JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The Mercury is more than just reliably liberal, its screaming. And it has more than just mostly cultural stuff, it tackles politics and news also. I too was really surprised to see the guns in the photos. I was considering sending them an email offering kudos for portraying guns in a positive light, not a demonizing one. With that, though, I was considering posing a question to them to find out what the editorial departments views on 2nd Amendment rights and/or gun control are. If more people in the liberal community are pro-gun than I thought, this is a very good thing, a common ground that can be built upon. If both sides of the political isle realize that an armed populace is a necessity for all of us to be free, we are in much better shape.

The Mercury is more than just reliably liberal, its screaming. And it has more than just mostly cultural stuff, it tackles politics and news also. I too was really surprised to see the guns in the photos. I was considering sending them an email offering kudos for portraying guns in a positive light, not a demonizing one. With that, though, I was considering posing a question to them to find out what the editorial departments views on 2nd Amendment rights and/or gun control are. If more people in the liberal community are pro-gun than I thought, this is a very good thing, a common ground that can be built upon. If both sides of the political isle realize that an armed populace is a necessity for all of us to be free, we are in much better shape.

Liberals are useful idiots for a communist takeover. Lenin's own words, there

Unless they wake up and smell the coffee as individuals ans stop drinking the communist koolaide they will continue to work as a group to undermine our liberties

Hey wait a minute now. I'm a liberal and I am pro-2nd ammendment, anti-illegal immigration, pro-choice, pro capitol punishment, pro environment, anti-global warming, pro-socialized healthcare, anti- forcing kids to learn sppanish, and pro/anti a lot of issues on both sides of the fence. I agree that people should have the right to bare arms. I have also studied Lenin deeply and I have never read that quote from him. can you please provide a link to your source? thanks.

Dude, you are a unicorn. the mythical character of fairytales. " a liberal, 2nd ammendment, pro freedom, etc,etc., You statistically don't exist! Read the Communist Manifesto, Das Capital, and the works of Marx.
Really? do you exist? I think not! Greydog.:s0112:
By the way, read this..."Truth is narrow by nature and is absolute". "Tolerance is the virtue of a man with no conviction".

I assure you. I exist. And i am not a unicorn... you could have chosen a more manly creature (like the minotaur or phoenix or griffin, or a myriad of other things) rather than a unicorn... Anyways, I may be that anomoly in the system (I know, Matrix reference. don't slap me) because I come from a different background than most. Being of eastern european birth and immigrated to the US (through proper procedure and learned english in school - the way it should be and didnt demand anyone learn Romanian), and so have been exposed to many ideas and ideals from all sides of the spectrum while growing up (father is Iraqi Kurd, mother is Romanian) I think I have developed a distinct way of analyzing things. I look at things logically, and don't follow what some person in a suit tells me. I do the research for myself and see the pros and cons to each side. For example, gun control. Its a stupid idea. The people who are for it don't make any sense and are not thinking logically. Their train of thought is "criminals use guns to commit crimes, so lets ban guns"... well problem with that is that if it is against the law to have guns, it will only keep the law abiding from doing it. But a criminal BY DEFINITION is someone who does not follow the law. So creating laws against those who are already breaking laws is not a logical move. On the other hand, allowing people to be armed, WILL make a criminal think twice. Most criminals are opportunist offenders. They look for the easy take. If they suspect someone to be armed to make their criminal act harder or impossible, they will not try it (we talked about this in school - criminal justice major). I still hear people talking about how Obama will take their guns and blah blah blah. Its not gonna happen. He has much more important things to deal with than gun-control (healthcare - cuz he hasnt done squat yet, the oil spill, immigration, the wars in the Middle East, etc etc). So logically, that is not something he will try to tackle at the moment. Now looking at my view on pro-choice (in regards to abortion). I agree with pro-choice, only if it is before the end of the first tri-mester. Logically, it does not make sense to bring a person into the world if you know you will not be able to provide for it, and giving it up for adoption is not an assured way of making sure that person will be provided for. There are so many overcrowded orphanages in this world (especially in eastern europe) that we do not need to be adding to that populace. Yes i also agree that if they cant afford to have kids, then they shouldnt be sexually active. I can go on and on about this, but really do not want to hi-jack this thread. Btw, i have read the Communist Manifesto, infact i have it here on a shelf on top of my pc desk. I have not read Das Kapital. Is it good? Also, are those quotes actual quotes or are they titles to articles/books/papers/essays?

In regards to the original thread... babes with guns are awesome. :s0114:

The quotes are indeed quotes. The first one is from Dr Norman Gueisler, a christian author and philosopher of world renown, the second one is from C.K. Chesterson, Also a conservative, christian, man of great courage and conviction.
Here's another for you. "Extreemism in the defense of liberty is no vice, and moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue" Look it up bro.
To justify the murder of an unborn child because you made a bad choice with your sex life is still murder. I'm surprised that you have'nt heard of Das Kapital. Both are works of Karl Marx and Engles. All eastern europeans should know these works. The Communist philosophy is derived from these works. And, yes, unicorn fits all mixed bag liberals. You can't straddle the fence. Please reread the two origional quotes for reference. Greydog, saved by the grace of Jesus, forgiven by the blood of the cross.

Last Edited:
Greydog, see, thats where our opinions differ. I dont see it as an unborn child. I dont even see it as a person yet. Science does not see it as a person yet, and neither does the law. So it is not murder, since murder is a legal term. Also, i didnt say I havent heard of Das Kapital, i just havent read it. Thirdly, I CAN straddle the fence, thats what I love about this country. The fact that I have the freedom to choose is what makes it so great. Anyone who says otherwise is no better than Stalin, Hitler, Saddam, Ceausescu, and numerous other dictators who persecuted, and in some cases executed, those who did not agree with their views. You cannot say that you believe in freedom this or freedom that and then on the other hand say things like "you can't straddle the fence" and "Tolerance is the virtue of a man with no conviction", for then you look like a hipocrit. If you want TRUE freedom, you cannot dictate to others that only you're way is right, and their's is wrong. Then it is no longer freedom. And this idea that "Extreemism in the defense of liberty is no vice" is along the same ideas that insurgents in Iraq and the Taliban in Afghanistan and the Palestinian suicide bombers follow. Another example is the all too commonly used phrase "Give me freedom, or give me death." Americans are quick to forget that once, they too were considered terrorists by a nation which once occupied them. I dont understand how or why the conservatives in this country have adopted such a totalitarian view of things. If the right is REALLY about the freedom of the people and not letting the government control their lives, then they should not be demanding abortion be illegal. It is the mother's choice, HER FREEDOM, to do as she wishes. I was not just speaking about mistakes in a person's sex life. That was just an example. Another would be a rape victim (which probably would not be a rape victim if she had been armed).

This conversation seems like it is going to lead to some name calling (it already has, and I don't appreciate it), so I rather just end it here. I am not trying to convince you to see anything differently, i was just stating that not all liberals are the same, just as not all conservatives are either. I will not be swayed by you in my ways, and neither you by me in yours. So i will just leave you with an Arabic quote. "Religion and Politics, discuss neither of these, for neither of these will bring you friends, though they will bring you enemies".

what does it cover?

Mostly arts and entertainment - music listings, film reviews, etc. It has an interesting feature story from time to time and a couple of reporters who focus almost entirely on city politics. Kind of like the Willamette Week, but less news-focused, and oriented toward the 18 - 40 set.

You "don't get it" as in don't understand or dont receive it?

hah.. both. i dont understand what i'm looking at, nor the significance of it. the website has some pretty gay articles, and the comments the "readers" are leaving are mutually lame. it appears they ran this cover story to be artistically counter-culture. i seriously doubt theres any pro-gunness to it, nor anti-gunness. it's just what some photographer thought would be unique, and stir some interest in his work by running it through a typically liberal paper. seems a little "manufactured," for lack of a better term.

i'm not really saying anything, just conveying some thoughts.

We have the same thoughts. It is very artificial, and its too bad that they used firearms for cheap shock value to get people just to pick it up and see what it is all about. Seems very much like a "HEY LOOK AT ME" attempt more than a fashion statement...

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top