JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I believe you can also put a 16"+ length barrel on the SBR and go interstate without the required permission slip, because it's not an SBR during that time…. Yeah?
Yep. You can also make it a no stock pistol . Same deal. If you do file a 5320.20 you can file for an entire years duration

I just reached out to the ATF about this today.
I asked if I needed to keep the original barrel (if I swapped the barrel resulting in a caliber change) and notify them of a caliber change OR did I need to build an entire new upper to change the caliber and their answer was the following.

"You can change out the entire upper or barrel. Notification to the ATF is not required."

I rebutted with "even if it changes the caliber"
Their response
"You can change anything except the serialized part of lower"

Last Edited:
I asked if I needed to keep the original barrel (if I swapped the barrel resulting in a caliber change) and notify them of a caliber change OR did I need to build an entire new upper to change the caliber and their answer was the following.

"You can change iut the entire upper or barrel. Notification to the ATF is not required."

Their response

no sh1t

"You can change iut the entire upper or barrel. Notification to the ATF is not required."

Their response
KEEP A COPY OF THAT!

I'd like to SBR a dedicated lower but have no particular direction yet as to what upper will end up on it. My thoughts are an 8" 300 blk barrel that will run constantly suppressed but who really knows? It seems strange that they need specifics about the barrel length. Obviously, it's under 16" ......
Should I just put 300blk for now?

I'd like to SBR a dedicated lower but have no particular direction yet as to what upper will end up on it. My thoughts are an 8" 300 blk barrel that will run constantly suppressed but who really knows? It seems strange that they need specifics about the barrel length. Obviously, it's under 16" ......
I would put down multi-caliber.

It is the lower that is the registered part of the SBR.

Within limits yes you can mix and match lowers and uppers as long as they are in the same format. You cannot use a 308 lower and an AR-15 upper together for instance.

AR-15 lowers are the same. Uppers are caliber specific. 223, 5.56, 300 BO, 6 ARC, etc can be swapped.

AR-10 lowers will only fit to AR-10 uppers. AR-10 uppers fit 308, 8.6 Blackout, 338, 458, etc

Just make sure that you get the correct ammunition into the correct barrel. Could cause serious harm or worse.

The form 1 is a snapshot of when you build it . You can notify them of changes if you want and they "like" you to but its not a legal requirement
I would put down multi-caliber.

Dont do that.

It is the lower that is the registered part of the SBR.

Within limits yes you can mix and match lowers and uppers as long as they are in the same format. You cannot use a 308 lower and an AR-15 upper together for instance.

AR-15 lowers are the same. Uppers are caliber specific. 223, 5.56, 300 BO, 6 ARC, etc can be swapped.

AR-10 lowers will only fit to AR-10 uppers. AR-10 uppers fit 308, 8.6 Blackout, 338, 458, etc

Just make sure that you get the correct ammunition into the correct barrel. Could cause serious harm or worse.
Absolutely 💯. I wonder what kind of fire breathing dragon a short barrel 338 would be!

The form 1 is a snapshot of when you build it . You can notify them of changes if you want and they "like" you to but its not a legal requirement

Dont do that.
The only place I could see it helping to notify them is in the instance you only have a single SBR lower and multiple short barreled uppers. Not sure if they'd try to come at you with constructive intent. I'd obviously then indicate that those are specifically for use with a dedicated SBR lower and produce the appropriate stamp and paperwork.

The only place I could see it helping to notify them is in the instance you only have a single SBR lower and multiple short barreled uppers. Not sure if they'd try to come at you with constructive intent. I'd obviously then indicate that those are specifically for use with a dedicated SBR lower and produce the appropriate stamp and paperwork.
That's not really a thing when you have a registered lower. You can have as many uppers as you like.

Don't over think it. They will only care to see that the lower is SBR'd. Have never had anyone ask yet.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top