bash on the OP at all, but so many things are wrong here and you both just laughed and laughed.

I don't see anything funny.

Now you're making me laugh too!! Haha laughter is good for the soul. Lighten up, you'll live longer.

No safe backstop, shooting explosive targets on public land and placing objects on top of the exploding target.....

Yeah, those are all real funny.

I have not yet seen any pitchforks here. I have seen several nicely pointing out to another shooter that he is feeding the anti shooting, anti gun crowd. Mistakes? Could write a book. Always glad to share them, hope I have learned from many of them even at my age. Still make plenty of them. What I would not do is post a video of me doing this that will be used by the people who want to make shooting illegal. Many shooters are their own worst enemies. Every time I go up on the mountain to shoot the places are looking like open trash dumps. Irresponsible shooters leaving garbage all over. These are the same ones who when gates and signs go up banning shooting will scream. We need to try to be responsible adults here. Shooting can be a TON and a half of fun. It also means we need to show how to be responsible adults if we are going to post video's on open forums.

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads