JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Here are my questions on my new patient form.

Do you own any firearms?
Do you consider yourself an Oper8er?
Is is appropriate to hold your gat sideways?
which is better, AR15 or AK47?

all joking aside, if you read the articles about firearm related mortality among kids and adolescents the authors are very careful to be politically correct and avoid mentioning that a lot of teenage related firearm deaths are related to minority communities or gang violence.

But there is definitely increased risk of successful suicide if there is a gun in the home with a depressed teenager. My step daughter has mental health issues and I would consider myself negligent if I did not keep my firearms locked up at all times. I dont really need a doctor to tell me that though. But true common sense is a loss for many people with guns and they will not secure firearms with even toddlers in the home.

Now as a society, we need to decide if you are dumb enough to let your 4 year old have access to a loaded gun, should your doctor tell you not to do that? Should I have to tell people that smoking is bad for them? that's a bigger philosophical question

It appears that the survey was mainly about their emotional state which makes the question about firearms pertinent. If the subject were to answer the questions honestly and say they were always sad or angry it might indicate an issue where having access to firearms might be a concern, whether for suicide or a shooting.

Not that I like it much because they can end up focusing on the firearms too much. And what teen isn't all emotional.

elsie

If it's going to save one kid's life or keep them safe....
...while they're at it, it might be a good idea if they ask the kids if there are people in the home using prescription and/or non-prescription drugs? if they have a pool in the backyard? anyone collecting knives and swords at home? is mommy or daddy sad all the time? if they have working smoke detectors at home? if they always wear a seatbelt? is there any booze in the house or does mommy drink a lot of "special" orange juice before she drives them to WalMart? any drain cleaners/solvents under the kitchen sink? does the bathtub have a non-slip surface? are they home alone everyday after school? do they ride a bicyle? do you play football?

"... some soccer mom that's more worried about your range than the pool in her yard or the drain cleaner under her sink...reason to shut you down and nothing better to do with her time....maybe you could coach soccer"
(from Jack Reacher)

Teen suicide is real yes.
But I'd rather see better parents, and helping them to raise there kids right, and get to the heart of the problem.
In the end, if someone is gonna kill themselves, there gonna kill themselves...

I find it interesting that anybody would think it's ok for Dr's to double as a government stooge.
But I guess when the Dr's paychecks are being signed by uncle Sam more and more, they will feel more obligated to do what their boss asks of them.

My 13yo got a similar questionnaire at his last "inspection", but there were no gun questions - luckily. I told my son to answer all questions truthfully and hand it to the nurse when done. Teen suicide is real, so I don't mind pediatricians trying to catch tendencies early. As for firearms, I would have interacted with the pediatrician. I don't mind if they know we have them, heck at 350 million in the country someone needs to have them ;-) The question is what is this information used for. If it's to lecture parents about safe storage, fine by me. Go for it.
No lecture about storage. Probably the info is now on file. The form also asked if she had a sexual preference. So now they know she is not lesbian and we have guns.

My guess is if she gets diagnosed with depression in the future then we get the lecture.

My kid went in for a checkup and the question on the form was "do you have access to guns?". Since she doesn't have access to the safe, she put no.

I wonder how many people have a problem with Dr's asking this but don't think twice about ordering online, using electronic payments at the lgs, filling out a 4473, being a NRA member, being a NWFA member etc. If big brother wants to know, they will unless you totally are off grid and then that sends up a whole different set of red flags.

Finding out a bit more. Asked her about drug use then asked if parents drink.
I wish I had a copy of this form. Not really worried as much as annoyed.
She didn't rat us out about drinking though:D! Funny as she likes to bug me about my occasional beer or two.

Teen suicide is real yes.
But I'd rather see better parents, and helping them to raise there kids right, and get to the heart of the problem.
In the end, if someone is gonna kill themselves, there gonna kill themselves...
Teens are very impulsive, often act on raw emotion without reflecting much. Also they have little life experience to reference. Teen suicide is often opportunistic hence knowing of your teens' struggles is important - but they may not share them with you. So we have strict protocols around guns, and this works also in case we don't know about our children's darker side.

pro doctor anti stooge follow up :)

Taking a new shooter doctor colleague of mine and his wife to the range this afternoon to help them pick out a carry gun since they are getting CHL's (and have some fun)

DCDTDWb.jpg

Doctors certainly can go overboard. If I have a doctor like that, I get a different one! Obama said I can keep my doctor, so I must be able to get rid of him too.

Doctors seem to think they can be privy to all our secrets. I look at them as glorified mechanics. If I don't want to tell them something I say "None of your business".

What is this gun you speak of? Are you a licensed gunsmith? If not, stick to your specialty and quit violating my child's 4th Amendment rights. And by the way, Doc, you are fired. And then tell all your 2A supporting friends about Dr. X. Then perhaps if his/her pocket book is impacted he/she will quit being a stooge for the government.

Brutus Out

I'm not against the idea of the doctor asking if there are guns in the house considering the suicide and mental health care dilemma. The issue I have is the slew of gun control laws being passed that violate your due process, laws specifically empowering your doctor the ability to lawfully have your guns removed from you indefinitely. Ever disagreed with your doctor?

I'm not against the idea of the doctor asking if there are guns in the house considering the suicide and mental health care dilemma. The issue I have is the slew of gun control laws being passed that violate your due process, laws specifically empowering your doctor the ability to lawfully have your guns removed from you indefinitely. Ever disagreed with your doctor?
So if your dr. Is being empowered by the government and you don't have a problem with the dr. asking these type of questions then the falt is on you by allowing this to carry on.

So if your dr. Is being empowered by the government and you don't have a problem with the dr. asking these type of questions then the falt is on you by allowing this to carry on.

to clarify, I said the "idea" of it.

I do have a problem with it.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class