JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Better just to clean from the chamber if your weapon allows that, or use rubber coated Dewey rods or a bore snake. Bad thing about the snake for the field is it can't drive out a stuck case

I've used aluminum rods for years and haven't worn out a barrel yet.:s0131:

Just wipe them off every time you pull them through.:s0155:

Screw-on Plastic bottles, Rubber Gloves and Teflon rod guides...Give Me A Break!!!:s0112::s0112:

That crap just makes Larry Potterfield richer...:s0113:

Jack...:cool:

While I tend to do boresnakes these days, if I'm using a rod I do like using something to protect chamber and ramp. Especially with any of the higher end or more expensive long range rifles.

I've used aluminum rods for years and haven't worn out a barrel yet.:s0131:

Just wipe them off every time you pull them through.:s0155:

Screw-on Plastic bottles, Rubber Gloves and Teflon rod guides...Give Me A Break!!!:s0112::s0112:

That crap just makes Larry Potterfield richer...:s0113:

The only problem with aluminum rods is they are very poor for driving out a stuck case.. this is why mliltary rods are steel

Sorry don't mean to Hi Jack the Ops thread.;)

Never had a case stick in the chamber.:s0131:
I use "S" dies and every round I reload goes through a chamber die.:s0155:

It happens.. not having one along stopped cold our forest test run of my gal's new AR15 build.. turned out to be a bad barrel. In the field in a "scenario" you basically have a club

I used a bore guide in the chamber when I had a scoped bolt-action rifle (30-06). I shot a lot of soft points and they fouled the bore pretty good... That was a precision rifle. For chrome lined bores in my sporting rifles I just use a bore snake & CLP, as I only shoot FMJ out of those.

I use a bore guide. I have two Lucas bore guides with the inserts and they work great. I also have 3 Sinclair bore guides and they have more slop where the rod enters the guide, but can't say the Lucas guides are that much better. I have 5 guides because a good one is custom fitted to the dimensions of your chamber.

If you are not using a guide you are doing damage to your barrel each time you clean with a rod. You may never notice it though if the rifle is not all that accurate, meaning capable of shooting in the 1/2 inch range or smaller. Cleaning from the muzzle is the worst thing you can do by the way. That is a sure way to damage the crown, and if the crown is screwed up, you will never get really good groups.

For those of you that only use a bore snake, you should try this. Clean with a bore snake how you normally do. Then clean it the proper way with a guide, good rod, tight fitting patches and a quality bronze brush. You won't believe how much crap the bore snakes leave behind. Does it really matter? It does in an accurate rifle, but again if the gun isn't capable of small groups to begin with, a proper cleaning isn't going to fix it.

I also use rubber gloves. If I don't my fingers tingle for hours afterwards. Any solvent capable of removing carbon and copper is going to be strong enough you don't want that stuff on your hands.

Not many people are crazy enough to own an $1,800 rifle with a $350 scope. But I have one. My hobby is trying to make the most accurate rounds I can for this setup. Do I use a bore guide? Hell yes, if it might help protect this gear I don't mind the few dollars extra.

Lucas bore guide, Tipton rod.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top