JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Catherine...
I can identify with your quandary.
It seems that if you want to see the latest and greatest on TV now it requires you to sit still and be spoon fed the latest ration of political bile. Not just on the daily "news" indoctrination hour, but with the late night "talk shows".
They pretend that they are trying to be funny, which makes them even more pathetic. Host stands up, host spews vicious propaganda load in the monologues, laugh light goes on, "studio audience" goes laugh chuckle. I miss Carson. Atleast he could be entertaining at times, without forcing a political agenda.
One possible thought for you. After I got caught in the act of "Deprograming" certain channels from the remotes memory, I discovered the world of used video. If you can't find a store near you, make it a checklist list item when you have to visit the vile city. You should be able to find some used video stores, Goodwill's, etc there somewhere. I've found some rare treasure, including some Brit programming (not my cup of Earl Grey) As your collection of grows (yes they can take space) find a safe place to store it. Like maybe a location that is climate controlled and away from possible intruders (hint hint..include a microwave for the popcorn).
1984 is here, thought and freedom of expression are also under attack. Those things are contrary to the "common good of the state".
If I last that long, "they" will have to fight me in my bunker for my mags and John Wayne collection. 😤

Last Edited:
A ROKU device was the answer to all my TV woes and other than requiring an ISP (which I have anyway) I have been pretty satisfied with it.

It is especially advantageous if you WANT to watch older, classic TV shows and movies.

Last Edited:
A ROKU device was the answer to all my TV woes and other than requiring an ISP (which I have anyway) I have been pretty satisfied with it.

It is especially advantageous if you WANT to watch older, classic TV shows and movies.
Hmm.
Does this device have a political delete button ?

I got us one of those and love it. We have a smart TV and dropped cable. Problem was the TV was older and did not play well with all the streaming. The little Roku was great. Everything in one place.

Catherine...
I can identify with your quandary.
It seems that if you want to see the latest and greatest on TV now it requires you to sit still and be spoon fed the latest ration of political bile. Not just on the daily "news" indoctrination hour, but with the late night "talk shows".
They pretend that they are trying to be funny, which makes them even more pathetic. Host stands up, host spews vicious propaganda load in the monologues, laugh light goes on, "studio audience" goes laugh chuckle. I miss Carson. Atleast he could be entertaining at times, without forcing a political agenda.
One possible thought for you. After I got caught in the act of "Deprograming" certain channels from the remotes memory, I discovered the world of used video. If you can't find a store near you, make it a checklist list item when you have to visit the vile city. You should be able to find some used video stores, Goodwill's, etc there somewhere. I've found some rare treasure, including some Brit programming (not my cup of Earl Grey) As your collection of grows (yes they can take space) find a safe place to store it. Like maybe a location that is climate controlled and away from possible intruders (hint hint..include a microwave for the popcorn).
1984 is here, thought and freedom of expression are also under attack. Those things are contrary to the "common good of the state".
If I last that long, "they" will have to fight me in my bunker for my mags and John Wayne collection. 😤
I enjoyed CARSON too! I can totally RELATE to what you said about 'hosts' and late night shows.

My MT husband bought some NIB on sale movies, series/shows DIRT CHEAP at Walmart, Target, at the OLD Hastings, etc.

The last two rental video stores went out of business but you could BUY a brand new/sealed to KEEP super discounted film or series set there too. They special ordered a few CLASSIC films and shows for us too.

They sold some used films and shows there (Hastings and Crazy Mike's.) Most of the used ones never interested me so I never bought them. They sell them at some thrift stores now too. Plus at garage sales.

I read several forums and I know a couple of people who do NOT have cable or a sat. dish for boob tube shows. Some of them have OTA reception as I do now. Some of them have NO OTA reception as I had for some time (Years.) too.

Those people on some forums (Discussion groups.) are on the HUNT for old shows, old series, old movies, etc. It is interesting to read what some people talk about because MANY of their shows and films are ones that I NEVER saw and/or were not interested in too. NOT all of the people have the same taste as I do but many of them DO. Plus they REVIEW newer ones too. What a hoot to read sometimes!

A few of those posters do not even have an ISP connection for a computer at a rural home too. Some of them live IN TOWN and they deliberately choose NOT to have an ISP connection for a computer at home too. They use a cellular telephone to connect to the WWWeb or they use a local library or coffee shop.

We had SOME movies/series/tv shows for many years, we watched them a LOT and moved on.

Meaning, we KEPT our SUPER favorite ones, we still have some CLASSICS including John Wayne ones, we have VERY few newer ones - classics, etc. and the REST OF THEM got donated to our public library here in town. They still have them too.

We have slowly donated more and more of them. On purpose!

Your idea is a very good one for many people who can't find some of the oldie or good ones over time.

Ours were hand picked by us - we do not regret buying them super discounted, keeping them for many years and finally donating MANY OF THEM.

Our old fashioned likes/dislikes in most CLASSIC western/war/mystery/etc. movies/shows have not changed that much but our VIEWS and opinions on some OTHER film making and the actors/producers/etc. have changed and NOT just in the LAST 5 to 10 years. Much longer.

When you talk about deprograming - man alive - do I GET YOU - understand you there!

As I have said, most of the time, our tv is on the OFF position. I kid you not.

My MT husband likes SOME of my British mystery shows but NOT all of them. He goes into another room and reads if he does NOT like them.

My late husband could NOT stand most of the British mystery shows. I watched them in the living room. He stayed in the DEN and I closed both doors to the den when I watched them. LOL

Take care!

Cate
PS: I used to keep our former LARGER collection of films in LEGAL SIZE file tubs - Rubbermaid brand and other top brand names.

Think of a heavier or larger steel filing cabinet only using PLASTIC portable file cabinets with tops that seal and are EASY TO MOVE for an emergency evacuation of your important papers - files.

When we finally donated them after going through many of them for the LAST TIME - they looked brand new and they kept well. I kept them inside of the house. I could do this again with the tubs/file system but right now, the films/shows that we still have are in 2 drawers in an oak bureau. I did NOT want to put them in a closed bookcase (Glass front - barrister style.) or open bookcase and have ONE MORE THING to dust and clean. Grin.

Last Edited:

I read about ROKU some time ago and I will have to study it some more.

Apparently AFTER you buy the ROKU THING - you can watch 'free tv' with MORE STATIONS although they have some other type of pay deal (?) too.

I have SEVERAL free stations now (OTA) and maybe I can get more free stations on top of what I already have (?). Maybe? I have to study it.

We do have a portable but newer television. It is NOT hooked up to anything but a smaller/newer INDOOR ANTENNA. Twenty dollars or so at Walmart for that. It does not have a huge screen but it is larger than the old set.

I said that wrong! The tv is hooked up to the indoor antenna AND a disc player = it plays dvds and blue ray discs. Sometimes, my husband hooks up a HDMI (?) CABLE thing, he is UP now and I just asked him the WORD for it. He or I hook that up to the tv and connect it to the lap top computer and watch some free things online.

Either way, I will check it out. Thank you for the input.

My old friend who wants to dump his cable tv connection, back east, because he has a zillion stations and only 3 are worth jack squat said that his wife would die with NO cable tv. My older sister is addicted to cable tv too.

I am enjoying my ISP computer connection for some overseas talk shows online more and MORE!

Sometimes, I want to DUMP the internet connection entirely at HOME but my husband said, "NO way!"

Cate

I read about ROKU some time ago and I will have to study it some more.

Apparently AFTER you buy the ROKU THING - you can watch 'free tv' with MORE STATIONS although they have some other type of pay deal (?) too.
Yes as long as you have some form of broadband internet. The Roku is just a way to bring streaming to the set. They have some free stuff or you can use it for as many streaming services as you want to subscribe too. The free stuff of course has ads, which is how its paid for just like OTA TV. One of the nice things about it is there is a lot of stuff you can try free. Lot of the services have free trial to get you to check them out. You can try them, if you don't see enough stuff you want to pay just drop them.

I finally signed up on PBS Passport a couple months ago. It was mainly done so because I wished to see the latest Ken Burns series, and I noticed they had his older works as well. All and all, not bad, and worth the price of admission. Not sure if will stick with it, because I watch very little video content these days, but so far so good.

I finally signed up on PBS Passport a couple months ago. It was mainly done so because I wished to see the latest Ken Burns series, and I noticed they had his older works as well. All and all, not bad, and worth the price of admission. Not sure if will stick with it, because I watch very little video content these days, but so far so good.
I bought DVD's of that one he did on WWII. He does some good work. Have loaned the DVD's of WWII to several people to watch.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top