JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Everyone of my ARs is a beater. If it can't stand getting beat on, I get rid of it.

Not to say I abuse them nor neglect to clean them but I do push them occasionally. Same goes for the other EBR's I own.

Now my Marlin 45-70, it beats on me. So does my Mosin M44.

:)

Wow, I've been neglecting this thread - thanks for the replies!

I ended up taking the Colt as I didn't make it out to get my PSA lower. I haven't taken many classes, and I've heard rumors of all sorts of stuff (from simple disregard to cosmetics to "first instruction - throw your rifle on the ground"). Happy to say that Appleseed definitely wasn't one of 'those' types of courses, and the Colt is fine. I think I'll end up 'in the middle' and using it as it was intended (not babying it but not being careless either).

To my mind , being a copy of a military arm , any AR should be able to perform equally as well if it is "babied" or treated roughly.
Not saying one should abuse or neglect to care for their AR or any gun for that matter.
Just that a AR is a copy of a M16 and having jumped out of planes and helicopters with one , carried one in the jungle ,the desert and small dirty villages, it went bang when needed.
Your AR should be capable of the same "Beater" or not.

At one time I even owned a early, circa late 60's vintage Colt AR15.
( shocking to hear I know :) )
I found it to be well built and accurate.
If I still owned it , I would not hesitate to use it at a Appleseed event or any other rifle match.
'Course I've flirted with the idea of taking my Hawken rifle or one of my antique muzzleloaders to a Appleseed shoot so maybe I'm not the best one to answer this question ... LOL!
Andy

Last Edited:
I have a beater I put together with inexpensive yet quality parts. And then I spray painted it. And when the spray paint gets scratched off, I'll spray paint it again.

20161023_110000_zpswuz7kt1g.jpg

An AR that doesn't have nicks, gouges, and scratches from rough use is unloved. No AR should be forced to sit all day in a gun safe all pretty and prissy and forced to drink Appletinies. Don't force your AR to become a metroshootual. AR's want rotgut whiskey, lousy beer, and mud.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top