JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Very true. That has been the basis of my decision not to enter the 300BLK realm up to this point. That and I don't have a suppressor to take full advantage of being super quiet with sub sonics. I like the round a lot, just not the cost to shoot it. :(

Being online and affiliated with any firearm orginization, you're already on a list.
Purchased anything through an FFL?
Have your CHL?

I got an SBR done up long before the panic.
At that time I wasnt concerned about being on a list, I didnt own too much anyhow.

What Ive noticed:
Background checks no matter when/where in line Im entered in at, the minute its entered in its approved. It sure seemed faster than when other guys were buying something and waiting on their BGC..

Never had any visitors or so much as letter.

However, if there IS a national registration those holding NFA items may be the first on the list.. We're all in tune enough.. Ill be long gone before they come a knockin.

Sadly, I lost "everything" in a boating accident.. All I have left is my SBR..

Have no fear man, SBR it up.

Though.. I would like to add.. With an SBR its now one of those firearms you have to pay close attention to.. Special paperwork/hassle to travel with it (out of state).. there are times I dont take mine along on a range day because I just dont want to bother toting along the paperwork..just in case I run into an overly eager Johnny Law.

Last Edited:
there is so much bad information in this it's almost commical. guess I"ll point out for shiggles that it is currently not possible to build a Scorpion EVO into a legal sbr however CZ is working on bringing US made parts to market as a 922R SBR kit

Last Edited:
Schwabdl, it is possible. Via 2 ways, the sig arm brace adapter allows the figment of any standard ar buffer tube wich you could put a stock on. Also the airsoft version stock fits right on the scorpion and is made from the same stuff. Just look at all the stock less airsoft guns on eBay lol. Anyways I like it a lot. Handles nicely. Really want to SBR, but have to sift thru the misinformation.

Schwabdl, it is possible. Via 2 ways, the sig arm brace adapter allows the figment of any standard ar buffer tube wich you could put a stock on. Also the airsoft version stock fits right on the scorpion and is made from the same stuff. Just look at all the stock less airsoft guns on eBay lol. Anyways I like it a lot. Handles nicely. Really want to SBR, but have to sift thru the misinformation.

Its quite possible, simply not legal :D

"Obviously, an approved Form 1 is required to convert the CZ Scorpion EVO 3 S1 Pistol into an SBR," CZ-USA said. "The ATF has informed us that 922r does apply, and their official parts count for the Scorpion Pistol is 16 parts. CZ-USA is currently in the process of manufacturing a number of US-made parts which we intend to sell both individually and as part of a kit to ensure that individuals manufacturing SBRs have the means to comply with 922r."

I am very fickle and tend to buy and sell all the time, never quite happy with what I have. I'm thinking that one is truly married to the SBR since it would be a PITA to sell it.

And then after a little thinking I figured this is also true:

The only thing you're married to is the stripped lower. Every single part off the thing can be sold off. The only real investment is the $100 for the lower, the $200 tax stamp, and the cost of engraving. $400 seems quite worth the effort!!!

Your not even married to the lower. Other than it being engraved and the overal cost, it's no different to sell than any other lower.
And we've all sunk a bunch of money into something that we have no chance of recuperating.

National Firearms Act (NFA) — Short Barreled Rifles and Shotguns Web Page

Q: If I remove the short barrel from the registered SBR or SBS, is the receiver still subject to NFA transfer and possession regulations?

If the possessor retains control over the barrel or other parts required to assemble the SBR or SBS, the firearm would still be subject to NFA transfer and possession regulations. ATF recommends contacting State law enforcement officials to ensure compliance with state and local law.

Q: Does the installation of a barrel over 16 inches in length (SBR) or 18 inches in length (SBS) remove the firearm from the purview of the NFA? If so, is this considered a permanent change?
Installation of a barrel greater than 16 inches in length (SBR) or 18 inches in length (SBS) will remove the firearm from the purview of the NFA provided the registrant does not maintain control over the parts necessary to reconfigure the firearm as a SBR or SBS.

Q: Is it necessary to send notification to ATF and receive acknowledgement that the SBR or SBS has been removed from the purview of the NFA before it may be sold as a GCA firearm?
There is no requirement for the possessor of a registered NFA firearm to notify ATF that the firearm has been removed from the purview of the NFA. However, ATF recommends the possessor notify the NFA Branch of such changes in writing so that the possessor is not mistakenly identified as the owner if the firearm is later used in a crime. If, at the time of transfer, the firearm does not meet the definition of a SBR, it should be transferred without filing the NFA transfer application and without payment of the transfer tax.

Q: If I remove the short barrel from my SBR or SBS, may I move the firearm across state lines without the submission of ATF Form 5320.20, Application to Transport or to Temporarily Export Certain Firearms?

If the registrant retains control over the parts required to assemble the SBR or SBS, the firearm is still be subject to all requirements of the NFA. ATF recommends contacting law enforcement officials in the destination state to ensure compliance with state and local law.

Q: May the short barrel on an SBR or SBS be replaced with a long barrel for hunting or other purposes, with the intent of replacing the short barrel?

Yes, and you will not be required to again register the firearm before replacing the short barrel. ATF recommends written notification to the NFA Branch when a firearm's configuration is permanently changed or removed from the purview of the NFA.

Q: May I transfer the receiver of a short-barrel rifle or shotgun to an FFL or to an individual as I would any GCA firearm?
Yes. A weapon that does not meet the definition of a NFA "firearm" is not subject to the NFA and a possessor or transferor needn't comply with NFA requirements. The firearm is considered a GCA firearm and may be transferred under the provisions of that law.
Q: Who is responsible for notifying the NFA Branch when I transfer the GCA firearm to a FFL or another individual?

There is no requirement that the transferor or transferee of a GCA firearm notify the NFA branch of a transfer or that either party determine whether the firearm was previously registered under the NFA. There is no also no requirement for the registrant or possessor of a NFA firearm to notify ATF of the removal of features that caused the firearm to be subject to the NFA; however, ATF recommends the owner notify the NFA Branch in writing if a firearm is permanently removed from the NFA.

Q: How do I properly record the sale or disposition of a receiver that is registered in the NFRTR but is no longer a NFA firearm? Will ATF Industry Operations Investigators be aware that the NFA firearm (SBR or SBS) no longer exist?
A FFL should note a disposition in the A&D record only when the firearm is transferred out of his/her inventory. <broken link removed> does not require an annotation declaring that a firearm is a GCA or NFA firearm. Any such notation would be at the FFL's discretion. If the firearm is subject to the NFA at the time of transfer, the licensee is required to comply with the applicable transfer and possession regulations. Any inventory report should reflect the firearms currently registered to the FFL under the NFA. Therefore, ATF recommends written notification to the NFA Branch when a firearm is removed from the purview of the NFA.

Q: If removal and destruction or disposition of the short barrel removes the firearm from the purview NFA, is there a minimum time period the barrel must remain unattached for the firearm to not be regulated under the NFA?
The temporary removal of the barrel for repair or change of caliber does not remove a NFA firearm from the purview of the NFA. If the registrant maintains control of the parts required for assembly of a SBR, he or she must maintain the registration as a SBS or SBS regardless of the length of time that the barrel is unattached.

Q: May a FFL or an individual legally possess the parts to manufacture an SBR or SBS as long as no firearms are actually assembled?
A FFL (Type-7 or Type-10) who pays the Special Occupational Tax (SOT) may possess parts required to assemble NFA firearms. A non-licensee or FFL who has not paid the SOT is required to register any NFA firearm via an ATF Form 1 (5320.1) prior to acquisition of the parts required to assemble such firearm.

Assuming your talking about ARs, it's the lower that's the registered SBR. The short uppers are just that, <16" uppers. And yes, they can all be used on the same registered lower.

I'm no expert, but I'd be a little careful in one aspect. Even though every short-barrel upper could, in theory, be owned only for use on the one tax-stamped lower, every non-tax-stamped lower could be a host. Thus, every "extra" short-barreled could be considered as an illegal attempt of "constructive intent" for every possible lower you have.

Did I explain that adequately?

1 tax-stamped SBR lower (plus) 2 standard rifle lowers (plus) 3 short-barrel uppers could equal one legal SBR and two felonies of constructive intent.

I'm not saying that this is the truth, just that logic says this MIGHT be true. Anybody know the truth on this issue?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top