JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Random question so bare with me... Im getting mixed results from people when i mention taking our 2yo dog w/ us when we go shooting. He has never gone with before so im not really sure how dogs react to the gun shot noise. Does it bother them/ too loud? or do some of you take them with you and they dont mind it?

Just want to get some feedback on this so i know if i should leave him at home when we go out. For what its worth we are only shooting a 9mm and a .22 pistol tomorrow.. so no big/loud guns.

As a rule most dogs are fearful of gun shots, most would try to accustom there dogs to the sound of gunfire before taking them shooting/hunting.

Stuff like firecrackers when they are eating, so as to make them feel when a loud boom occurs they get rewarded.

My dog hunts and tolerates the shotgun while hunting, but does not like to go target shooting, I take him anyway.

I had a Lab (well still do, in memory) and he would go stark raving nuts whenever he saw me grab a gun. He would go run around the pickup going crazy and once jumped up on the hood as he was so excited. He was great at sniffing out and flushing rabbits but I could never get him to retrieve them. Once I set him down and stuck a cottontail in his mouth to try to train him but he just stood there and gave me a stupid look as if to say, "I only find them, I do not retrieve them". Bottom line is he loved gunfire and would take off through the brush as soon as we got out. Gunfire, regardless of caliber, never bothered him.

Dang! Sounds like everyone's dog is different! Debating if i should just take him tomorrow and if for some reason he doesnt like it then i can move the car down the road or something so its not as loud.. he is a 2yo American Eskimo that has never experienced it haha. He doesnt mind fireworks though..

I have a female yellow lab who is now 12yrs old and in her day a fantastic retriever. Shotgun report is no problem with her...

However she is not fond at all of rifle fire, and hates the .22.

Just an FYI the .22 is extremly hard on their ears in the sound levels they hear in, and is also one of the more damageing ones to human ears.

I think if the dog don't mind fireworks then most gun shots will be okay. Just try not to have the ear splitting bangs near your dogs that can affect the dogs hearing. The last time we took my buddy's dog out she was okay until the first shot of one of the 44's. It took a week for her to hear the dog snack bag from the other side of the house. Start small and work your way up to the bigger guns or find a inside range and park out side with your dog.

If it's an outdoor range, I would recommend taking him when you don't plan on shooting. As you drive up, hopefully other people are shooting and you can guage the reaction to the noise. If he doesn't mind, then open the windows. Then put him on a leash and walk him up toward the firing line.

I would have a concern about hearing loss for a sustained shooting session if a number of shooters are present. I don't believe most hunting dogs aren't exposed to a lot of shots.

elsie

If you ask me, people are way too inclusive with their dogs. People know you're sensitive about your dog, so they won't say it... but people HATE it when you bring your mutt to the range/jobsite/camp/climb/beach/whatever. Great way to put a dark cloud over your bro when you roll up for the big trip and Fido is sitting shotgun.

Unless you're training it for something specific or hunting... Leave the dog at home!

If you ask me, people are way too inclusive with their dogs. People know you're sensitive about your dog, so they won't say it... but people HATE it when you bring your mutt to the range/jobsite/camp/climb/beach/whatever. Great way to put a dark cloud over your bro when you roll up for the big trip and Fido is sitting shotgun.

Unless you're training it for something specific or hunting... Leave the dog at home!

I agree entirely.

My Lab/Golden mix loves to go shooting. The problem we have is that she is always running down range and getting in the line of fire and I worry about her pads with all the crap around. She usually ends up back in the truck. FWIW she also likes to watch fireworks.

If it was a range I would deff keep him at home. But this is only myself going to a remote area in forest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

but people HATE it when you bring your mutt to the range/jobsite/camp/climb/beach/whatever.
Or to your place of business. I cannot believe how many people bring their dogs into our showroom - and some off-leash. I realize we are an 'outdoor' oriented business with the appropriate decor, including an inside river with a breeding population of Koi but the inconsideration and arrogance of these people really frosts me. I have had dogs come wandering into my office and start barking at me.

Lol u guys r makin me look bad now! I was strictly referring to the woods haha! I don't inconvenience people with my animals. I agree it is rude

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So true! I love dogs, but they don't belong in some places...

We have a dog. The kids wanted a dog, said they'd take care of it, etc. I always told them "no dog" because I refuse to be responsible for walking/feeding it. I finally told them if mom is willing to take care of it, they could get a dog. So, now my wife has a dog because my son moved out to college and the dog doesn't much care for my daughter. My point is, I wouldn't dare take the dog shooting, because I'd be too temped to shoot AT the little turd. "Sorry honey, but the dog ran away".

NOPE, fireworks, thunder, or gunshots and he turns into a quivering mess. just the sight of a gun will send him scurrying for cover.
Same for our dog. HATES fireworks and will leave the room when I get out a gun.

I take my dog with me, but I keep her at a distance. I like to keep her in the car if it's not too hot.
I started out at a young age... roughly 8 weeks. I wanted her to get accustomed to sound so that when the 4th rolled around, I wouldnt have to worry about her freaking out.
Glad to report, it worked!

Hearing loss is a big concern, and she wont let me put ear muffs on her.
Dogs ears are more sensitive than humans. I wouldnt let someone without hearing protection close to me while i'm shooting, I feel the same about my dog.

I know a few people that have trained their dog to be at their side while shooting. They are usually the same people who complain about their dogs hearing loss at age ~6

All in all my dog gets very excited when I get a gun out. At night i'll take the slide off a pistol, attach my tlr-2 laser/light combo, and let her chase the laser around.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top