JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Teen suicide is real yes.
But I'd rather see better parents, and helping them to raise there kids right, and get to the heart of the problem.
In the end, if someone is gonna kill themselves, there gonna kill themselves...
I've said this before too, but I'm not so sure I wanna stand by it anymore.
I'm sure in some cases it's true, but if someone tries to OD, they could get scared after the fact and get their stomach pumped or whatever. With a firearm, once that trigger is pulled, it's over.
With many other ways to commit suicide, you can change your mind and stop or undo/reverse what's been done, so I'm less of a fan of that thought than I used to be.

Honestly, I'm torn over this.
Without going on and on and stating all my thoughts that you've already heard...
I don't really want a doctor asking especially if we ever pass a law giving a doctor the right and means to put a buying hold on anyone he wants.
But at the same time, if we can save lives I'm all about that. :confused:
And it's a whole 'nother topic, but where do mental health issues come into play?
As much as I hate it medical staff getting involved, with as many of these large profile shootings being done by psycho dudes, you gotta wonder how differently things could have been if a doctor had noticed some warning signs and put a firearms purchase hold on those guys. When they don't have a criminal record, there's nothing else stopping them from buying whatever they want.
While I love the right to go buy whatever I want, if whack-jobs keep it up the anti-gunners are eventually gonna get enough support to get exactly what they want...

Dunno if anyone noticed this in the OP, but my take on it is if Obamacare wants to collect data on gun ownership and "mental" problems that is more likely to mean that your kid goes on the list as well as you. Your child could show up on NICS as a mental defective like the veterans that we have read about who went in for help from PTSD.
Also, what is the great victory that the anti-gunners seek nowadays? Complete registration of ALL guns, including the umpteen millions out there that weren't bought thru NICS.
Just sayin'.

Just had a doctor ask us if we drove without seat belts, texted while driving, and if we had guns in the home. When I asked her what business it was of hears, she got real "god like" about her responsibility to look out for the safety of her patients. But the same office can't update lab results on line, even though they insist that is the only way they will release results. Weeks and a half later, same drs office can't find medical records or requests for additional biopsy. And those are tests that the doctor was adamant about because of previous cancer history. Over the phone, staff complains about being new and over worked. Maybe if they weren't running a spa with the same staff, they might think that their patients were a little more important.

Luckily, we maintain a good relationship with the GP and were able to get an urgent referral through and dump this quack.

I know it's been asked of adults but now pre-teens?

Don't know too much I wasn't there but she was given a questionnaire she said.
Depression/ suicide type questions, personal stuff (assuming sexual in nature) and then Firearms in the home?!

Good on her, her instinct was to lie at first. She did in fact lie about feeling sad at times as she feels being sad on occasions is normal. So do I btw. Angry, sad, anxious etc., we're not robots. Depression is another thing I know but the lines are being blurred nowadays.

She ended up ratting me out on the guns though lol! I'm not so worried yet having a red flag as a gun family in her files but I don't like the trend.

These anti gun people are obsessed and are relentless! Oh no! A statement like that makes me sound paranoid. Better not let the Doc know what I really think!

GET A DIFFERENT Dr. Fire the Dr.

Dunno if anyone noticed this in the OP, but my take on it is if Obamacare wants to collect data on gun ownership and "mental" problems that is more likely to mean that your kid goes on the list as well as you. Your child could show up on NICS as a mental defective like the veterans that we have read about who went in for help from PTSD.
Also, what is the great victory that the anti-gunners seek nowadays? Complete registration of ALL guns, including the umpteen millions out there that weren't bought thru NICS.
Just sayin'.
I think collecting local data on guns is just the tip of the iceberg with ideologs of a certain stripe.
They embrace the whole "It takes a village" notion when it comes to kids and a whole lot more.
Guns just don't fit in with the collective mentality.

GET A DIFFERENT Dr. Fire the Dr.
It's coincidentally her last wellness visit with this particular Doc. If all goes as planned we will be moving to TN by June.

Funny, my wife told the Doc we are planning to move to TN. and she excitedly said Nashville!

When she was told we are looking at a place considerably more rural she warned the wife, " you know it's gonna be a lot more conservative out there."

My wife then told her that I'm a big Conservative which I'm not really. Around rural TN I'll probably be labeled a Lib if speak my mind on some hot button topics I have opinions on.

Download
"What to Do When Your Doctor Asks About Guns"
HERE:
<broken link removed>

Though Im a member of DRGO those recommendations are a bit aggressive.

Complaining to an insurance company about your doctor asking about guns is most likely going to go no where. The only goal of an insurance company is to make more money. Getting involved in something like this does nothing to make them more money. I've complained to every insurance company in Oregon about one thing or another, none of them care.

The state board ( http://www.oregon.gov/OMB/Pages/index.aspx ) does take complaints a lot more seriously and it is certainly stressful to get a subpoena from them about a complaint.

But, unless you doc is being really inappropriate about the questioning, they are going to side with the doctor. And if a patient of mine complains to the board for a minor issue like having an optional question on a form, I wont be seeing them again. So it is just easier to change docs.

to be honest, none of us care about Yelp.com, Healthgrades.com, Vitals.com, and RateMDs. They are massively biased, they often use medicare billing data from years ago to assess "quality" they are a garbage way of assessing a doctor.

So I recommend the following. Do step one on this list

"Politely refuse to answer the doctor's question or the health plan's questionnaire item about guns. You can either explain your discomfort with the question or decline to give a reason."

If that does not work, find another doc. If they are really inappropriate about it, file a complaint with the board of medicine.

Just like it is not worth pissing off the people that cook your food, it is not worth staying with a doctor where you have a conflicting relationship. Having a good report and a comfortable relationship with your doctor is really the best way to get good care. If you threaten to sue or report your doctor every visit, I guaranty that doctor is not focusing all their energy on figuring out your medical problem.

just tell yourself and your family to answer "no" and move on.
I think you're missing the point here. Any professional that uses their services to push their political agenda onto their customers, is misusing their position. In the case of a physician, it is even more egregious.

I agree with Bolus on this one. Best to just walk away if you can. But not everyone has the luxury of waiting 2-4 months to get in to another doctor. Especially if it's taken several months to get to a certain point.

I think you're missing the point here. Any professional that uses their services to push their political agenda onto their customers, is misusing their position. In the case of a physician, it is even more egregious.

I agree with Bolus on this one. Best to just walk away if you can. But not everyone has the luxury of waiting 2-4 months to get in to another doctor. Especially if it's taken several months to get to a certain point.

not missing the point, in fact I agree.
what matters is your getting quality care, not if the doctor is pro gun or not. Answer no, and focus on why your there.

I'm on the far side of being a kid but whenever I see questions about guns on intake forms I either leave them blank or write 'NOYB' & let the staff or Doc figure out what it means. Furthermore, I wear a gun to my PCP's office & they don't have a problem with it. I have an upcoming test that will be done in a hospital so I called & asked about their carry policy. They said "no guns allowed" but if I informed the front desk I was carrying Security would be happy to lock it up for me while I was there. Apparently, not an uncommon occurrence.

I was having problems with insomnia for months so I was referred to a sleep Doc by my PCP. The sleep Dr. referred me to two other places, one to have a pulmonary lung function test and also to a Psychologist. The lung function test is coming up but I refused to make an appointment with the Psychologist. My sister is a Dr. (Clinical Psychologist) and I told her I refused because I don't want any psych Dr. poking their nose in re: my guns. She said in OR a Dr. who reports any info to the cops about "well, this patient might be a problem" can be sued and WILL lose their license. There are extremely strict restrictions regarding breaking Dr. / patient privilege and the patient must display an immediate threat to self-harm or exhibit blatant indicators they'll harm others. She graduated with high honors from George Fox Univ. & said the topic was really drummed into the students. If a patient makes a complaint against a Dr. for violating privilege, whether or not it actually happened the Dr. is examined with extreme scrutiny by the State & will lose their license if they broke the rules. We've all read stories about law abiding citizens having their guns stolen by the cops because a Dr. claimed something bad 'might' happen. In OR, the Dr. had better be very sure before they contact LE because their career is in jeopardy if they make a bad decision.

I'm on the far side of being a kid but whenever I see questions about guns on intake forms I either leave them blank or write 'NOYB' & let the staff or Doc figure out what it means. Furthermore, I wear a gun to my PCP's office & they don't have a problem with it. I have an upcoming test that will be done in a hospital so I called & asked about their carry policy. They said "no guns allowed" but if I informed the front desk I was carrying Security would be happy to lock it up for me while I was there. Apparently, not an uncommon occurrence.

I was having problems with insomnia for months so I was referred to a sleep Doc by my PCP. The sleep Dr. referred me to two other places, one to have a pulmonary lung function test and also to a Psychologist. The lung function test is coming up but I refused to make an appointment with the Psychologist. My sister is a Dr. (Clinical Psychologist) and I told her I refused because I don't want any psych Dr. poking their nose in re: my guns. She said in OR a Dr. who reports any info to the cops about "well, this patient might be a problem" can be sued and WILL lose their license. There are extremely strict restrictions regarding breaking Dr. / patient privilege and the patient must display an immediate threat to self-harm or exhibit blatant indicators they'll harm others. She graduated with high honors from George Fox Univ. & said the topic was really drummed into the students. If a patient makes a complaint against a Dr. for violating privilege, whether or not it actually happened the Dr. is examined with extreme scrutiny by the State & will lose their license if they broke the rules. We've all read stories about law abiding citizens having their guns stolen by the cops because a Dr. claimed something bad 'might' happen. In OR, the Dr. had better be very sure before they contact LE because their career is in jeopardy if they make a bad decision.

true, plus the actions of the board are public for everyone to see. It does not do your practice good to be have the rest of your patients know you broke confidentiality (or traded sex for pain meds)
http://www.oregon.gov/omb/board/Pages/Board-Actions.aspx

Also, its not illegal to lie to your doctor. Like the patient I saw recently whacked out on meth who swore he was not using drugs. Luckily I had a bad feeling about him and sent him into the hospital. He was in kidney failure and nearly died from a meth overdose. He was not reported to the police. He did get a bit of a lecture when he came back to see me because lying to me almost got him killed

It is pretty sad where things appear to be going. I saw a couple of weeks ago it was reported that the FBI is asking Public School officials report any students that are or make any anti government statements... I am so glad I had the financial ability to send our daughter to private schools. This type of stuff makes me angry.... Oops I better be careful with what I say there may be a doctor nearby....

only warp 9 since this president got into office

true, but can the healthcare provider drop coverage.... what about those that have no choice to get healthcare thru the ACA? ...since thats a federal form!

You are mostly limited if you have Medicaid. Since it pays so little there are not a lot of docs who take it.

If I fired all of the patients that lied to me I'd have no patients.

"How many beers do you drink per day?"
"uh two"
"then why is your liver toast?"
"uh, ok, 18 beers a day"

"how is your diet? your blood sugar is very high"
"oh, its very good, I have no idea why it is high"
"why then did I see you driving your scooter down the road with an ice cream cone in both hands last night?"

I dont tolerate lying about opiates though. If you get pain meds from me and you are scamming me or getting pain meds from other docs at the same time, I have zero tolerance for that.

If I fired all of the patients that lied to me I'd have no patients.

"How many beers do you drink per day?"
"uh two"
"then why is your liver toast?"
"uh, ok, 18 beers a day"
lol,

whats funny is I just filled out my providers "healthcare assesment" questionair... I answered honestly about drinks, I generally have a glass, sometimes 2, of beer or wine with dinner. last year, it told me I was practically an alcoholic. I can see why some people would lie about that one...

This year it said I was "within the reccommended guidlines".
they must have updated their standards...

lol,

whats funny is I just filled out my providers "healthcare assesment" questionair... I answered honestly about drinks, I generally have a glass, sometimes 2, of beer or wine with dinner. last year, it told me I was practically an alcoholic. I can see why some people would lie about that one...

This year it said I was "within the reccommended guidlines".
they must have updated their standards...

my rule is what ever number of beers they tell me they are drinking, I multiple by 7.
1-2 is usually ok depending on what other nasty things one does to their liver.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top