JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Beater, as compared to well used? I see a difference. I own well-used shooters, and I keep them maintained to always shoot. In the Army, we had beaters. We could NEVER depend on them.

WAYNO.

I don't know if I would call any of my "tools" beaters, but I do have several AR's that rotate between my Silverado and Suburban. They probably would be considered sub par in the sense they are not high dollar builds with expensive brand name parts and best of the best optics, but they are all hand built by me using parts I trust (no DPMS):p and I take care of them all equally well. I own a Colt HBAR that when purchased by me was unfired and in mint condition, that I consider to be a "safe queen" but other than that all of them get used for training and recreation.

I'm not sure if you are saying that your beater is reliable or not, or if you don't know if it is reliable at all.
If it's the latter, I'd shoot the PSA to test its reliability/accuracy and take the Colt as you're back up! Good luck! :)

I own several exspensive AR's I use in competition. The high end ones have
exspensive barrels, floated handguards and good triggers. With good ammo
they can do sub MOA groups. You want to do as well as you can at a match?
A sub MOA rifle will allow you to do your best. A rifle may be capable of sub
MOA but how well can you do? Slung into the rifle and shooting prone,
sitting or standing? The more accurate rifle with a good trigger will
eliminate one variable. You can focus on your position and what you are
doing right or wrong.
My beater complete uppers are less exspensive than just
the barrel of the exspensive competition upper. I use the cheap uppers for
shooting cheap ammo and as a loaner for plinking. :eek:
By all means both of your ARs you need to shoot in competition to
verify reliability and accuracy. But in my opinion the more accurate
rifle will be the better teacher.:D Allowing you to call your shots. Or
as we say being " On Call". :cool::cool::cool::cool:

Last Edited:
Run a couple hundred rounds through the PSA to ensure it's broken in and fully functional like you should with any AR. Take both to Appleseed and use either or both.

PSA is inexpensive not cheap. They supply most of the parts to FNH for their part of the M4 contract to the DoD. The "machine gun steel" barrels they sell are from FNH and start out as M249 blanks. If you buy the right upper, lower, and BCG you have a 6920 with a better barrel for less than $750. You will not, however, have the horsey roll mark that costs and extra $300 or so.

Colt DOES have far better customer support than PSA and you will get the Colt faster and it's STILL a great rile. Personally I'd buy the PSA and spend the rest on ammo.

First off, a confession: I like pretty guns. After years of insistance by @Kimber Custom, I'm finally taking him up on his offer to attend Project Appleseed event. The first question that came to my mind was which rifle I was going to use for the training. I've had a Colt 6920 for quite some time, and as expected it's been a fantastic rifle. Two weeks ago I decided to jump on one of the $400 PSA deals, so I'll have a significantly cheaper AR15 as well.

I don't know what the event consists of, but I fully expect any type of training to leave my pristine Colt a little banged up. However, it's also the rifle I'd grab if I ever needed it, so I think maybe it should be the one I train with. Alternatively, I could use the cheap PSA build and designate it as my 'beater gun'. Maybe the malfunctions would enhance the training? (half joking :s0114:)

What would you do?

I would not make the colt a in case of SHTF break glass gun how ever I would not want to beat up a pristine colt. I would reserve the colt for range target practice where you still use it but its not going to get beat up and use the PSA If its a twin you as a twin beater gun for training or sharing or burning cheaper steel cased ammo barrels are cheap and easy to replace, even spray paint it ( please don't spray paint the colt. and let it get that nice worn look as much as that new rifle look is appealing I really like that worn look on a rifle that says it has some history even if that history is just you enjoying training with it.

Another good thing about having a cheaper version of a higher end rifle is you worry less about it so its good for taking camping or when traveling with others that you know will want to stop at a restaurant and have to leave in a car .

Last Edited:
I can see having a nice hunting rifle with a walnut stock that you don't want to scratch, and that all you do with it, is oil it and fondle it. My Browning BLR in .358 Win fits that bill.

But come on guys, we are talking about AR-15s. They start out ugly. :D They are made to be used and abused. I say, train with the one you will use.

Colt does have a loyal following and as a result have a better resale value than most other AR's. If Joe plans to keep the rifle permanently then the cosmetic condition is a moot point, but if he plans to sell then it's best to keep it in as good a condition as possible.

I would not qualify as all my AR's are my friends ! I treat them all as valued members of my community..... Okay I am a little bit "AR Poor" but none are truly expensive. My Colt is my cheaper store bought AR. It is a commercial version with no dust cover or forward assist, nut it does have a Colt Match trigger 6#, but very smooth, consistent, a Match barrel, shoots great Maybe a beater to some, but I am not abusing it! I did make a Melonite pencil barreled upper into a light inexpensive AR for the wife at her request, it also has a good trigger (all my AR's except the Colt have aftermarket triggers)(Triggers and barrels are my priorities) Any way hers has the least expensive furniture. I have one with a Delton lower and Armalite upper with A2 style handguard that is probably the cheapest I have assembled for me, Still not a beater! I do not know if Optics to include Red Dots are allowed, but its my favorite for just Irons.
Hard to hurt a 6920

Oh and I have a PSA pistol length upper. They are solid uppers, I don't worry about reliability with them, I did contact their customer service about a blemish and asked if they had advertised it as a blemished item. They said no and I could return it for a unblemished one no problem. It was a small blemish and they owned up to it so I just kept what I have.

I shoot the "fancy"one all the time and the cheap ones are "back up" and mostly reside in the safe.

I don't see a point in buying all the best parts and optics ect if you don't use them as intended. The high dollar stuff usually is meant to be abused much more anyway.

Joe, I think you're looking at this the wrong way.

I have never bought a gun (or tool, vehicle, etc.) for the purpose of being a beater but often they all end up that way over time and milage.

You can look at any "character" mark on your weapons as hard earned and tied to a story. Whenever anybody asks me, "Where did that scratch come from" I can usually recall in vivid detail the experience. Too often it starts with "We were out shooting in the woods..." or some other tale and it's a great way to relive your past experiences with like minded folks.

Look at any marks as a snapshot in time and wear them with pride (and take both guns just to be safe).

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top