JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
When in for a checkup the other day and the doctor asks how much I drink. It occurred to me that I usually, but not always have a beer or glass of wine every evening. Had to chuckle when I remembered that, at one time, I was proud of the fact that I had cut down to a six pack a day. But that was in the early 80's when being rude crud and socially unacceptable were considered positive attributes. :D

These questionnaires seem a bit dangerous to me anyway.

Are you often sad?
Have you thought of suicide?
Is there a gun in your home?
Would a suicidal teen/ pre-teen really answer those depression symptom questions truthfully?

Doesn't asking about the gun put the idea in the head of a teen who is really depressed?

Seems like the questions should be a bit more sneaky and not mention methods of suicide.
Something like,
What activities do you enjoy doing with your friends? Describe what your goals are for the next two years, after High School?

Depending on the answers perhaps a talk with the Parents is in order.

I dont tolerate lying about opiates though. If you get pain meds from me and you are scamming me or getting pain meds from other docs at the same time, I have zero tolerance for that.
I hate the people that do that as they have made it very hard on people like me that have been in chronic pain most of my life. I take pain meds every day (every 4 hours) I am sick of them and they are cutting my life short im sure but without them I am in so much pain I cant get out of bed. I hate to see the news about new regulations of opiates because I know that my Dr is going to give me problems.

I am new up here and went to see a Dr a couple weeks ago, I brought 15 years of Dr history with me (I lost the previous 30 years) and when I mentioned severe Fibromyalgia the Dr latched on that and said they dont give pain meds for Fibro. I said I agree with that but my meds are for my legs, back, neck and migraines. The Dr said that she didnt see anything in my records that support that.. ?????? It was on the first page and just about every page after.

Sorry for the rant, I hate pain and I hate taking pills but they are a necessary evil for me.

edit: when my kids were young and I heard of this Dr asking kids about guns at home. I told them all to answer NOYFB, if the Dr asked what that was, they would direct him to call me and ask.

Wow! That really makes me mad! We have a duty to be critical of our government! Spying on kids, jeeze!
Yeah Really! You spy on me. NOW you want to spy on my kids! WTF! Either the government is really snoopy of has no life, or maybe is bored. Somebody needs to give the something to do. Kim Jong Un now is your time to shine!!!

No lecture about storage. Probably the info is now on file. The form also asked if she had a sexual preference. So now they know she is not lesbian and we have guns.

My guess is if she gets diagnosed with depression in the future then we get the lecture.
I have a cousin who has a very avid hunting family with 100+ rifles (kind of overkill) and at the doctors they asked how many guns their immediate family had. I can't remember the exact number but it was some 150 guns and holy s*** the nurses eyes were MASSIVE.:s0095:

I think after the get all the guns rounded up or outlawed they go for the silverware. No, really. I have read that in the UK they have restrictions on buying kitchen knives......o_O
Oh that is just sad. Hi guys! go buy a high powered rifle and we won't restrict you! A kitchen knife, oh sorry... i will need to be dull and no longer than 5 inches.

"It's for the children ya know...we must protect the children!"

Except it's not. Why is it only guns that get asked about? There are roughly 100K gun related injuries a year. Do you know what else injures 100K people per year? Trampolines. How come the doctors don't ask about trampolines? Or knives? How about child safety seats for vehicles?

I think after the get all the guns rounded up or outlawed they go for the silverware. No, really. I have read that in the UK they have restrictions on buying kitchen knives......o_O

Yup, 18 years and under who look like trouble would probably get the sale of a pointy knife refused.
628x471.jpg

I mean, if YOU were a store clerk, would YOU sell this guy a large, sharp pointy item of any kind?

Let's have some rationality here, guys.

However, over here no doc would ask a child if his/her mom/dad had guns, on account that here we don't let children get 'interviewed' by anybody without their parent or adult relative being present.

I have read that in the US of A you mostly can't buy booze under 21.......:eek: x10

tac

Last Edited:
Oh that is just sad. Hi guys! go buy a high powered rifle and we won't restrict you! A kitchen knife, oh sorry... i will need to be dull and no longer than 5 inches.

Sir - Hogwash. Of course the high-powered rifle is restricted, just like in every civilised country except the USA [RKBA and all that, remember?]. AND it needs a license, hence the restriction.

Here's my most favouritistest of nineteen rifles and handguns in my possessment -

upload_2016-4-6_14-46-48.png

But no knife needs any kind of licence. Not even a machete. Ever heard of the British knife-makers' and Collectors' Guild?

tac

Since YOU guys brought up the subject - not me, although I carry a Leatherman every day of my life except when dressed up [ie. 99.99999999% of the time] - here is the UK Gubmint skinny of knives. Please let me know if you want this in either of the other two official languages in use in the yK.
Buying and carrying knives: the law

The laws about buying and carrying a knife depend on the type of knife, your age and your circumstances.

Basic laws on knives
It is illegal to:

• sell a knife to anyone under 18 (16 to 18 year olds in Scotland can buy cutlery and kitchen knives) unless it's a knife with a folding blade 3 inches long (7.62 cm) or less, eg a Swiss Army knife
  • carry a knife in public without good reason - unless it's a knife with a folding blade 3 inches long (7.62 cm) or less
  • carry, buy or sell any type of banned knife
  • use any knife in a threatening way (even a legal knife, such as a Swiss Army knife)
Lock knives (knives with blades that can be locked when unfolded) are not folding knives, and are illegal to carry in public without good reason.

The maximum penalty for an adult carrying a knife is 4 years in prison and a fine of £5,000.

Good reasons for carrying a knife
Examples of good reasons to carry a knife in public can include:

• taking knives you use at work to and from work
  • taking knives to a gallery or museum to be exhibited
  • the knife is going to be used for theatre, film, television, historical reenactment or religious purposes, eg the kirpan some Sikhs carry
A court will decide if you've got a good reason to carry a knife if you're charged with carrying it illegally.

Banned knives
There is a ban on the sale of some knives:

• flick knives (also called 'switchblades' or 'automatic knives') - where the blade is hidden inside the handle and shoots out when a button is pressed
  • butterfly knives - where the blade is hidden inside a handle that splits in two around it, like wings; the handles swing around the blade to open or close it
  • disguised knives, eg where the blade is hidden inside a belt buckle or fake mobile phone
  • gravity knives
  • sword-sticks
  • samurai swords (with some exceptions, including antiques and swords made to traditional methods before 1954)
  • hand or foot-claws
  • push daggers
  • hollow kubotan (cylinder-shaped keychain) holding spikes
  • shuriken (also known as 'death stars' or 'throwing stars')
  • kusari-gama (sickle attached to a rope, cord or wire)
  • kyoketsu-shoge (hook-knife attached to a rope, cord or wire)
  • kusari (weight attached to a rope, cord or wire)
This is not a complete list of banned knives. Contact your local police to check if a knife is illegal.

Last updated: 13 January 2016

tac

I wish that Dr's were as concerned with ritalin and all the other bubblegume they give to kids these days as they were about firearms in the home.

Im equally concerned with the number of parents that come in and demand ritalin for their undisciplined kid that does not have ADHD. Who then leave a poor satisfaction score which lowers the physician's pay when they dont get the medications.

You can simply ASK for ritalin? For another person?

Wow!

Unthinkable here in backward ol' Yoorup. Seems we have a lot to learn from you, eh?

tac

No its more like the typical American who knows everything from their 5 minutes on webMD and has diagnosed their kid with ADD since they give them sugar all day and let them play video games for hours and are upset that they are screaming and yelling in the grocery store.

Since they are never wrong they go to the doc and demand ritalin for their out of control kid. When you get to that level of entitlement and the "customer is never wrong" and "someone else is always the cause of the problem" mentality in the US you get a prescription drug problem.

And docs contribute to that as well. Some are pushed by drug companies. Others its because you have 10 minutes with a patient that is entitled and angry you cant spend the time educating them so you just write a prescription because you are burnt out and dont care anymore. Plus you dont want them to write you a bad satisfaction score that lowers your pay when you are 20 years out of medical school and still have $60 grand in loans to pay off.

Thats a pretty big component to how we got to the number one country in the world of prescription controlled drug use

Thanks for the explication. What's this 'bad satisfaction score' thang?

tac

Many doctors are now paid partly by patient satisfaction in the US. My pay is based on it. Although it was sold as a way to improve quality (studies show that it does the opposite, it lowers quality) it is really a way to reduce doctor pay.

http://www.pressganey.com/

Before, Medicare paid all doctors the same. Now unless your satisfaction score is 100% you get paid less.

Having the patient determine if they are getting good quality of care is terrible.

Patients want antibiotics for their colds, they want opiate pain meds for sore throats and they want a drug to treat their brat kids. When you say "no" to them, they give you a bad score.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top