JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Thanks for the feed back, this guy is a dork, always has something contrary to say.

I have never handled a Glock, What happens when you load an empty magazine, rack the slide and pull the trigger? I am sure the gun goes click, what I am uncertain of is the gun capable of re-striking without racking the slide again?
The slide stays back when you rack the slide on a empty mag. Or should and nothing happens when you pull the trigger

When I've taught and been taught DA, SA, DAO, and Striker fire, the differences between the 4 different methods and combinations that some pistols have of them always confuses people. It doesn't surprise me that people who claim to be LEO's are confused by them either.

Heck, how many times have you watched a TV show and heard the 'CLICK' of a hammer being pulled back when the people were carrying Glocks? I lost count a while back. Unless of course they have those special Hollywood Glocks with exposed striker-fire hammers....

Having a discussion with a federal LEO on my favorite Jets site that claims you can not cock a Glock.

I say BS of course you have to cock a Glock, maybe we are arguing semantics?

Thoughts anyone?

Well tell him to carry it without chambering a round and activating the firing pin, striker. See how well he enjoys that useless trigger. Modern guns are cocked by racking the slide.

Alright when someone with a small fluffy dog as their personal pic calls us girls it's time to end it and agree all guns have to be cocked period.
that is the "Lord of Destruction and Bringer of Doom" to you fella, he is only in disguise to lull you into a false sense of security before he strikes.

Unless you have treats of course, then you can be one of his minions. In public with him I have to wear an orange vest that says "Service Human"

I will attempt to give 4 examples of 4 different types/brands of "modern" firearms with 3 different types of trigger systems in hopes of demystifying some of this for those that may be confused. Unless my idea of a modern firearm is incorrect.....

My S&W .380 bodyguard is DAO (double action only) striker fired. I like this because if you have a light strike(only time this applies IMHO) on the primer you can squeeze the trigger again without racking it and often it will fire. In other words you do not have to rack the slide to "cock" it. Of course I would not encourage just squeezing the trigger to try to resolve a failure.

My XDm is a SAO (single action only) striker fired. If you have a light strike you have to rack the slide to be able to have it strike again. I think this is better for training with because in the event of failure, tap and rack is usually a better option than squeezing the trigger again and hoping as this will also clear jams and re-chamber a fresh round in case the previous was a dud versus a light strike. This pistol can only be "cocked" by sliding the rack back.

My current EDC is a Sig P227 that is a modern firearm as far as it was only released on the market last year. It is DA/SA (dual action/single action)with a hammer so you actually can "cock" it without racking the slide. If you get a light strike you can just squeeze the trigger to retry the same round. Having mostly shot revolvers and 1911's when I was a kid, this is my preference. First pull is over 10lbs which is safer for the first shot not accidentally going off (something I put huge importance on knowing how adrenaline can be). Every pull after that is just over 4lbs and much easier to keep on target because of that.

Wife's current EDC is a Desert Eagle 1911 Undercover. It is a SAO hammer fired pistol. You have to "cock" it for the pistol to fire but you do not have to rack the slide as it has a hammer you can use for this purpose as long as you have a round in the chamber. If get a light strike on it (hasn't happened yet on this fine little piece) you can squeeze the trigger again and re-try the same round.

Of course i could of just linked to wiki as it may explain it better than I am able to.
Here is a wiki article on the Semi-automatic pistol. http://bit.ly/1jijuGJ

The thing to keep in mind here is that nowadays, with regards to firearms, general statements like "all modern firearms are cocked by pulling the slide back" are less and less true. First of all, there is almost always an exception to the rule. Second, with all the manufacturers out there today, many of them are purposely trying to break these rules to find new innovations and trends. Many of them are looking for the next "big thing" that can make them money if not "change the game" so to speak. Hope this helps and I didn't muddy it up for ya. :)

that is the "Lord of Destruction and Bringer of Doom" to you fella, he is only in disguise to lull you into a false sense of security before he strikes.

Unless you have treats of course, then you can be one of his minions. In public with him I have to wear an orange vest that says "Service Human"

Alright, that was funny. No response other than yours made me crack up.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top