JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My wife and I are looking to get out of town soon and take a road trip with our half Border and half Blue Heeler. The dog will panic if left alone in a hotel room, but we'd like to get some shooting in. Not a bunch, just want to take advantage of the opportunity.

I'm looking for ways to protect her hearing and also to keep her calm as she has never been exposed to gunfire. Will be talking to her vet and will be using a body halter instead of a collar to help keep her restrained until we see how she reacts.

I'll keep within her comfort zone because I don't want her traumatized, but I'd like to get her at least a bit used to gunfire. We will just be plinking and checking to make sure they are sighted in, so not doing mag dumps. Also rifles and pistols, maybe a shotgun.

Any suggestions on canina hearing protection?
Any suggestions on things or techniques to keep her calm?
Any suggestions in general?

My little guy at 6lbs hates the sound of firearms, fireworks, etc...

On the rare times he comes out with, I stuff his kennel with thick blankets for him to burrow into and then cover his kennel with more blankets and park as far as possible...

My little guy at 6lbs hates the sound of firearms, fireworks, etc...

On the rare times he comes out with, I stuff his kennel with thick blankets for him to borrow into and then cover his kennel with more blankets and park as far as possible...

Thanks! Unfortunately this one hates kennels and will bark nonstop if we leave her inside the truck. Perhaps she could deal with being in the truck with the right medication if we occasionally take a break to love on her,

I have an Aussie (similar breed as yours, kinda) that is afraid of explosions and Ive had some luck getting her used to gunfire in the background. If you cant leave yours in the truck while you target shoot, then have someone stay with yours in the truck while the other shoots. Hold the dog close. Try only a few rounds and check the dogs reaction and stop if its too stressful.
If not too stressful then alternate but keeping shooting session short but try again another day a bit longer each time.

Every month or two, I truck the pup to the police shooting range near my house. The property is
quite large and I just put him on leash and walk him around beginning 200 yds out and then
closer until we're about 20 yrds from the firing line.

This started when he was about 10 weeks...with all his toys and favorite treats. Now, he seems
to prefer the quiet but doesn't freak out and settles down quickly. Same for blue angels over the
house and fireworks. A little pacing but takes his cue from my body language and voice so I
just head for the frozen banana slices and freeze dried liver and it's all good.

Gun owners need to have gun dogs!

My last lab went absolutely crazy when I was getting guns out and ready to go shooting !

He loved being in the field and while I never actually used him as a 'retriever' he loved coursing the desert when I was hunting jackrabbits and would occasionally flush one but it was not something he really cared about.

If I took him target shooting with me I would often have to get him to move as he would go lay down between the bench and the target.

He loved the outdoors and every thing that went with it and I still miss him after many years.

Gun owners need to have gun dogs!

My last lab went absolutely crazy when I was getting guns out and ready to go shooting !

He loved being in the field and while I never actually used him as a 'retriever' he loved coursing the desert when I was hunting jackrabbits and would occasionally flush one but it was not something he really cared about.

If I took him target shooting with me I would often have to get him to move as he would go lay down between the bench and the target.

He loved the outdoors and every thing that went with it and I still miss him after many years.
My Golden/Lab mix would run down range every time we fired. I had to put her in the truck, so we could get a couple of rounds in. Never hunted with her. Must be a breed thing. She didn't mind fireworks either.

CBD oils are not created equal but some do work. My rescue dog had a rough life before we got her. She already knew what a gun was a didn't like them. Fireworks the same. Nothing worked 100% but there was one CBD formula that seemed to work best. We tried several and most had zero effect.
(EDIT- With guns. Helped with shedding and skin issues)

My belief is some breeds do better. I have seen dogs at ranges that could care less about the sound. I always wondered about their superior hearing how they could handle it.

Last Edited:
Sorry to hear of your predicament. I have no real advice other than trying a cap gun around it but out of its sight. Good luck brother.

My yellow lab was not gun shy at all, she is the best hearing ear dog ever just watch her ears perk and head turn...

Google "Mutt Muffs." And Rex Specs makes some hearing protection (as someone already posted). Also give eye pro some serious consideration and especially if you're going to be shooting steel.

You'll want to break your dog in gradually to these and get her used to wearing them BEFORE your trip. To that end, it can be helpful to get your dog busy once you get the eye and ear pro on them. So put the stuff on and then take your dog out for a short walk. Or if she has a favorite toy she likes to play with, get her busy with that if you can. Anything to get the dog focused on something else besides the weird things you just put on her eyes and ears.

Dogs react to gunfire differently. How your dog currently reacts to fireworks may be a good indication of how she'll react to gunfire. But it's often best to introduce her gradually to gun fire. So one person can be shooting a .22 (start with a small caliber) and the other starts with the dog a couple hundred feet away and then start bringing her in closer and see how she reacts.

Great timely thread. Our pup is now going on 4 months. I've played a noise desensitization CD for him off an on...you know, the ones with fireworks, traffic sounds, 22lr? shots, baby crying, etc. He's been all m'eh so far. Off this week on vacay planning on taking him to the range. Will park as far away from the firing line as possible and either me or mamma will sit in the vehicle with him until we know how he will react to live fire. Cannot imagine the l'il guy wouldn't enjoy the sound of a 45acp LOL. It is, after all, a family tradition.

My part Aussie cattledog doesn't like fireworks, gunfire, JBLM mortars etc. The best I've found is using 4 drops of rescue remedy and a Thundershirt or truck harness. He doesn't seem to mind if he sees me shooting a .22lr off the back deck and he's behind the sliding glass door right behind me though. If he doesn't see me shooting or know where the gunfire is from coming from he freaks out. No amount of meds helps him during the JBLM mortar practice, the best I can do is let him hide under my desk during those rounds.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top