JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I absolutely LOVE most of the PBS mystery shows. Almost all of them are made in England, Scotland and one is from Wales.

A few of them are made in Italy, Holland and Germany.

Some of them have not been repeated on my PBS stations recently.

How well does PBS PASSPORT work for you via your computer if you do subscribe to this?

They have many nature, general interest shows for your geographical locations, etc. on PASSPORT too.

I do realize that tax dollars pay for PBS and donations.

I know that some of you do NOT like PBS too.

So if you don't like or watch some of the PBS mystery shows or don't even turn it on... NO problem.

I am mainly interested in the people who do have the PASSPORT deal for $60. per year.

Thank you!

Cate

I could not bring myself to give them more of my money than they already get the way they are so far left they almost fall off the spectrum. Before the days of the net though I used to look forward to the yearly begging for cash. They used to run Faulty Towers while they were doing it. Great show.

I could not bring myself to give them more of my money than they already get the way they are so far left they almost fall off the spectrum. Before the days of the net though I used to look forward to the yearly begging for cash. They used to run Faulty Towers while they were doing it. Great show.
I have seen a couple of the really OLD British comedies in the past but I do not remember the names of the shows.

I do get OTA reception for my PBS channels and I just finished watching a British mystery in the wee hours.

I still LOVE the British mystery shows and Masterpiece and MOST but not all of them are VERY well done in my opinion.

The BRITISH mystery shows are much BETTER than the American mystery shows shy of the ancient OLD/ORIGINAL Law and Order with Jerry Orbach aka Lenny B.

Including the old classic lady detective called VERA.

Almost ALL of the AMERICAN free OTA shows are not that well done in my opinion.

I like some of GRIT and ME TV channels (OLD westerns.) and a bit of the others.

Most of the time, our tv is turned OFF.

We still have some of our OLDER show and movie discs. DVD and Blue Ray ones.

Most of the newer shows/movies that people RAVED about some time ago - well - we thought that they were NOT that great.

We were and still are VERY disappointed in what comes out of Holly-weird. But that has been going on for me for 20 to 30 years. Maybe longer. Just about the same for my MT husband but he always had odd hours so he never saw some shows at all. My late husband felt the same way.

And we have BOYCOTTED and/or looked at some shows from a to z again and got turned off big time due to the actors and plots. Etc.!

Donation time to the library, again, including some that we did like but passed on some CLASSICS to people who may not be able to even see them for free.

I would not give jack squat for a cable or dish subscription and I would NOT buy Netflix, Amazon whatever movie/tv and all of the others that are a PAY deal.

We did BUY and we still enjoy the Longmire discs, the original Godfather, the ORIGINAL Law and Order discs, our CLASSIC shows/movies, etc.

I get your POINT though about the FAR LEFT crapola in any type of MASS MEDIA and in the so called entertainment INDUSTRY. They don't call it PROGRAMMING for no reason!

Do you watch any shows or movies?

Do you only have OTA reception or do you BUY cable/dish or those subscriptions where they hired ALL of the FAR LEFT old politicians?

Some of that stuff on those BUY TYPES of deals like Netflix, Amazon whatever, etc. are just plain VILE if you read what they say about them in the news and the hype about it. AFTER you read the description - you will have to flush your eyes out!

Talk RADIO other than some short sessions with people who are NOT in the FAR RIGHT or FAR LEFT is really, really pathetic and that has ONLY gotten worse. That even includes a LOT OF LOCAL stations in town and LOCAL shows across this country. I get them via my computer for many national and international radio stations AND podcasts. Debates, townhall meetings, current and old historical footage, news, etc.

Man oh man! That is another thread for sure when it comes to talk radio!

LOL

Take care.

Cate

I have seen a couple of the really OLD British comedies in the past but I do not remember the names of the shows.

I do get OTA reception for my PBS channels and I just finished watching a British mystery in the wee hours.

I still LOVE the British mystery shows and Masterpiece and MOST but not all of them are VERY well done in my opinion.

The BRITISH mystery shows are much BETTER than the American mystery shows shy of the ancient OLD/ORIGINAL Law and Order with Jerry Orbach aka Lenny B.

Including the old classic lady detective called VERA.

Almost ALL of the AMERICAN free OTA shows are not that well done in my opinion.

I like some of GRIT and ME TV channels (OLD westerns.) and a bit of the others.

Most of the time, our tv is turned OFF.

We still have some of our OLDER show and movie discs. DVD and Blue Ray ones.

Most of the newer shows/movies that people RAVED about some time ago - well - we thought that they were NOT that great.

We were and still are VERY disappointed in what comes out of Holly-weird. But that has been going on for me for 20 to 30 years. Maybe longer. Just about the same for my MT husband but he always had odd hours so he never saw some shows at all. My late husband felt the same way.

And we have BOYCOTTED and/or looked at some shows from a to z again and got turned off big time due to the actors and plots. Etc.!

Donation time to the library, again, including some that we did like but passed on some CLASSICS to people who may not be able to even see them for free.

I would not give jack squat for a cable or dish subscription and I would NOT buy Netflix, Amazon whatever movie/tv and all of the others that are a PAY deal.

We did BUY and we still enjoy the Longmire discs, the original Godfather, the ORIGINAL Law and Order discs, our CLASSIC shows/movies, etc.

I get your POINT though about the FAR LEFT crapola in any type of MASS MEDIA and in the so called entertainment INDUSTRY. They don't call it PROGRAMMING for no reason!

Do you watch any shows or movies?

Do you only have OTA reception or do you BUY cable/dish or those subscriptions where they hired ALL of the FAR LEFT old politicians?

Some of that stuff on those BUY TYPES of deals like Netflix, Amazon whatever, etc. are just plain VILE if you read what they say about them in the news and the hype about it. AFTER you read the description - you will have to flush your eyes out!

Talk RADIO other than some short sessions with people who are NOT in the FAR RIGHT or FAR LEFT is really, really pathetic and that has ONLY gotten worse. That even includes a LOT OF LOCAL stations in town and LOCAL shows across this country. I get them via my computer for many national and international radio stations AND podcasts. Debates, townhall meetings, current and old historical footage, news, etc.

Man oh man! That is another thread for sure when it comes to talk radio!

LOL

Take care.

Cate
Faulty Towers was a John Cleese production, one of the guys behind Monty Python. He and his Wife at the time stared in it. Years later he gave an interview saying he saw no humor in it and could not understand what people were laughing at which caught me off guard. I thought it was a GREAT comedy.
We dropped Cable for streaming long ago. So sadly we are still sending money to far left Co's just a different way of doing it. Use Concast for provider as it's the only choice where we live. Then have Hulu, Netflix and Amazon to choose from for TV. All of which are sadly left wing too. Seems to be no way around it any more sadly. I have noticed a couple of these places have started to learn that going woke is going broke and started to pull back a little. While back Netflix manager told his people Dave Chappelle was not going away so get over it and Hulu was brave enough to put Blazing Saddles back on the air. That one really shocked me as even HBO was too scared to allow that one on their air.

Faulty Towers was a John Cleese production, one of the guys behind Monty Python. He and his Wife at the time stared in it. Years later he gave an interview saying he saw no humor in it and could not understand what people were laughing at which caught me off guard. I thought it was a GREAT comedy.
We dropped Cable for streaming long ago. So sadly we are still sending money to far left Co's just a different way of doing it. Use Concast for provider as it's the only choice where we live. Then have Hulu, Netflix and Amazon to choose from for TV. All of which are sadly left wing too. Seems to be no way around it any more sadly. I have noticed a couple of these places have started to learn that going woke is going broke and started to pull back a little. While back Netflix manager told his people Dave Chappelle was not going away so get over it and Hulu was brave enough to put Blazing Saddles back on the air. That one really shocked me as even HBO was too scared to allow that one on their air.
Thanks for the information. So you still are dealing with FAR left companies in your own way.

I am willing to go without any internet AGAIN. Been there - done that!

My husband will NOT go without his news and general reading online. He said that he is not going to the library or to the gym to read something off of a computer.

I want something besides Spectrum but I have had NO luck there. I will not repeat that all over again.

Take care.

Cate
PS: I never liked Monty and I only saw that show once. I think (?) that I did see FT a couple of times but I am NOT positive and I was not a regular viewer.

The OLD British comedies that I remember from way back when were not those titles. I CRS now on the titles!

My mom has it.. not real happy with it. It seems just a season or so of many things are available, not all seasons of a series generally so keep an eye out for that.

Thanks for the information. So you still are dealing with FAR left companies in your own way.

I am willing to go without any internet AGAIN. Been there - done that!

My husband will NOT go without his news and general reading online. He said that he is not going to the library or to the gym to read something off of a computer.

I want something besides Spectrum but I have had NO luck there. I will not repeat that all over again.

Take care.

Cate
PS: I never liked Monty and I only saw that show once. I think (?) that I did see FT a couple of times but I am NOT positive and I was not a regular viewer.

The OLD British comedies that I remember from way back when were not those titles. I CRS now on the titles!
If you can get some form of broadband and like Amazon their Prime has some channels that are just British shows. I had one of them for a few months a while back watching a few series from across the water that I had never heard of and liked. IIRC it was like $5 a month for the channel and the shows were commercial free. I hate Jeff and what he does with his money but long ago just gave up trying to avoid him. He could care less and all I was doing was making life harder on me not using him. The streaming is just a bonus to having his Prime. It has a LOT of stuff to choose from.

My mom has it.. not real happy with it. It seems just a season or so of many things are available, not all seasons of a series generally so keep an eye out for that.
This is an informative post.

Thank you for this information!

Cate

If you can get some form of broadband and like Amazon their Prime has some channels that are just British shows. I had one of them for a few months a while back watching a few series from across the water that I had never heard of and liked. IIRC it was like $5 a month for the channel and the shows were commercial free. I hate Jeff and what he does with his money but long ago just gave up trying to avoid him. He could care less and all I was doing was making life harder on me not using him. The streaming is just a bonus to having his Prime. It has a LOT of stuff to choose from.
Hi Alexx,

I don't know jack squat about Amazon other than what I read online now. Plus what I read in the past.

I have never used Amazon. I don't think (???) that they have LIVE human beings when it comes to customer service (800 Numbers.) and you are forced to do every single thing ONLINE off of your computer.

I have heard that they had some type of movies/shows online. I read that here (?) and in some other places in the past.

I have SEEN some links that show BRIT BOX, ACORN, and some other deal that works via a subscription. ALL of thise are British or foreign made shows/movies.

We don't 'buy' stuff online using a computer but we do LOOK at SOME items online.

We buy locally 99.999% of the time. Special order through a store IF something is not in stock and for gun stuff we buy locally and/or special order guns via our FFL.

I might have to break down and call/order something via a human being - conversation or via SNAIL mail for my husband. It is a royal pain to try and find TALL length shirts for him including the nice ones (T shirts.) that he got from LL Bean in the past.

When I got those 2 BUCK brand kitchen knives from Idaho several years ago (Mentioned in another thread.), I spoke to a very nice lady in Idaho! She and I were looking at the KNIVES ONLINE at the same time so I was positive that they were the right size, color, etc. They were PERFECT and exactly what I wanted. They were shipped in a timely manner and packaged perfectly too! GREAT service!

Thanks for the information again.

Take care!

Cate

Some of the British comedies I remember are:
Blackadder
Jeeves and Wooster
Are You Being Served?
As Time Goes By
Keeping Up Appearances
I have seen and heard about those 2 bottom listed shows out here in MT on PBS.

I was not a regular viewer of them but those titles ring a bell.

None of the other shows ring a bell to me at all.

Thank you and take care.

Cate

Hi Alexx,

I don't know jack squat about Amazon other than what I read online now. Plus what I read in the past.

I have never used Amazon. I don't think (???) that they have LIVE human beings when it comes to customer service (800 Numbers.) and you are forced to do every single thing ONLINE off of your computer.

I have heard that they had some type of movies/shows online. I read that here (?) and in some other places in the past.

I have SEEN some links that show BRIT BOX, ACORN, and some other deal that works via a subscription. ALL of thise are British or foreign made shows/movies.

We don't 'buy' stuff online using a computer but we do LOOK at SOME items online.

We buy locally 99.999% of the time. Special order through a store IF something is not in stock and for gun stuff we buy locally and/or special order guns via our FFL.

I might have to break down and call/order something via a human being - conversation or via SNAIL mail for my husband. It is a royal pain to try and find TALL length shirts for him including the nice ones (T shirts.) that he got from LL Bean in the past.

When I got those 2 BUCK brand kitchen knives from Idaho several years ago (Mentioned in another thread.), I spoke to a very nice lady in Idaho! She and I were looking at the KNIVES ONLINE at the same time so I was positive that they were the right size, color, etc. They were PERFECT and exactly what I wanted. They were shipped in a timely manner and packaged perfectly too! GREAT service!

Thanks for the information again.

Take care!

Cate
There is probably some humans somewhere at Amazon but, they are almost totally on line now. Last couple times I had a problem I could not easily find a way to call them. The TV and movies is something they offer to Prime members as a perk of having Prime. We had Prime for many years before I ever bothered to even try the video stuff they offer. Between us and Wife's job Amazon delivers to our place daily so it makes sense for us. For many who still like to actually go to a store it probably would not be worth paying for Amazon just for the video stuff. As long as you have some form of Broadband Internet there is several streaming services to choose from that will let you Ala Cart buy what you want. Roku is one of the ones we use at home. I bought one just for ease of use since our "smart TV" is old and did not want to easily work with all the streaming places we have. So the Roku made it easy. They offer an ala Cart menu of their own where you can pay monthly for different things you want through them too.

Another question to some of you who do NOT watch much tv or mainly watch OTA - free tv when you do turn it on.

Did your ME TV station change to COMET TV and, if so, are you getting any reception now?

I just turned on the boob tube in the wee hours to scroll UP my remote control to PBS for a mystery show and I noticed that ME TV carried by NBC MONTANA is GONE now. (Midnight and on.)

There is a sign up on the screen stating this new channel content name change but NOTHING is showing.

I may call the station in a bit and leave a recorded message but I was going to watch PBS anyway. I will unplug the boob tube and rescan it but it should be on the NBC 13 dot etc. numbers. EXAMPLE: 13.1, 13.2 and 13.3 in my town.

I LOOKED it up and this is what I found:

Sinclair, Scripps stations dropping Me TV digital network

Affiliation agreements with more than a dozen local broadcast stations will end next week, according to a spokesperson.

BY MATTHEW KEYSPOSTED ON AUGUST 26, 2022

MORE on the link.

Oh well, they did have a few good shows on the ME TV channel but most of the time our tv is shut off.

They, NBC MONTANA, took OFF the one old Movies something or the other name (?) channel some time ago. That station showed all types of old movies and they put up CHARGE TV.

CHARGE TV only shows some MOVIES on Saturdays and once in a blue moon on Sundays. I think that MOST of their regular shows stink and MOST of their movies are NOT that great too.

I would NOT have paid for ME tv, the Movies tv one name (?), Charge tv, etc. I would NOT have paid for GRIT tv too.

So I may (?) get the PASSPORT deal for $60. per year even if my tax dollars pay for it too.

If I am NOT happy with it - I will NOT renew it. I do LOVE the old, classic Christmas shows, some of the nature shows, some of the travel shows, some of the concerts, etc.

The English lady who did the PBS British UNFORGOTTEN detective show has a new one out (ANNIKA) that is only on PASSPORT so far too.

The UNFORGOTTEN show LINK is below.

SANJEEV BHASHKAR and NICOLA WALKER were very good in their roles!

THIS is the new one with NICOLA WALKER but I have not seen it yet and it is not on our MT PBS station yet.

Thanks again for your input.

Take care!

Cate

Last Edited:
I looked up the COMET TV link just now and I do remember looking this NAME up in the past now.

I was NOT a regular viewer of ANY of those shows listed on their LINK. Zero!

I did see a bit of the X Files but I was not a regular viewer. Some of them that I saw once in a blue moon were okay. But I was not a regular viewer or some FAN of the show.

I did see some other show that was like the TWILIGHT ZONE with what's his name hosting it. I was NOT a regular weekly viewer of the TZ or his other show - Night Gallery. Some of them were okay and well done (Classics! Good writing.) but I was NOT a huge FAN of those shows.

I NEVER watched Buffy or the other shows. ZERO interest!

I saw Q Leap on a tv station one time many moons ago at a friend's house. That did not interest me.

I was NOT into Star Trek (Original series.) on free tv in my teens - 60's and on. I did see some of the shows but I was NOT a regular viewer. A guy from my old church growing up LOVED that show. I had to LOOK up the ST dates for this show too.

I was NOT into OTHER Star Trek tv shows, later on, and I was NOT into any of the ST movies.

My late husband and my MT husband liked the ORIGINAL - FIRST Star Trek movie. I just LOOKED up that year for the LINK and that was in 1979!

I thought that it was so so. Maybe it was a BIG DEAL in 1979 for many science fiction fans.

I was NOT impressed with the ET movie circa 1982 - I just looked it up. My late husband and another couple wanted to see it so we went to a movie house to watch it.

I TOLD THEM that it was a WASTE of money for ME to go with them. I did go with them and it WAS a waste of money for ME to see it.

I was NOT that impressed way back when and some people RAVED about the ET movie.

I asked my late husband if he was LET DOWN in seeing that ET movie and he told me that he was. He said that some of his OLD science fiction books were much better but people went NUTS over that ET movie so he wanted to see it.

THIS was a better movie and more interesting in the middle 60's and on.

I never read the complete book of Doctor Zhivago. I should READ the entire book and get it from my library.

I figure to each their own and we can pick and choose our literature, movies, plays, tv shows, music, art, etc.

NO problem!

Cate

Another question to some of you who do NOT watch much tv or mainly watch OTA - free tv when you do turn it on.

Did your ME TV station change to COMET TV and, if so, are you getting any reception now?

I just turned on the boob tube in the wee hours to scroll UP my remote control to PBS for a mystery show and I noticed that ME TV carried by NBC MONTANA is GONE now. (Midnight and on.)

There is a sign up on the screen stating this new channel content name change but NOTHING is showing.

I may call the station in a bit and leave a recorded message but I was going to watch PBS anyway. I will unplug the boob tube and rescan it but it should be on the NBC 13 dot etc. numbers. EXAMPLE: 13.1, 13.2 and 13.3 in my town.

I LOOKED it up and this is what I found:

Sinclair, Scripps stations dropping Me TV digital network

Affiliation agreements with more than a dozen local broadcast stations will end next week, according to a spokesperson.

BY MATTHEW KEYSPOSTED ON AUGUST 26, 2022

MORE on the link.

Oh well, they did have a few good shows on the ME TV channel but most of the time our tv is shut off.

They, NBC MONTANA, took OFF the one old Movies something or the other name (?) channel some time ago. That station showed all types of old movies and they put up CHARGE TV.

CHARGE TV only shows some MOVIES on Saturdays and once in a blue moon on Sundays. I think that MOST of their regular shows stink and MOST of their movies are NOT that great too.

I would NOT have paid for ME tv, the Movies tv one name (?), Charge tv, etc. I would NOT have paid for GRIT tv too.

So I may (?) get the PASSPORT deal for $60. per year even if my tax dollars pay for it too.

If I am NOT happy with it - I will NOT renew it. I do LOVE the old, classic Christmas shows, some of the nature shows, some of the travel shows, some of the concerts, etc.

The English lady who did the PBS British UNFORGOTTEN detective show has a new one out (ANNIKA) that is only on PASSPORT so far too.

The UNFORGOTTEN show LINK is below.

SANJEEV BHASHKAR and NICOLA WALKER were very good in their roles!

THIS is the new one with NICOLA WALKER but I have not seen it yet and it is not on our MT PBS station yet.

Thanks again for your input.

Take care!

Cate
Cate, I got a few different channels a few months ago. I saw an on-screen notice recently that they recommend rescanning today due to their reshuffling the deck I suppose.

Cate, I got a few different channels a few months ago. I saw an on-screen notice recently that they recommend rescanning today due to their reshuffling the deck I suppose.
Hello CD,

After I wrote the above, last post, I unplugged the set - waited about 5 minutes, plugged it back in, and rescanned it again.

I know that you sometimes have to do this especially if a storm or something ELSE happens where our local stations go OFF the AIR even though we have a newer boob tube and a good - simple indoor antenna. Plus sometimes we move or adjust the antenna a tiny bit.

The NEW replacement channel called COMET still did not show up. It showed up with the same wording as in my last post. I called KECI and left a message on their machine.

I saw a bit of the morning weather and FIRE information (13.1) which is getting VERY BAD for my friends up north. I flipped back and got the same 'message' on the new channel name. (13.2 - same number but a different name now - COMET.)

Anyway, I took my morning aspirin and I turned OFF the boob tube. IT WAS OFF ALL DAY LONG.

Later on, around dinner time, my husband and I contacted our friends up north to see if they needed any help to EVACUATE their homes/barns/shops due to the fires getting much WORSE as Thursday progressed.

Plus we told them that we made some room in our garage if they needed help in that department and we told them that IF they needed to store something in a movable trailer that they could PARK IT in front of our house due to the fires getting worse ALL over. MT/ID border up north, in other places, etc.

My husband gave our friend complete NEW FIRE DATA and tons more information via his own computer. They made calls back and forth on Thursday with NEW fire information.

Plus the one man is on the Volunteer FD up there too.

At that time, Thursday @ dinner time, I noticed that COMET was working but we turned OFF the boob tube again once we caught the weather/wind/fire information.
KECI, KPAX, and ABC/FOX OTA local stations off of the boob tube and their ONLINE websites = fire checking - weather data PLUS the links and planes fighting them ONLINE that my husband keeps up to date with.

We got COURT TV some time ago (A year or so ago? CRS now.) for free off of the KPAX line up of #8 channels.

NOT too long ago, we got a NEWSY brand name news station off of the KPAX #8 line up of channels too.

We got some other channel (13 something.) that shows stupid people doing stupid things, I have NO clue what the name of that is AND that channel sells products almost all of the time. IT is a stupid channel unless a person chooses to see STUPID PEOPLE doing STUPID THINGS! Ugh.

I am NOT impressed with COMET.

NOT having ME TV for OTA free of charge watching = NO more Perry Mason, NO other older and good westerns, NO old Mannix, etc.

Oh well, and as my husband said we HARDLY HAVE IT ON except if we want to SEE or listen to something like having a RADIO ON or for background noise while I do some paperwork, filing, shredding, sewing, etc. at my desk in the wee hours.

Plus we use the boob tube SCREEN to watch our FEW and declining on purpose Classic Discs off of the combination dvd - blue ray player.

Thanks again! Take care.

Cate

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top