JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
First off, a confession: I like pretty guns. After years of insistance by @Kimber Custom, I'm finally taking him up on his offer to attend Project Appleseed event. The first question that came to my mind was which rifle I was going to use for the training. I've had a Colt 6920 for quite some time, and as expected it's been a fantastic rifle. Two weeks ago I decided to jump on one of the $400 PSA deals, so I'll have a significantly cheaper AR15 as well.

I don't know what the event consists of, but I fully expect any type of training to leave my pristine Colt a little banged up. However, it's also the rifle I'd grab if I ever needed it, so I think maybe it should be the one I train with. Alternatively, I could use the cheap PSA build and designate it as my 'beater gun'. Maybe the malfunctions would enhance the training? (half joking :s0114:)

What would you do?

Well, I have more than one beater AR. I actually have half a dozen of them in several calibers.

To me they are tools to be consumed.

I also have several that I carry around in cases that cost dang near as much as the beater guns and I treat them better than I do my kids. Plenty of folks would think that silly but I like them for different reasons and and they are trophy's and collectibles, not tools to be consumed.

The beater AR's are not junk, They are just not $3500 trophy's. They serve a different role.

To answer your question though I would take both. :D

*yeah i put one together for $380.built the lower for 180 and traded $200 worth of stuff for a complete upper... its funny to shoot it and then shoot my other one that i have $2600 into.

*pre dogsledding accident

I'd take the "beater". Afterall, they are going to both shoot pretty much the same and require the same muscle memory for training. I own several myself, and my home built one takes the abuse while my Windham is a safe queen. I don't own any truly "high-dollar" AR's but my Windham is special to me because it was a gift.

Is it bad that I consider most of my "usable" guns to be "beaters". I would honestly prefer the word "tool". Like a craftsman wrench, it is of quality, but I will use it and throw it around as needed. I own some that I treat like babies, but for the most part, if I dropped one, it wouldn't be the end of the world if I picked it up with a nice gauge in it from a rock.

I guess my beater is the one I put together for my wife. PSA 16" melonite upper w/ pencil barrel on a NFA polymer lower w/ PSA BCG & CH. Total price is about $420. However, I have updated small parts here and there on the factory NFA lower.

I'd tell you to take ten $100 bills and burn them but that'd be illegal for you to do. But I'd do it anyway. But I understand about having/keeping a "tiered" pile a da kine.
Lame. Burn that Colt and toss it in the crick mud.

Only one I currently have was built with almost all used parts.

I have no real connection to it so I still haven't bothered to reseat the gas block and get it out of bolt gun to simi auto...:oops:.

I have a nice lower and would like to build it out as a nice rifle and one I would use for defense. I wouldn't take the nice one to train with though.

I haven't seen much all that much different between the nice ones and the cheap ones, as far as how they work - obviously there are better triggers and accuracy, unless you need extended mag releases and ambi safties and stuff...

Learn with a machete and defend with a Katana;).

My beater MSR would be a PSA blem complete lower with a Radical firearms complete upper, an "I can't remember where I bought this mil spec BCG" ....with an 80 dollar Bushnell RDS, I recently "upgraded" it with a Kak brace and buffer tube. 200 plus rounds plus down the pipe and it shoots well with a 10.5 barrel. Less than 500 total bucks in to it until I got the brace.

Brutus Out

Well Joe, all I can say is, I too like pretty guns. But the good news, (or maybe not) is when you get older, like me LOL your eye sight will degrade over time, and they will be beautiful. That is, you wont see the little marks anymore. They sure don't bug me anymore.

I say take both, only because you want to make sure that they are good enough to train on.
Plus, one is none, two is one. Isn't that the old saying?

Appleseed is taking on the mind, body and equipment. Not so much from a blemish perspective but if you really want to see if your rifle can 'take the heat' - bring it to an Appleseed. 400+ rounds in 2 days will give you a great sense of its reliability and accuracy.

Try to limit the tactical equipment - vertical grips, single point slings and lights/lasers will get in your way. If you're going to run an optic, I don't recommend a red dot. Make sure you can get a good cheek weld and still see through the optic from the prone position (most scopes are mounted for sitting or bench rest).

Like others have said - my guns are for shooting. I'll admire a good looking rifle but if I paid so much that I cant drop it without crying it does me a disservice.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top