JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I saw last night on the History channel, a report and investigation into silver bullets. They decided silver is too hard to allow the rifling in the barrel to grip and spin the bullet thus it is no more accurate than a musket ball.

You could always try a shotgun slug with a sabot.

0the Lone Ranger used silver bullets so he would only wound whoever he shot.And he never said they were pure silver so Im guessing they were a silver alloy as pure silver is too hard to engrave riffling into.But an alloy of silver and lead could be worked up that would work with the riffling.Also pure silver shrinks considerably when cooled so a standard mold would yeals too small a bullet for its intended cal.I am interested in having a few myself.Im thinking a silver nose jacket on a lead core would look good and perform very well.It would give the correct fit and engraving to the bore,have a real nice look in the loaded round and of course have the necessary silver bullet for the warewolves and other assorted nasties...Robin

Didn't bad guys in the old west load up 12ga shotgun rounds with a stack of 16 silver dimes? Or was that just me wasting my time watching movies ("Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid" - 1973).

Yes, you are a nutjob. But that's OK, I am too! :cool:

If you really want silver bullets what you ought to do is drill out the cavity in some JHPs, pour in some powdered silver, and seal it up with lead.... unless you can figure out how to make silver nitrate bullets like the Death Dealers did in Underworld, that is. ;)

UnderworldEvolution1.jpg

0the Lone Ranger used silver bullets so he would only wound whoever he shot.And he never said they were pure silver so Im guessing they were a silver alloy as pure silver is too hard to engrave riffling into.But an alloy of silver and lead could be worked up that would work with the riffling.Also pure silver shrinks considerably when cooled so a standard mold would yeals too small a bullet for its intended cal.I am interested in having a few myself.Im thinking a silver nose jacket on a lead core would look good and perform very well.It would give the correct fit and engraving to the bore,have a real nice look in the loaded round and of course have the necessary silver bullet for the warewolves and other assorted nasties...Robin

Actually pure lead has a BHN of 24.5. This compares favorably with Linotype, a commonly used bullet metal, which has a BHN of 22. Alloys added to silver are designed to make it more durable and harder. Common silver alloys run BHN 100-150. When the TV show said that silver was too HARD to shoot accurately in a rifle I believe that they were blowing smoke.

As BOX13 pointed out pure silver shrinks quite a bit more then pure lead. I believe the less then stellar accuracy in the rifle was due to undersized bullets. In any case a shotgun loaded with silver buckshot ought to work just dandy if you don't want to shoot up your Mercury dimes.

Yeh; the Lone Ranger used silver bullets exclusively. But, I always thought that silver was too hard a material. I thought it would accelerate the wear on his guns' barrels.

So there's a question...if you shoot silver bullets, do you need a special cleaning process to "de-silver" your bores?

Personally, I only shoot bullets made of pure gold.

Does it make me a nutjob...
...that I desperately want some real silver tipped bullets? I just want them for giggles. What would be cooler than keeping one revolver loaded up with silver tipped bullets just in case of werewolves?

It's perfectly alright, as long as you dress appropriately..

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top