JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I simply said my opinion. I am sorry that it is not what you wanted to hear.

I was not name calling, I was merely just saying that i think it's idiotic or certifiably stupid to hunt in bear country without some sort of bear-grade defense.
Lol, that's like saying "no offense" and proceeding to be a donkey.

I carry a sidearm sometimes while hunting, but agree with many who have said it is more for the two-legged than four-legged.

I've always found it humerous how many manly men are soooo scared of black bears and cougars. Yes, it would not be good if one jumped on your back, but its not likely, and its not likley you'll have much warning when it does.

That said if you feel safer doing so, do so.

I will say though, ghat openly carrying in KMart or in Safeway is kind of lame in my opinion. Oops off topic

WTF is defensive heat?
1711510544600.png

:)

Bruce

Does a bear $hit in the woods?
Bear bubblegumting in the woods.JPG
What are the stats on cougars and black bears attacking people in the NW? Very few maybe….
I don't know the stats. I'm sure they are low. Most of the time the critter wants less to do with us than the other way around.
But in the attack that I mentioned earlier in this thread, the two men were charged and attacked by a cougar after they saw it and tried to make themselves "large" by raising their hands and yelling. One even had time to throw his pack at it.
Personally, I'd rather be able to throw lead over a backpack.

View attachment 1851872

I don't know the stats. I'm sure they are low. Most of the time the critter wants less to do with us than the other way around.
But in the attack that I mentioned earlier in this thread, the two men were charged and attacked by a cougar after they saw it and tried to make themselves "large" by raising their hands and yelling. One even had time to throw his pack at it.
Personally, I'd rather be able to throw lead over a backpack.
Photo is of bear, but what he is doing is unclear....... still no proof!

I always carry, walking around the house, taking out the trash, mowing the lawn, etc... why would I not carry out in the woods?
I am only carrying my rifle while actually hunting. Cooking, camping, sleeping, gathering wood, etc... require both hands free. My holstered pistol does not .
50 years ago I could get a mile or so from a road and not see any people, Here in CA that is no longer a reality. DR

You better believe I do! & I hunt on my property exclusively. I hunt with primitive weapons and am in the woods in early September. Here in the northern mountains of NC there are alot of coyotes, bears, and racoons. The bear swing wide of me however the coyotes and raccoons are curious and sometimes rabid. I have been accosted by both species while they were rabid. One episode it was 3 coons attacking each other then chase me aways then back to each other. Yes I could have shot 1 but the crossbow doesn't lend itself to reloading on the run. I have also walked up on a sleeping wolf. I had no idea that he was there. Good thing he had a way out. Bobcat get rabies also and mine get big. The male has balls the size of kiwi fruits. Puurrrty Kitty! Yes I do carry and large caliber. Justifiably so. Besides, it's my property. No license required.

I do. It's most often my 4" GP100 in .357 Magnum. Other people in the woods give me very bad vibes and admittedly it's for them, not for cougars.
Likewise. My concealed hunting carry is a small .38 Smith, and it isnt for panthers:eek:. Sometimes I have carried a lightweight former Hungarian surplus .32acp. Truly, being without a pistol (out of doors) now is against my religion:s0010:....

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR