JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
A Landmark Legal Shift Opens Pandora's Box for DIY Guns

Video embedded in that article:

Cody Wilson published the digital files for the Liberator Pistol in 2013 ( Liberator (gun) - Wikipedia ), within the week, was ordered by the US State Department to take the files down under ITAR ( International Traffic in Arms Regulations - Wikipedia ) regulations, and he then filed a lawsuit contending not just a violation of his 2A rights, but a violation of the First Amendment because the government was preventing him from exercising his right to free speech. (FN1)

About two months ago, the DOJ apparently came to the conclusion that it didn't have a leg to stand on and that it was violating the 1A,. It offered a settlement that allows Wilson to freely publish any files he wants to for non-auto firearms less than .50 cal, AND that it will be changing the ITAR regulations to make this clear.

Wilson is now embarking on a project to take exact measurements of many firearms and publish that data on his website: Defense Distributed | It doesn't appear there is anything there yet though (EDIT: I see, goes live Aug 1, 3d printer/CNC enthusiasts take note), but the article showcases a vintage machine costing over $30k (optical comparator: Optical comparator - Wikipedia ) Wilson recently purchased in order to conduct this project . (FN2)

There is a video embedded in the article, both linked above, including commentary by Po Murray of Newtown Action Alliance clearly making threats against DIY gunners. Anyway, the video and article are worth it. Both are produced in a tone of horror which I'm sure gives Wilson immense pleasure.

---
(FN1): My note: If the government had been willing to go to a place where digital files were not protected by the 1A, that would eliminate TV, movies, videos, pictures, audio, even print, from protection under the 1A because digital distribution comprises by far the vast majority of speech distribution these days no matter what the form.

(FN2): I would assume any traffic to Defense Distributed is heavily monitored, especially if you traverse AT&T's network in any fashion and especially if you are a direct customer: The NSA's Hidden Spy Hubs in Eight U.S. Cities Sorry (not), I enjoy dissing AT&T any chance I get because of their willingness to aid in violation of the 4A.

Last Edited:
Gun control's tombstone.... F406F29F-0927-4861-87A8-04CFC6045E5D.png

I like the sound of that! :s0155:

The most hilarious part of this, is that when the State Department shut down his admittedly fragile single shot (per barrel) Liberator files, he developed a milling machine which completes aluminum 80% lowers (AR15 and 1911) and sold thousands of them in order to fund the lawsuit. Unintended consequences.

A Landmark Legal Shift Opens Pandora's Box for DIY Guns

Video embedded in that article:

Cody Wilson published the digital files for the Liberator Pistol in 2013 ( Liberator (gun) - Wikipedia ), within the week, was ordered by the US State Department to take the files down under ITAR ( International Traffic in Arms Regulations - Wikipedia ) regulations, and he then filed a lawsuit contending not just a violation of his 2A rights, but a violation of the First Amendment because the government was preventing him from exercising his right to free speech. (FN1)

About two months ago, the DOJ apparently came to the conclusion that it didn't have a leg to stand on and that it was violating the 1A,. It offered a settlement that allows Wilson to freely publish any files he wants to for non-auto firearms less than .50 cal, AND that it will be changing the ITAR regulations to make this clear.

Wilson is now embarking on a project to take exact measurements of many firearms and publish that data on his website: Defense Distributed | It doesn't appear there is anything there yet though (EDIT: I see, goes live Aug 1, 3d printer/CNC enthusiasts take note), but the article showcases a vintage machine costing over $30k (optical comparator: Optical comparator - Wikipedia ) Wilson recently purchased in order to conduct this project . (FN2)

There is a video embedded in the article, both linked above, including commentary by Po Murray of Newtown Action Alliance clearly making threats against DIY gunners. Anyway, the video and article are worth it. Both are produced in a tone of horror which I'm sure gives Wilson immense pleasure.

---
(FN1): My note: If the government had been willing to go to a place where digital files were not protected by the 1A, that would eliminate TV, movies, videos, pictures, audio, even print, from protection under the 1A because digital distribution comprises by far the vast majority of speech distribution these days no matter what the form.

(FN2): I would assume any traffic to Defense Distributed is heavily monitored, especially if you traverse AT&T's network in any fashion and especially if you are a direct customer: The NSA's Hidden Spy Hubs in Eight U.S. Cities Sorry (not), I enjoy dissing AT&T any chance I get because of their willingness to aid in violation of the 4A.
Nice break down

The whole thing was ITARded to begin with.

The government needs to stop impeding technological progress and let the market decide outcome.

Cody and those in the 3d community created so much so fast I can't wait to see what comes out next. Reminds me a bit of mp3s a technology everyone was using but was controversial and eventually led to the digital streaming world we have today but was strongly opposed in the beginning.

A far cry from the s3m and mtm technology that came before.

I can't wait to see what this evolves into, my guess is more freedom like other technology has produced, with also new unique ways people can try and stop it because they have a twisted ludite view of the world..

Wow, a lot of emotion, hyperbole, bias and completely unfounded claims of what the future will hold in that article. It's clear the folks at Wired, who should be championing such freedom, are clearly all-in for suppressing free speech - at least when it's something they don't agree with.

And naturally, they wouldn't dare suggest that someone building their own car couldn't possibly be dangerous. Or forging their own knives, swords, axes, etc. Crap, anyone can construct a simple shiv out of just about any sturdy material, and use it to injure or kill numerous people. You can assemble common household cleaners into incredibly deadly poisons and gasses. But yeah, it's the thought of a bad person buying a $100,000 milling machine, downloading a damn file and creating a gun they use to go on a killing spree. Newsflash folks, bad people won't waste time with such things - they'll do what they always do, steal a gun, use the black market or a straw sale.

The level of hype, hypocrisy and flat out lying is just too much to stomach.

Wow, a lot of emotion, hyperbole, bias and completely unfounded claims of what the future will hold in that article. It's clear the folks at Wired, who should be championing such freedom, are clearly all-in for suppressing free speech - at least when it's something they don't agree with.

And naturally, they wouldn't dare suggest that someone building their own car couldn't possibly be dangerous. Or forging their own knives, swords, axes, etc. Crap, anyone can construct a simple shiv out of just about any sturdy material, and use it to injure or kill numerous people. You can assemble common household cleaners into incredibly deadly poisons and gasses. But yeah, it's the thought of a bad person buying a $100,000 milling machine, downloading a damn file and creating a gun they use to go on a killing spree. Newsflash folks, bad people won't waste time with such things - they'll do what they always do, steal a gun, use the black market or a straw sale.

The level of hype, hypocrisy and flat out lying is just too much to stomach.

I couldn't agree more!

Contrast that with the EFF (Electronic Frontier Foundation):

San Francisco-based Electronic Frontier Foundation filed an amicus brief in support of Wilson's lawsuit.

"The issue in this case wasn't whether it's good or bad for people to have the ability to make guns," said Kit Walsh, senior staff attorney for the EFF, on Wednesday. "Rather, the issue was whether the government's process for banning and permitting online speech had adequate safeguards … Those safeguards are important to prevent discriminatory application of the law and ensure that speech isn't restricted in an overbroad way — whatever you think of the speech in this particular case."

From this article: 3D-printed guns: Settlement paves way for DIY weapons

In looking into the EFF to try to determine which side of the gun debate they might lean toward, I found this interesting tidbit.

From their Electronic Frontier Alliance page.

We welcome organizations pursuing a wide range of interests to endorse the principles, which relate to fundamental rights necessary to many forms of advocacy. We anticipate participation from diverse movements such as Occupy, the Tea Party, Black Lives Matter, and the movements for immigrant rights, drug policy reform, peace and justice, gun rights, and others.

I'll admit, I'm surprised. Sounds like they're an organization consistent to their principles rather than politics.

In looking into the EFF to try to determine which side of the gun debate they might lean toward, I found this interesting tidbit.

From their Electronic Frontier Alliance page.

I'll admit, I'm surprised. Sounds like they're an organization consistent to their principles rather than politics.

We'll have to keep an eye on them. Not many orgs can have that level of even handedness. Kudos to them if they remain consistent.

We'll have to keep an eye on them. Not many orgs can have that level of even handedness. Kudos to them if they remain consistent.

I agree. Looking at the groups they're involved with, I think there was a size-able risk they'd alienate a good portion their supporters by filing that amicus. My highest admiration goes to people and organizations whose actions are guided by principles rather than perception or politics, and I just made a donation. Looking forward to my sweet hoodie :D

hoodie-group500.jpg

ive been getting CAD files for receivers and other parts off of grabcad for over a year now.

I have done up fully functional AR9 lowers and uppers from solid blocks of aluminum. Although, 3D printing is way easier.

This is great but a lot of important gun parts are still steel and outside the scope of 3D printers within the budget of most people. Yeah there's metal 3D printing but as far as my limited knowledge goes there's a lot of post processing that goes after the "printing" part to sinter etc. I think for now, home made guns are mostly still in the realm of the lathe and mill but this court decision is sure to spur the development and lower the cost of the newer processes :)

Just the thought of the vapors this gives hoplophobes makes it worthwhile :):):)

This is great but a lot of important gun parts are still steel and outside the scope of 3D printers within the budget of most people. Yeah there's metal 3D printing but as far as my limited knowledge goes there's a lot of post processing that goes after the "printing" part to sinter etc. I think for now, home made guns are mostly still in the realm of the lathe and mill but this court decision is sure to spur the development and lower the cost of the newer processes :)

Just the thought of the vapors this gives hoplophobes makes it worthwhile :):):)

I'll download them all, if for no other reason than to piss them off.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top