JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I think buying a gun to use it for a test drive is the only way to find out if you really like it. I do this all the time, the only problem is I always like them. I try to buy used just in case I don't like it I can sell it for close to what I bought it for.

Same here. I have a strange desire to try every make, caliber and model of carry guns around.
If I do not think it fits me well it goes on the board for what I paid.

This confuses me. If it was never fired and a Glock it would have come with 2 mags or 3 if a gen 4. Dealers are required to sell gen 3 17, 19, 22, 23 at no less than 500 which is why that is the price across the board. If the dealer charges too much or too little Glock has no problem taking their license agreement and saying "no Glock for you". Would suck to be a shop that has no glocks with all the Glock only gun enthusiasts.
On the board you have to consider as others have said some people take advantage of people wanting a gun not tied to them if gun bans are passed. I have sold Glocks for 500 if they have extras like night sights, one with a crimson trace grip, but used I would not pay more than 450 and that would need to be a pristine gun unless it had those extras.

Well, and that's why I ask the question in the first place. I'm certainly no expert in gun values, I just try to do a reasonable search of the current prices. Coming here and putting myself out there for scrutiny isn't a bad way to find out what people really think - it's hard to do that when you're just waiting for a response to an ad.

It's interesting. I've now had 4 cash offers and 1 trade offer, but so far only one has been serious enough to get my attention. That one ended with the guy admitting he didn't have all the cash at the moment, but wanted to offer a partial trade of some items I didn't need. I dropped the price by $25 today to see what happens. Honestly, if someone gave me an offer of $475, I'd likely take it. I'll wait it out for a bit longer since I'm not in any great hurry and see if I need to re-adjust from there.

Thanks for the honest opinions from everyone though, it's a good learning experience.

As for Playboy - I know he's bought and sold a lot more guns than I ever will, so it's nice to see him weigh in on this as well.

from CJ1089
"The "right" price is the one where both parties agree to deal and complete a transaction."
Glocks for sale on the east coast, $800

I guess there is a cap on the lowest you can sell it for but maybe not the highest? Is that ffl or private? I know they have to be sold no less than 500 or whatever the exact amount is but I thought there was a profit cap as well.

I guess there is a cap on the lowest you can sell it for but maybe not the highest? Is that ffl or private? I know they have to be sold no less than 500 or whatever the exact amount is but I thought there was a profit cap as well.
Troll!!!
But for statistical purposes within the past 12 months:
I bought a G30 for $450 from a pp
I bought a G27 for $525 from a dealer
I bought a G34 for $500 from a pp
I bought a G26 for $480 from a pp

For you, a deal!!
Trade you my G34 for only $600!

I have never spent more than 500 for a Glock from a dealer or paid for one at all privately. Traded for a Glock 23 but I would never spend more than what its worth. I bought and then later sold a 23 with night sights and crimson trace for cheaper than any on that list. They can be had at 400 if you are willing to wait. Now your privately acquired Glocks are public...thats a no no.

I'll jump in here since I happen to have Gen 3 Glock 19 currently listed. Having sold a number of guns over the years, I try to do my research before I ever post a listing. I look at not only what the gun sells for new, but what others are selling them for in a similar condition. I try not to overprice my guns, I just want a fair price out of them. My listing is for a pistol that's never been fired, and was disassembled once for the initial cleaning. Since then, it sat, unused. I paid $500 for it with one magazine and bought two more at $25 each, plus a plug for $10. So I've got $560 into an unfired gun and I'm listing it at $525. Again, doing my research, it seems reasonable to me.
So, I'll ask, do you guys think this is just too high for what is basically a new gun? Or am I out of my mind?

No matter how you spin it, it is a used gun. My opinion is if new is $500, a dealer might give you $250. I think half the difference between this and the new price added to what the dealer will buy it for is a reasonable price, not what you rationalize it as. Here $250 + 1/2($500-$250) = $375.

Bottom line is, it is not a new gun and the extra magazines have no monetary value from my perspective, as I expect a magazine, or two. More extras might encourage me to buy quicker, but will not motivate me to pay a higher price.

Are you 'out of your mind' ? Beats me, but you asked if I thought the $525 was too high. I do, but that does not mean you cannot ask whatever you wish. You set the value it has to you, not the value it has to me. Good luck with your sale.

No matter how you spin it, it is a used gun. My opinion is if new is $500, a dealer might give you $250. I think half the difference between this and the new price added to what the dealer will buy it for is a reasonable price, not what you rationalize it as. Here $250 + 1/2($500-$250) = $375.

Bottom line is, it is not a new gun and the extra magazines have no monetary value from my perspective, as I expect a magazine, or two. More extras might encourage me to buy quicker, but will not motivate me to pay a higher price.

Are you 'out of your mind' ? Beats me, but you asked if I thought the $525 was too high. I do, but that does not mean you cannot ask whatever you wish. You set the value it has to you, not the value it has to me. Good luck with your sale.

At what point did I say or imply it was anything other than used? I state the facts - I bought it new, I never shot it, I field stripped and cleaned it as I would any new gun and I set it in the drawer. If you look at my listing, that's what you'd get. I don't use terms like LNIB or NEW, when I know it's not. I would never intentionally misrepresent a listing, nor would I inflate the actual condition. As I stated, I do my research on going prices for a gun before I list them. I tend to start a little high and see what the response is. I can always move down, but I can't move up if I started too low.

As for your $375 price, I don't see any excellent quality used Glock 19's going that low on this site, and they are selling, so that seems a bit low in my opinion. Maybe they're out there, but I'm not seeing them. Based on feedback I've been getting since I asked the question here, it seems $425 to $450 is reasonable for similar condition right now, which put my starting price a bit high. It doesn't matter to me what a dealer would pay - they are planning to make a good margin on it, which is why I do private sales - I can get a better price. As for my sale, I had a good trade offer and we'll be finalizing that tomorrow, one week after I posted the listing.

What's surprised me is the price people post for Ruger Mark II and III's. I've been looking to pick one up and for a couple weeks have been checking Armslist and here, and have seen a bunch of guns going for significantly more than I would spend at NW Armory or Keith's to buy new. Some have a few small extras like an extra mag or new grips, but most come just as they would new from the store, but more expensive. In one case someone was selling the exact same 22/45 NW armory has for $339 but were asking $475 with no extras. I just don't understand who is dumb enough to buy that.

I'm not looking for one, so I've not checked on the prices.

I do, however, know more than a few people who'll pay full retail or close to it for used weapons in good condition, in order to keep their private purchases off the books.

I see them all the time...$500 and up for used Glocks...

They are a dime a dozen in Portland...Gen 3's...for $499 NEW and less...

I saw a $475 USED Taurus PT145 Pro on Armslist...and a $500LC9 w/Laser...and $500+ Sig 2022's..

I just wonder if the buyers actually research what they are buying.....or are just flush with cash...

i bought my gen 3 glock 23 brand new in box from an FFL for 445 out the door in november. my dad just recently bought a brand new in box glock 23 from the same FFL for 480. he said his cost from his wholesaler went up in jan. still, its hard to beat those prices. its ridiculous how much ppl want for their used ones but it is their right to ask as much as they want just as much as its our right to think theyre asking too much.

I see them all the time...$500 and up for used Glocks...

They are a dime a dozen in Portland...Gen 3's...for $499 NEW and less...

I saw a $475 USED Taurus PT145 Pro on Armslist...and a $500LC9 w/Laser...and $500+ Sig 2022's..

I just wonder if the buyers actually research what they are buying.....or are just flush with cash...
Not me

Glocks for sale on the east coast, $800

etwtgp.jpg

I don't.

I have seen quite a few used guns, especially it seems Glocks on this very forum where the seller is asking nearly full retail. FULL RETAIL for a used gun! Again, they ain't getting that from me. I don't for a second buy into that argument of not having a paper trail on a gun. Get real people. How hard is it to "connect the dots"?

So if I'm in the market for a Glock I'll more than likely just buy new. The pennies saved (relatively speaking) just isn't worth the hassle.

Not necessarily. I know of folks that would have to have dots connected over 25-30 yrs, through people who never knew with whom they were doing business! I'm glad that I don't personally know anyone who would do such a thing!

I think buying a gun to use it for a test drive is the only way to find out if you really like it. I do this all the time, the only problem is I always like them. I try to buy used just in case I don't like it I can sell it for close to what I bought it for.

I hear you Rip! I have such exquisite taste and perfect perception that once I pick it up, it's MINE!

I'm in the market for a g19 gen 2 or 3 or 4, but I won't pay more than $450 for one. When I bought my original g19 it was $400 IIRC from NW Armory (new, in 1999 or so, the klinton ban was in effect ). Unfortunately it was stolen but I liked the way it shot and want another one, my baby g26 isn't that good for training outside of CQB distances.
I've never made a profit selling a gun, and I don't ever intend to. They are tools, not gems

It's no secret that people overprice things here.

But we really only have ourselves to blame.

Do your research before buying. Check other forums, online dealers, classifieds, local dealers, etc.

If you see a standard no-frills Glock for close to $500, shrug your shoulders and move on. If they need the cash bad enough, the price will eventually come down.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top