JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I carry a sidearm when hunting (I don't hunt anymore though) - usually a .22 rimfire to admin a coup de grâce if necessary or to take a rabbit or for rescue signaling.

Cougar attacks are rare and despite the fact that they are on my property and in my area, I have never seen a cougar or bear in the wild.

No when rifle hunting. Yes, when bow hunting. Yes, now, when hiking, unless it's a busy trail like Dog Mtn or Rainer. No when fishing, even though that's when I seem to find bears, never during Bear season…

I've only come across someone sketchy twice while hunting, although both of those encounters were in more recent times and hunting the Oregon NW Coast. Most of the time I don't see anyone while hunting. Hiking is different. I live a half mile from a Washington DNR tract (over 33,000 acres) and border 200 acres of logging tracts. Encounters in the DNR are few but they are getting uncomfortable enough that my wife now checks to make sure I'm carrying. There and Portland…my new default…

It used to be unlawful to possess a handgun while hunting in rifle or bow season or without a handgun hunting license. Might be still. ODFW and the legislature changes rules and laws for hunting and fishing as if rules and laws should be founded in mere whimsy. I'd sure read up on that before deciding.

It used to be unlawful to possess a handgun while hunting in rifle or bow season or without a handgun hunting license. Might be still. ODFW and the legislature changes rules and laws for hunting and fishing as if rules and laws should be founded in mere whimsy. I'd sure read up on that before deciding.
During archery season, yes - but I don't recall it being illegal during rifle season - although, by '86 I had moved to the Seattle area and after ~2000 more or less gave up hunting due to my back injury making it painful to walk up & down hills (later, painful to walk at all).

Does hunting for Chantrell mushrooms count? This is probably 40 years ago; I was maybe 13 or 14 at the time. My Dad and I we're out gathering some chantrells in a spot we'd had success before. This time we ran into two creepy crawlers that met us deep in the woods in east Pierce County, WA. They asked what we were doing out there. My Dad thinking we'd maybe been on their property asked them if they owned the land and we were just looking for chantrells. They said they didn't own the land and we didn't need to go in this direction, and they pointed the direction we didn't need to go in.

We thought it odd, my dad with me in tow didn't want any trouble and told them we'd found enough and were headed out. They watched us as we made it out of the area. On the way home my dad he felt something was off and it was better to leave.

About 2 months later my dad told me about a grow operation that had been found by Pierce County Deputies and he told me it was where we were picking mushrooms.

From then on, my dad always carried a pistol when we went in the woods...so I do too.

I've only hunted pheasants release recently so its too crowded for anything to happen. Plus, its surrounded by suburban areas so the only cougars wear heavy makeup and perfume. Dangerous but not life threatening.

But last year I went mushroom hunting and the area was like one big homeless camp. I did carry a handgun, glad I did.

No I do not.
I would use whatever firearm I am hunting with for defensive purposes.

With that said....
To be honest here...I also don't worry / wonder / consider 'bout it either.
Andy
I mean... if you hunt on the coastal mountain range, or west of the cascade range, I'd say your statement is silly but probably not idiotic. There's cougars and small bear out there but in small numbers and statistically you'd probably be fine. I'd still think you have some screws loose not having a secondary.

If you hunt in the cascade range or God forbid east of the cascade range, and you don't have a secondary for bear / cougar / everything else out there that's stronger than you and better at hunting than you, then I'd say you're an idiot.

My family has been hunting Wyoming Montana and Eastern WA / OR for the last 3 generations and even the family members that bow hunt are packing serious heat and spray to defend against bear/cougar/wildcat etc.

East of cascade range, hunting with no secondary, is certifiably stupid. You don't have to trust what I'm saying, just look up the stats. Every year defenseless unprepared ppl are killed every year by wildlife.

Just my 2 cents.

I mean... if you hunt on the coastal mountain range, or west of the cascade range, I'd say your statement is silly but probably not idiotic. There's cougars and small bear out there but in small numbers and statistically you'd probably be fine. I'd still think you have some screws loose not having a secondary.

If you hunt in the cascade range or God forbid east of the cascade range, and you don't have a secondary for bear / cougar / everything else out there that's stronger than you and better at hunting than you, then I'd say you're an idiot.

My family has been hunting Wyoming Montana and Eastern WA / OR for the last 3 generations and even the family members that bow hunt are packing serious heat and spray to defend against bear/cougar/wildcat etc.

East of cascade range, hunting with no secondary, is certifiably stupid. You don't have to trust what I'm saying, just look up the stats. Every year defenseless unprepared ppl are killed every year by wildlife.

Just my 2 cents.
I have hunted in those areas....as in East of the Cascade Range...as well as in Wyoming and Montana....
All without a side arm....I have encountered grizzly bear several times....

Yet here I am to tell the tale.

If you do carry a sidearm when you hunt...good you for...you ain't wrong for doing so....for you.
I'l will continue to rely on my hunting firearm if ...in the unlikely event I need a firearm for defense
I must doing something right , for me...since I am still here.

You are mistaken in calling me an idiot / stupid for not doing as you .
Don''t ever make that mistake again.
Andy

Last Edited:

Just my 2 cents.
I'd pack a lot of backup firepower too if I made a habit of pokin' the bear! LOL!

I have hunted in those areas....as in East of the Cascade Range...as well as in Wyoming and Montana....
All without a side arm....I have encountered grizzly bear several times....

Yet here I am to tell the tale.

If you do carry a sidearm when you hunt...good you for...you ain't wrong for doing so....for you.
I'l will continue to rely on my hunting firearm if ...in the unlikely event I need a firearm for defense
I must doing something right , for me...since I am still here.

You are mistaken in calling me an idiot / stupid for not doing as you .
Don''t ever make that mistake again.
Andy
You're always fine, until you aren't.

Heck, I've worked many hours in Portland and I haven't been beaten to death with a blunt object or stabbed. That doesn't mean I'm going to stop carrying while I'm over there.

Also, I'd never consider using a hunting rifle as defense for a grizzly bear that can close a distance of 20 yards in less than a second.

I am sorry my opinion is not jiving with yours. But hey, opinions are like a-holes we all have them and sometimes we think others smell worse than our own.

You're always fine, until you aren't.

Heck, I've worked many hours in Portland and I haven't been beaten to death with a blunt object or stabbed. That doesn't mean I'm going to stop carrying while I'm over there.

Also, I'd never consider using a hunting rifle as defense for a grizzly bear that can close a distance of 20 yards in less than a second.

I am sorry my opinion is not jiving with yours. But hey, opinions are like a-holes we all have them and sometimes we think others smell worse than our own.
It ain't your opinion or mine that is objectionable.

It is the calling someone , me in this case , stupid or an idiot for not doing something your way...or otherwise different than what works for them...that is indeed , objectionable.

Do as you want and what works for you.

Name calling / casting judgement over others who do differently ain't gonna win them over to your way of thinking.
Andy

It ain't your opinion or mine that is objectionable.

It is the calling someone , me in this case , stupid or an idiot for not doing something your way...or otherwise different than what works for them...that is indeed , objectionable.

Do as you want and what works for you.

Name calling / casting judgement over others who do differently ain't gonna win them over to your way of thinking.
Andy
I simply said my opinion. I am sorry that it is not what you wanted to hear.

I was not name calling, I was merely just saying that i think it's idiotic or certifiably stupid to hunt in bear country without some sort of bear-grade defense.

Key word, "used".
This used to be true, but was changed probably 15-20 years ago. As I remember, it only applied to archery season.
And I remember back far enough that I had to have a permit to hunt with a handgun during rifle season, cuz doing so was "special".

I didn't look up other states, but from https://www.dfw.state.or.us/resources/hunting/big_game/regulations/docs/firearm.pdf

DFW.png

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top