JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This is an oddball for sure.

If I took a rifle, and remove the barrel im 99% sure that does not make it an SBR, BUT lets say I add a barrel blank, barrel being defined as having a bore, at 12" just to see how it might look when I get a stamp or to test fitment, does that make it an SBR as its not technically a barrel as defined by the ATF.

Are you asking because you just want to "mock up" a rifle to see what it looks like? And I assume you are doing this at home?

Kinda, Im making a movie prop out of an old beat to hell Lee-Enfield thats in a condition I wouldn't consider suitable for shooting. That being said the only way the ATF says I can make it NOT a gun, in which case barrel length dosnt matter, is to torch the receiver. I dont need it to shoot, so im wondering if the barrel is solid steel stock, or aluminum stock, the length wont matter as its not a barrel.

Kinda, Im making a movie prop out of an old beat to hell Lee-Enfield thats in a condition I wouldn't consider suitable for shooting. That being said the only way the ATF says I can make it NOT a gun, in which case barrel length dosnt matter, is to torch the receiver. I dont need it to shoot, so im wondering if the barrel is solid steel stock, or aluminum stock, the length wont matter as its not a barrel.
I would think if there is no hole in the blank it would not be a barrel, just a receiver with a rod sticking out of it.

Removing the barrel on a Lee Enfield can be a challenge. JMHO and IANAL but I would think yuo could have someone weld the chamber shut and maybe even weld the bolt closed and you would be fine

A barrel with no rifling is not a rifle. A "barrel" with no bore at all (say, just a steel rod), would not be a rifle either.

Beyond that, to legally not be a firearm, I believe you have to cut it to pieces. If it can be "readily" restored, then it is still a firearm.

The IMI uzi which were imported with a 16 inch barrel and a short delrin solid barrel you could put on for display. Also recently a can cannon has a short barrel but it is blocked at the front so putting it on an ar lower still does not make the lower a sbr per the ATF. So putting on a fake barrel may be the best course. Delrin or wood also would be easier to work with as a mock up and can be press fit in.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top