JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Good evening folks -

Hoping someone more versed in 1911s or non-captured recoil systems can answer my question. Today I replaced my recoil spring in my Dan Wesson Valor 45 ACP with a Wilson Combat 18.5 lb spring, per Dan Wesson's OEM requirement (though the guns come with Wolff 18.5 lb from factory). I had crossed over 2,500 rounds on the original spring and figured it would be a good time to replace it. I never experienced a malfunction in those initial 2,500 rounds.

Upon removing the spring from the package and comparing it to the one in the gun, I noticed there was at least a full inch difference in length between the two with the new one being longer. The slide was much stiffer to rack with the new spring upon install. I installed the new spring and shot about 200 rounds on it and experienced 5 failures, the first ever on this gun. 3 FTF during strings of fire (with one last round somehow popping out of the magazine and just laying in the pre-chamber area causing the jam) and 2 Failure-to-load with a fresh fully loaded mag inserted into slide lock.

The gun had a thin film of oil, and a slight excess was weeping out of the rear rails so I don't think it was a lubrication problem. The more I shot, the smoother the gun seemed to operate (racking the slide back required less force) and in fact most of the malfunctions occurred early in the spring swap upon reflection.The last 50 or so was malfunction free.

Upon removing the new spring from the gun and comparing to the old while cleaning after range session, I noticed that the new spring had compressed to within 1/4-1/2" of the original. To my eyes, it had taken a significant set from the course of fire and now more closely matched the original spring.

My question to those wise in the 1911 way is this: Is it normal/possible that a fresh spring will require a break-in period for the spring to "set" and return the gun to its original 100% reliability and function? Or does this spring swap with subsequent failures unmask a deeper mechanical issue?

Feeling kind of blue since these were my first malfunctions with this 1911 and indeed the first non-break-in malfunctions across all my 1911s that have collectively over 10,000 rounds down range.

Thanks in advance for the help.

70361653912__3732A9EC-FFFD-407E-97DE-76B912BF5B2F.jpeg

Not an expert, but I've read elsewhere, by those who have done, that recoil springs do indeed seem to take a set. How many rounds it takes for that "set" seems to be all over the place.

I'd say if you've experienced no issues in the last 100 or 200 rounds, you're probably good to go. Changing recoil springs can expose weak magazine springs and set off a whole chase your tail to figure it out situation. So there is that to think about as well.

If your not battering the frame, then one would think the recoil spring is still serviceable for the round your presently firing. Just one amateur's random thoughts before caffeine and sugar take effect….

My question to those wise in the 1911 way is this: Is it normal/possible that a fresh spring will require a break-in period for the spring to "set" and return the gun to its original 100% reliability and function? Or does this spring swap with subsequent failures unmask a deeper mechanical issue?
yes, and no.

Long answer: "Most new springs will take a set when they are first compressed. That means they will shorten up. This is a normal event and you should not be immediately alarmed. The greater the stress on the spring, generally the more set that will occur. All Wolff springs take this set into consideration. The ratings of the springs you receive are the ratings after the set has occurred. After set has taken place, the spring should remain essentially stable."

Source worth bookmarking for any 1911 owner.

Always check total length of any action spring for possible spring bind...even if it's new.

Bottom out a spring on a 1911, and you're sure to crack a slide.

Most action springs will show a 'set' shortly after a few rounds.

Always check total length of any action spring for possible spring bind...even if it's new.

Bottom out a spring on a 1911, and you're sure to crack a slide.

Most action springs will show a 'set' shortly after a few rounds.
Thanks all. Sounds like as long as I have another trouble free 100 rounds, I should be good to go. I'll mark the mags in case they are the culprit and show issues down the road.

Wanted to provide an update. Have 150 rounds from the initial spring change with 0 failures. So, springs can definitely need time compressed in the gun or a few rounds down range to take a "set" and return to previous reliability.

No, change it out and run n gun. 1500 rds on a 16 lb recoil spring, 1k-1200 on a Cmdr and Officers every 500.

500 rds on an 3.5" 45 ACP sound excessive but I lost reliability on a Colt Officer's model at 600 and 700 rds. Didn't have any problems when I changed springs at 500 rd interval.

Since, moved to a flat wire spring and have about 300 on it.

No, change it out and run n gun. 1500 rds on a 16 lb recoil spring, 1k-1200 on a Cmdr and Officers every 500.

500 rds on an 3.5" 45 ACP sound excessive but I lost reliability on a Colt Officer's model at 600 and 700 rds. Didn't have any problems when I changed springs at 500 rd interval.

Since, moved to a flat wire spring and have about 300 on it.
Yes, these are the intervals I follow.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads