JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Unfortunately, there are 5 downspouts all connecting underground around the house and then flowing to the street as one. I strongly suspect the break is somewhere in that main pipe under the lawn/garden heading down toward the street. At least I hope so...
If you ever seem to find it's not near your house, but running downhill away, leave it till it rears any issues. But,,,a camera with marker will answer your issues I'm guessing.

Should be all solid wall ABS pipe and a camera is you're best bet in tracking down the problem.
A couple of years back, a house on SW Terwilliger Blvd, slid down the hill and into the house below it after a winter of heavy rainfall.
The owner had some non permitted irrigation work done around his home and the workers had cut through the foundations perimeter drain and blocked it all up.
Lawsuits aplenty and his property is still vacant, as the city won't let him rebuild.
I remember that incident well because my last home was on a hill near that landslide, about the same altitude as the circling news helos. What a mess, huh? How would you like to wake up in the morning with someone else's house sitting on top of yours?

When I had a geo study done at my old place (looking for underground springs and sinkholes under the foundation), the surveyor told me, "these hills are dangerously unstable when they get soggy, everyone in my profession lives out in felony flats."

I remember that incident well because my last home was on a hill near that landslide, about the same altitude as the circling news helos. What a mess, huh? How would you like to wake up in the morning with someone else's house sitting on top of yours?

When I had a geo study done at my old place (looking for underground springs and sinkholes under the foundation), the surveyor told me, "these hills are dangerously unstable when they get soggy, everyone in my profession lives out in felony flats."
What the hell is felony flats?

It was her term for 82nd Ave and east. That was the first time I heard it.

I believe her real point was that the ground is more stable where it's flat than under the steep hills surrounding OHSU and the VA hospital.
I believe it. Boise also has major issues in the foothills. Falling homes. I wouldn't build a home in the Portland hills unless I spent bucks on deep pillars. But hell, I'd never live in the Portland hills.

The West Hills and Coast Range are totally different than the Cascades geologically speaking. They are made of uplifted silts that when soaked tend to slide downhill unlike the stable volcanic basalt of the Cascades. All you have to do is look at the roads crossing both mountain ranges. The Coast range highways have numerous ares of roads sliding down the mountains and a lot of rough areas in the roads due to the inability to stabilize the roadbed. Roads going over the Cascades exhibit non of this other than occasional rock slides along steep cuts. People for some reason want to build where they shouldn't. Driving of pilings is as best a crap shoot as if the hill above you lets loose it is sure to inundate you.

u need to go dowsing with some divining rods like back in the old days

look this rowdy bunch is on it!!
8A6CB5E1-020B-4BAE-8D31-4FCD51B64266.jpeg

:rolleyes::D

the good stuff starts at 1:40 and goes from there

Last Edited:
Years ago I was building a custom addition on the back of a home in the SW Garden Home area.
The house had a very dry basemen until the low ball plumbers that the home owner hired to plumb in the new master bath had cut into the concrete basement floor.
While digging the waste line trench, they cut across an old 4" concrete pipe that drained the uphill side of the foundation drain.
They didn't repair it and covered it up with back fill. The basement would flood every winter after heavy rains.
I hired a crew to dig up the uphill side of the foundation and after running a camera down the perimeter drain pipe we could see a 4" black ABS pipe blocking the pipe.
The solution was to dig up the area where the plumbers cut the drain line, reattach the perimeter concrete pipe and install a waste sump and pump the master bath up and over to original vertical cast iron pipe.
Total cost was over $9,000 bucks when all it would have taken was for the plumbers to dig their trench a little deeper and extend the point where they intersected with the original 4" sewer line.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews