Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Do people still hunt deer with 30/30s

Discussion in 'Northwest Hunting' started by manakiah, Aug 15, 2009.

1. manakiah

manakiah Issaquah Wa Member

Im new to Deer hunting. I have been an avid shooter for years but never hunted. I 'm thinking about picking up a Marlin 336 30/30. Does anyone have any advice on this gun. Thanks Jason

2. JC9995

JC9995 Greater "Clackamas" Active Member

Excellent brush gun. Slow, big and doesnt deflect from small branches and such like the faster rounds do. 30/30 is what I hunted with for years. Great gun, still have it. Your good to go with it to 250 yards or so.

3. finch6013

finch6013 Oregon City Active Member

one of the best for this area. I have used it many times

4. terrylf72

terrylf72 Portland, Oregon, United States Member

I still use a 30-30. Winchester Canadian Centenial. 26" Octagon barrel, holds 10 rounds. Flatest shooting 30-30 I have ever shot and shoots a tad farther then 250 yards.. Have hit a big brass bell at 400. This rifle is blessed.. It was my fathers!

5. WAYNO

WAYNO Oregon City Gold Supporter Gold Supporter Bronze Supporter

Since I'm a Blacktail hunter, I spend a lot of time in the brush. When I'm in a situation where the weather does get in the way of a scope, which can be often, out comes the .30-30, with iron sights, and I'm absolutely not under-gunned. The .30-30 continues to be a GREAT deer cartridge.:thumbup:

And a Marlin 336? As opposed to a Winchester 94? That's a Ford and Chevy comparison. I own both, and they both operate flawlessly. The Marlin is easier to disassemble for cleaning, and I do believe, slightly more accurate than a Winchester. But that opinion would not cause me to choose one, over the other.

WAYNO.

6. shibbershabber

shibbershabber Vancouver Well-Known Member

thats all I use is a 30-30

7. Natty Bumpo

Natty Bumpo Clackamas County Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

It is a terrific rifle for the west side of the Cascades. I have a flat-band model Winchester 94 (1947) with a ghost ring rear sight. It is really fast in the brush.

8. Abe Froman

Abe Froman West of Salem Active Member

My 1970 Winchester 94 is my first choice for deer hunting, iron sights and all.

9. CaughtSteelin

CaughtSteelin Oregon Member

Use a 30/30 (no-scope) for brush hunting. Use a .243 (scope) for open hunting.

10. SheepDog223

SheepDog223 Salem Well-Known Member

I'd get a winchester from a pawn shop with an angle eject. I see them go for about $250.00 when it's not hunting season.

11. MarkAd

MarkAd Port Orchard Well-Known Member

Damm good rifle. I shoot 3/4 inch overlapping groupds at a 100 yards.
    I have to scope my rilfes but even with iron sights and my eye sight I shot tigh groups at a 100 yard. Get a Matlin 335c 30-30 today

12. manakiah

manakiah Issaquah Wa Member

Thanks for all the great info!!

13. TonsOfOregonBrass

TonsOfOregonBrass Sandy, OR Active Member

great round for black tail. around Portland, it is amazing in the brush. the deer i shot only made it 20 feet before falling over. Highly recommended.

14. Trick

Trick St Helens Active Member

15. tattoo

tattoo NorthWest Active Member

Marlin. Still a great deer gun.:)

16. TheLews

TheLews Vancouver,wa Member

30-30s work great. My husbands grandpa still hunts with one. We hunt where it is pretty open sometimes and he loves it. That is all he uses

17. gallogiro

gallogiro Willamette Valley Active Member

Great gun, I was hoping to get a marlin 30/30 myself, I hope before hunting season starts.

18. Jerry

Jerry Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

Yep - a Marlin 336 in .30-30 is a fine firearm. I shoot 170 gr Corlokts.

Have you considered a Marlin 336 in .35 Remington? Nuthin like a good .35 Rem.

I know...folks will tell you that the ammo selection is limited. So what? Can't do much better than the 200 gr Corlokt in the good ol' .35!

I can tell ya fer sure that black bears don't like 'em!

I know! Get both!

Oooh...how about a Savage 99 in .300 Savage. Yeah...now yer talking! Better get all 3!

Seriously though....there's absolutely nothing wrong with the good old .30-30. Or the .35. Or the .300 Savage......

19. bwells

bwells Longview Member

30/30s are great guns. When I'm hunting in thick brush I take my Win. 94. I use standard Federal 170 gr. soft points. I've even carried it for elk a few times, loaded with 170 gr. Nosler partitions. I've never shot an elk with it, but in the places I go shots are going to be quick and short.

20. rusobr2

rusobr2 prineville,or Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

wow!! if you don't use a lever 30-30 to go deer hunting , you will probably won't end up in the hunters HALL OF FAME!! lol ! with almost any cartrige in 150 gr its almost a sure shot at 100-125 yds (1 shot 1 kill) you can always count on the small burgs, to have this ammo available,and its still cheap enough to go do a little fun shooten with, i love mine, and if it comes down to the electric bill or my 30-30,i say drag out the candles, get one and enjoy,steven