JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My rot mix (supposedly lab) loved to hunt.She would be nuts in the truck when I was shooting.Couldn't let her out since she would go down range looking for whatever I was a killin'
My lab/GSH mix was,is gun shy.Great prey drive but please don't shoot or leave the truck open for me to hide kinda girl.
Then I went grouse hunting.Shot a grouse and the big dog went nuts,so the little girl stopped being skeered and went after the grouse and she's the one who found it!
So this went on a couple more times,even when I just stopped to shoot the 22,they would bust out of the truck and hunt for sumpton'

Big girl got old and I put here down,so it was either leave the little dog home alone or take her shooting.
She used to try to dig down in the back seat.Now she sits right on the front seat and goes to sleep.Now if someone else is around shooting,she doesn't like that.Maybe she's read some of the horror stories on here?

So my vote would be to take the dog and keep the window up ,maybe just cracked if hot.Then stay aways away at first and the dog will get used to the noise.

Remember dogs hearing is WAY more sensitive that ours,so unless you are hunting,you really don't want to expose the dog to much gun fire.Think of having the muzzle a foot away from your ear.

So my buddy always took his dog.Said Benny would hate him if he left him home.
We leave Benny out.He's running around.I'm shooting. I back away from the scope to find that I have been shooting ,maybe a foot above the dogs head.The wiz of the bullet must have been deafening.
Beny gets locked in the truck with my dog now.

Getting your dog used to gunshots so it will not be fearful is a good thing, but it must be done safely. Keep the dog behind and a ways away. Dogs have extremely sensitive hearing, which *will* be damaged by a muzzle report too close to them. It is the high frequency noise that does the damage. For this reason, shotguns and lower-velocity handgun calibers are far less damaging than high-velocity rifle reports. Remember, your dog needs hearing protection even more than you do, so keep that in mind when shooting anywhere near a dog or other animal with sensitive hearing.

Thanks everyone for info... We tried to go up to the pit on camp five rd (Salmonberry) and the pup hated it! Had to drop him back home and then back up there to shoot!
Poor guy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews