JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Non story, but a calculated one by Dicks. This decision will be made by accountants since I would imagine that gun sales / hunting items are a very slim slice of Dicks overall sales. Management / Marketing has probably decided to exit the gun segment and figured out a way to do it so that they accomplish a couple objectives.

But making a gradual exit they can spin it that the sales are down. What better way to get media exposure than say gun sales are down ??
So they exit a market that is politically charged and that they cannot really compete in anyway given the number of gun retailers. Gives them plenty of time to find additions to the marketing mix to take the place of guns and hunting items anyway. In urban areas and their primary markets it is a declining segment, so eject now and back fill with something else. Classic retail strategy.

Classic retail strategy.

After clearing out the guns and hunting gear they'll have more room for yoga pants and metrosexual handbags. Makes sense to cater to the people that love them most.

P.S. the note at the bottom of the article about removing the words 'assault rifle' are a welcome change. Wish more of the media would get that straight.

Last Edited:
Just helps to give that much more of the market for regional chains like Sportsmans. Dicks is basically for gym clothes for the kiddos as well as soccer mom stuff. They might want to do a merger with a craft store chain like Michaels.

Just helps to give that much more of the market for regional chains like Sportsmans. Dicks is basically for gym clothes for the kiddos as well as soccer mom stuff. They might want to do a merger with a craft store chain like Michaels.
Don't knock Michales like that and suggest that vileness.

I used to buy ammo at Dick's. Made a game of their reward points and $10 vouchers. After their policy decisions, and more importantly, funding anti-gun initiatives, I have not stepped foot in their store and am willing to pay a few pennies more elsewhere. F'em. They can go the way of Kmart and Sears for all I care.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top