JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
. . . and with that; I've been 'advised' that you can swap uppers to your hearts content, as long as you keep the upper that the SBR was registered with, so as pacmanwa said, it can be returned to its original documented condition.

Or the equivalent upper. It doesn't need to be the same 10.5" 5.56 barrel, but you better have a 10.5" 5.56 stamped barrel available if you are using the gun.

If you sold all the parts and just had an orphaned lower, that would probably not be a problem.

I plan to SBR the lower for the 9" 300 blackout anyway. I was just mainly checking to see if I can shoot it while I'm waiting for the form 1 approval and stamp. I will return the original 5.56 SBR 10"5 to it's approved state.

I plan to SBR the lower for the 9" 300 blackout anyway. I was just mainly checking to see if I can shoot it while I'm waiting for the form 1 approval and stamp. I will return the original 5.56 SBR 10"5 to it's approved state.
You can shoot the 300 upper on you 5.56 lower. There's no problem with switching uppers, unless you totally get rid of all uppers matching the description on the approved form 1.

Or the equivalent upper. It doesn't need to be the same 10.5" 5.56 barrel, but you better have a 10.5" 5.56 stamped barrel available if you are using the gun.

If you sold all the parts and just had an orphaned lower, that would probably not be a problem.
Old Fudd tale. The ATF likes you to do that so they can update the registry but its not a legal requirement. There isn't a government form to do it on. If you have to write it on a napkin? Not a law. They write it up in their FAQ's like its a law but there is no law to force it.

Old Fudd tale. The ATF likes you to do that so they can update the registry but its not a legal requirement. There isn't a government form to do it on. If you have to write it on a napkin? Not a law. They write it up in their FAQ's like its a law but there is no law to force it.
The main problem I see is that you have a requirement to engrave the caliber, and that is usually the marking on the barrel, not the receiver. So if you "permanently" switch out your barrel by getting rid of the original, "300 BLK" is not the correct marking.

I realize the chances that this will ever come up are slim, but to be 100% correct I think that having a mismatch with your paperwork isn't a great idea. Even if that means just having a stripped barrel lying around.

The main problem I see is that you have a requirement to engrave the caliber, and that is usually the marking on the barrel, not the receiver. So if you "permanently" switch out your barrel by getting rid of the original, "300 BLK" is not the correct marking.

I realize the chances that this will ever come up are slim, but to be 100% correct I think that having a mismatch with your paperwork isn't a great idea. Even if that means just having a stripped barrel lying around.
You are under no legal obligation to report caliber changes either so it's a moot point. The form 1 is just a snapshot in time of the gun at the time it was built. If you change things later on the ATF "likes" you to inform them but its not a legal requirement and it certainly isn't something that they have ever prosecuted anyone for...because they can't.

You are under no legal obligation to report caliber changes either so it's a moot point. The form 1 is just a snapshot in time of the gun at the time it was built. If you change things later on the ATF "likes" you to inform them but its not a legal requirement and it certainly isn't something that they have ever prosecuted anyone for...because they can't.
Okay. Good to know. Weird that they require engraving.

Okay. Good to know. Weird that they require engraving.
Hence the ? at the end of the post. I'm just not sure with everything I've read.
Theres a lot of schlock out there.

The answer is no, you do not need to inform them of caliber or length changes. You can if you want. It only becomes an issue if you sell it down the road as a title 1 firearm without notifying them ( you can do that too ) and the next owner tries to form 1 it. Ive had that happen. Then you get a phone call asking whats going on but thats all you get.

The answer is no, you do not need to inform them of caliber or length changes. You can if you want. It only becomes an issue if you sell it down the road as a title 1 firearm without notifying them ( you can do that too ) and the next owner tries to form 1 it. Ive had that happen. Then you get a phone call asking whats going on but thats all you get.
Good to know. I was off by 3/4 inch on one of my SBRs, and was unsure if I should update the ATF.

I believe you can also put a 16"+ length barrel on the SBR and go interstate without the required permission slip, because it's not an SBR during that time…. Yeah?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top